Hi U all....
Hi Wesley :)

After spending most of the summer pondering about why my computer randomly
at least a dozen times a day seemingly unmotivated rebooted itself, I lately
got a BSOD with an error number to be pursued.

That error number told me that the reboot was probably due to a faulty
memory.
Acting like a memory jockey yanking out and mounting each of the four 512MB
chips and reboot quest did not reveal a faulty memory strip.

Since I have recently upgraded to 2GB of RAM I started to aggressively
search the net for solutions to memory problems.
One tips that caught my attention was an advice to reduce the speed of the
RAM in BIOS.
I reduced the DDR ratio in the BIOS from 200 to 133, and ever since then
there hasn't been a single hiccup.
The change have no substantial effect on the computer's allover speed.

Now I have reinstalled all hardware including two IDE 80GB HDD, one USB 80GB
HDD and a SATA2 500GB HDD, my thought to be faulty SB Live! 24 bit, and
WinAmp, and it all works just fine.
I'm a big grin to day....

I have stressed the puter to the max running a dozen apps simultaneously
including, MSIE, Windows Explorer, WinAmp, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook,
Corel Draw, Doom3, Notepad, Hardwood Hearts, Hardwood Solitaire III,
Hardwood Spades, Hardware Euchre, Clue and Wordweb. No crash!!

That my friends, means that this Norwegian nutty nerd old-timer has a fine
working computer with a whopping 740MB HDD space, or as I prefer to call it
a ¾ of a terabyte!
Am I allowed to call it a small terabyte, or do I lack ten MB to do just
that?
:))

This is where I got the tipses:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic29652.html
http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-77521.html
http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/432-p1.php
And you'll all find the error list here:
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
This last link was particular helpful!

This contribution to this NG just to may help others who might have
unexplainable difficulties with their computer.

Tanks to all of you NG saviours!

--

Regards
Zadig Galbaras

In news:dde3ep$dji$1@services.kq.no,
Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> typed:

> That my friends, means that this Norwegian nutty nerd old-timer
> has a
> fine working computer with a whopping 740MB HDD space, or as I
> prefer
> to call it a ¾ of a terabyte!
> Am I allowed to call it a small terabyte, or do I lack ten MB
> to do
> just that?

Not even close to a terabyte, even if you added 10MB. You
probably mean 740GB, not MB.

Please reply to the newsgroup

sorry. Yes I mean 740GB....
I've never been that close to a terabyte......
But one day, my friend, one day....

--

"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> skrev i melding
> In news:dde3ep$dji$1@services.kq.no,
> Zadig Galbaras <tresfjording@gmail.com> typed:
>
>> That my friends, means that this Norwegian nutty nerd old-timer has a
>> fine working computer with a whopping 740MB HDD space, or as I prefer
>> to call it a ¾ of a terabyte!
>> Am I allowed to call it a small terabyte, or do I lack ten MB to do
>> just that?
>

> Not even close to a terabyte, even if you added 10MB. You probably mean
> 740GB, not MB.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

If your computer was rebooting automagically by itself then you probably had
the Automatically Restart on System Failure set. With this turned off you
would get a BSOD rather than an automatic restart (which is useless because
you have no idea why the system restarted). Go to the System Control Panel
(Right Click on My Computer, choose Properties), then choose the Advanced
tab. Then the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. Uncheck
Automatically Restart under System Failure. From then on instead of
mysteriously restarting you will at least get a BSOD with some error
information you can search the MS KB for.

"Zadig Galbaras" <tresfjording@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi U all....
> Hi Wesley :)
>
> After spending most of the summer pondering about why my computer randomly
> at least a dozen times a day seemingly unmotivated rebooted itself, I
> lately got a BSOD with an error number to be pursued.
>
> That error number told me that the reboot was probably due to a faulty
> memory.
> Acting like a memory jockey yanking out and mounting each of the four
> 512MB chips and reboot quest did not reveal a faulty memory strip.
>
> Since I have recently upgraded to 2GB of RAM I started to aggressively
> search the net for solutions to memory problems.
> One tips that caught my attention was an advice to reduce the speed of the
> RAM in BIOS.
> I reduced the DDR ratio in the BIOS from 200 to 133, and ever since then
> there hasn't been a single hiccup.
> The change have no substantial effect on the computer's allover speed.
>
> Now I have reinstalled all hardware including two IDE 80GB HDD, one USB
> 80GB HDD and a SATA2 500GB HDD, my thought to be faulty SB Live! 24 bit,
> and WinAmp, and it all works just fine.
> I'm a big grin to day....
>
> I have stressed the puter to the max running a dozen apps simultaneously
> including, MSIE, Windows Explorer, WinAmp, Word, Excel, Powerpoint,
> Outlook, Corel Draw, Doom3, Notepad, Hardwood Hearts, Hardwood Solitaire
> III, Hardwood Spades, Hardware Euchre, Clue and Wordweb. No crash!!
>
> That my friends, means that this Norwegian nutty nerd old-timer has a fine
> working computer with a whopping 740MB HDD space, or as I prefer to call
> it a ¾ of a terabyte!
> Am I allowed to call it a small terabyte, or do I lack ten MB to do just
> that?
> :))
>

> This is where I got the tipses:
> http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic29652.html
> http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-77521.html
> http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/432-p1.php
> And you'll all find the error list here:
> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
> This last link was particular helpful!
>
> This contribution to this NG just to may help others who might have
> unexplainable difficulties with their computer.
>
> Tanks to all of you NG saviours!
>

> --
>
> Regards
> Zadig Galbaras
> A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic
> -----

Hi J.V.

Very useful advice, but already implemented.
That's why I found the mentioned error number.

But thank you for your concern...