Which new GPU should i buy for my Machine?

Hi everyone!

Im looking for a new nVidia GPU for my computer since my old 1 got burned :cry: ... due to a recent thunder storm i guess ><
So, my specs are:

CPU: Intel Q9300
CPU Cooler: OCZ Vindicator
RAM: OCZ 4GB DDR2 With Heatsink plates
MoBo: Asus P5k
PSU: Thermaltake 600W
Case: NZXT Hush (mid tower) + GPU fan card
(the old GPU was Twintech nVidia GeForce 9800GTX 512MB DDR3)

Well, basiclly Im a gamer and I dont think ill overclock the GPU.
Im lookin for the best choice for my computer for best performance and without a bottle neck.
Thats it!

Thanks for the help :D
11 answers Last reply
More about which machine
  1. Pretty much the best one you can afford, assuming 1080p gaming.

Well the best choices would be 460, 470, 570 for nvidia depending on budget. The 480/580 are overpriced and unless you're going for overkill, two 460s is less money for similar/better performance.
  2. lol that was fast.
    for some reason i thought these cards would cause a bottle neck =)

Thanks!
  3. I have another question..
    Does it really matters which manufacturer i choose?
    ive always preffered to buy known companies like asus or BFG...
    but ive found a good priced GTX570 from EVGA and im wondering....

sry for the spam...
  4. The bottle neck will depend on your resolution if you are gaming at 1920x1080 with a 570 there will be a bottleneck and a 460 is really all you need.
  5. EVGA is a good brand.

I doubt there will be much bottlenecking at 1080, certainly it shouldn't be below 60fps.

That said, a little more CPU performance can definitely show some benefits and OP should consider getting a heat sink and bumping it up to 3.5ghz or so. Something simple like a Hyper 212 Plus.
  6. I would recommend you getting a 5850 if you want a descent type of gaming or a gtx 460 as most of users recommended.

BTW, What is your budget?

And I guess that your GPU didn't burn but was fucked up due to some other issues, lyer.
  7. BlazinBlack said:
    Hi everyone!

Im looking for a new nVidia GPU for my computer since my old 1 got burned :cry: ... due to a recent thunder storm i guess ><
    So, my specs are:

CPU: Intel Q9300
    CPU Cooler: OCZ Vindicator
    RAM: OCZ 4GB DDR2 With Heatsink plates
    MoBo: Asus P5k
    PSU: Thermaltake 600W
    Case: NZXT Hush (mid tower) + GPU fan card
    (the old GPU was Twintech nVidia GeForce 9800GTX 512MB DDR3)

Well, basiclly Im a gamer and I dont think ill overclock the GPU.
    Im lookin for the best choice for my computer for best performance and without a bottle neck.
    Thats it!

Thanks for the help :D

What resolution r u playing at?
  8. Your old computer got broken due to a lightning storm/electrical surge and for some unkown reason I do not see a UPS listed in your parts list...
  9. ^lol

Actually makes me remember something... get your house grounded properly! You shouldn't be affected by surges if you have a proper house ground.
  10. thanks to every 1 for the replies!
    Now for my answers:
    1. I did recently bought a UPS
    2. I did overclock the CPU once to 3.0 (maximum stability i could get)
    3. The resolution for now is 1280x1024... but ill get a 1080 24' LED as soon as i get the card.
    4. Budget is unknown but it can be pretty good (no overkill though)
  11. For 1080p I wouldn't go less than a GTX460 768mb, or 1gb for just a bit more money. Higher than that, I'd suggest GTX470, Radeon 6870, Radeon 6950, GTX570, Radeon 6970. Whichever you can spend the cash on. I don't think you'll need a new PSU for any of those.
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Computer Components