Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
i got a new build a week ago:

Athlon II x4 640
4G DDR3 Rendition by Crucial 1333 Memory
MSI 790x-G45
HIS 5770 1G
CoolMaster Case
Inland 500W PSU (Microcenter inhouse brand)
2x Acer x193w + X2Gen MW19R eyefinity
USB keyboard+mice

the problem is that it has shut down three times so far unexpectedly.

however, these shut down happened over two different night at two different houses, with nobody using it.

when i was actually using it for either work or gaming, it never did this.

so, what might be the problem? and what i should do with it?

thanks

Solution
if it happened over night while no one was using it maybe it just went into sleep or hibernate. When you start it back up does it tell you windows was not shut down properly? Check your power options to see if this is happening. Don't know if you already checked this but, just starting with the easy stuff.

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
if it happened over night while no one was using it maybe it just went into sleep or hibernate. When you start it back up does it tell you windows was not shut down properly? Check your power options to see if this is happening. Don't know if you already checked this but, just starting with the easy stuff.

Solution

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Thanks.

yeah, when I boot up, it didn't ask me to resume windows, rather, it ask me if I want to start windows normally, once booted in, windows 7 told me it was shutdown unexpectedly.

The thing is, over the past week, it probably went into sleep every day, but I only have problem in two nights. So I don't think its the sleep/hibernation problem...

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I dont know, its from my friend's old rig.

I thought about replacing it, but im afraid it won't solve the problem, since it doesn't look like its overloading (nobody was using it when it shuts down).

Im wondering if its the electricity problem ( like it shuts down for an instant or two then back up again).

I probably can just goto frys and get a new PSU, see if it will fix it. Its hard to know for sure, since its not a easily reproducible event..

This is most likely your problem.

Power supply quality is critical for a stable computer. No-name or bottom tier brands not only create an unstable system, they can damage your hardware.

I suggest you replace the PSU with a better brand/model. Antec, SeaSonic, Enermax, Corsair, XFX, PC Power & Cooling are among the best. Silverstone, FSP, and Sparkle make some good ones too but you need to check the amperage on the individual models.

Out of curiosity, can you look and post back how many amps the +12V rail has listed on the sticker on your PSU?

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

I probably will do that, I just bought a APC Power protection unit.

I am still puzzled as to why it shuts down when nobody use it, apparent during the hibernation or sleep, rather than during the intense usage? if PSU is indeed the problem..

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I now beliebe this is a driver inconsistency problem, the error code of windows are:
BCCode: 9f
BCP1: 0000000000000003
BCP2: FFFFFA80039D4060
BCP3: FFFFF80000B9C518
BCP4: FFFFFA80067E6D30

it says a driver is causing problem when system try to sleep. I installed a user home made driver for my USB wireless card because its official driver doesn't support win 7. I will try to remove it and see if it helps.

I dont think catalyst 10.9 has any such know problem with win 7 sleep?