Sign in with
Your question

CPU Throttling Framerate?

Last response: in CPUs
December 20, 2010 12:14:04 PM

Hey everyone, this is my first post - so go easy on me! hehe!

I currently have
Gigabyte MA770-UD3 Motherboard (AM2+)
4GB DD2 RAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Palit Geforce GTX 460 1024MB

I've always been an avid PC Gamer, I recently upgraded from the 8800GTS.

When I run Bad Company 2 @ 1600 x 900, 4xAA, all preferences to high - my framerate drops to around 18fps quite often.
Although it's a new game, I wouldn't have thought it would be too taxing for the GFX card at that resolution.

Is my CPU causing a bottleneck responsible for this disappointing framerate?

If so, would I notice much improvement jumping to a Phenom II Quad Core 995?
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2010 12:31:38 PM

Try overclocling the CPU and see if you see some boost in FPS. It you do, then you would know what to change.
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2010 12:41:56 PM

you would have to gather avg framerates in assorted common benchmarks to do a useful comparison to other cpus....

The GTX is a nice mid-range card, and should do well at moderate resolutions as you are playing in, but, there will be some cpu scaling at such moderate resolutions....; additionally, all video cards/systems will have framerate drops to a minimum, some lower than others, but some framerate drops might be inherent with the game..

4xAA chokes a lot of extra gpu power from a card, try running with AA off....

(Additionally, as to Phenom suport, you'd need to check Gigabytes website, reference your mainboard, to see if the Phenom is supported by your mainboard and/or it's BIOS...; I d suspect it is not, but, they would know for sure.)
Related resources
December 20, 2010 1:16:35 PM

Actually that board supports the Phenom X6 chips too!
December 20, 2010 1:18:25 PM

Also, when I run 3dmark06, the CPU tests barely scrape through at 2fps
!