Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC Mid-Range - Max. 900$

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 25, 2010 4:10:00 PM

I am looking to build a new PC mainly for gaming, office work and digital content creation. The budget for this build is a max. of 900 $ (I'm from Romania, so the prices here will be a little higher, but this budget should be OK).
I already have:

Display: 1680x1050 LCD (HD Ready)
HDD: 2x500 GB SATA 7200 RPM
CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja Rev. B (12 HPs). (unfortunately this version has support for LGA775 only, not for the LGA1156)
DVD-RW device.

I don't intend to OC this PC too much, I would settle for a 20% boost.

The configuration I was thinking about is:

CPU: Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz box
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 XMS3 rev. A dual channel kit
MB: ASRock P55 Pro
GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 460 Golden Sample 2GB DDR5 256-bit
PSU: Seasonic M12II-520 Bronze 520W
Case: Recom PowerStation Evo black

I picked the ASRock MB because it has that LGA775/LGA1156 Combo Cooler changer, enabling me to use the Scythe Ninja on the CPU.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

More about : mid range max 900

a b B Homebuilt system
September 25, 2010 4:19:23 PM

You absolutely do not need 2GB, drop down to 1GB or even 768MB and save a couple bucks.

Otherthan that, solid build. Might want a SLI board for not much more for upgradability.

What are the prices BTW?

September 25, 2010 4:31:09 PM

Timop said:
You absolutely do not need 2GB, drop down to 1GB or even 768MB and save a couple bucks.

Otherthan that, solid build. Might want a SLI board for not much more for upgradability.

What are the prices BTW?


I will try to approximate the prices (convert them from my currency to USDs)

CPU: Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz box
257$

RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 XMS3 rev. A dual channel kit
123$

MB: ASRock P55 Pro
122$

GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 460 Golden Sample 2GB DDR5 256-bit
332$ ( vs. 1GB version is 298$ and 768MB is 212$ )

PSU: Seasonic M12II-520 Bronze 520W
128$

Case: Recom PowerStation Evo black
93$

I thought that the 2GB version would help me in Photoshop or Illustrator, but I guess the 1GB will do just fine. I don't mind playing a game at mid-high settings without all the AA options, but I would like to get decent frame rates at 1680x1050. Would the 768MB be sufficient for decent frame rates in FPS games (mainly, AVA and COD:MW2, for example?). Thanks!
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 25, 2010 4:34:55 PM

Vram has nothing to do with Photoshop performance, in fact the GPU does only basic OpenGL accelerations that even an IGP could handle.

For Adobe, you'll be MUCH better off with a 8GB set of RAM.

768MB should be sufficient for your resolution, the difference between the 1GB and 768MB is only ~3% at 1680*1050.
September 25, 2010 7:42:37 PM

I will get the Palit GeForce GTX 460 768MB DDR5 192-bit then (it's cheaper) and I am now thinking of getting a ASRock P55 Deluxe3 Motherboard. It has both SLI and Crossfire support and some other nice fearures (true 333, PCIe 8x - 8x - which I think is the limitation for this socket). Is the power supply good enough for SLI with 2 x GTX460 768MB cards? Or do I need at least a >600W model?
September 26, 2010 11:04:23 AM

I started a thread in the hardware>psu section of the forum, so I will wait for answers there regarding the SLI problem.

Thanks for the help!
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2010 1:37:31 PM

Oh sorry, I didnt see this thread for some reason.

On the PSU, the 520W will struggle, with a 760 you will barely have 30W of headroom left and will be in no shape to OC. Though at stock clocks it should do the job fine.

Ideally for 2 460s, You'd want a quality 600-650W model.
September 26, 2010 2:35:39 PM

Timop said:
Oh sorry, I didnt see this thread for some reason.

On the PSU, the 520W will struggle, with a 760 you will barely have 30W of headroom left and will be in no shape to OC. Though at stock clocks it should do the job fine.

Ideally for 2 460s, You'd want a quality 600-650W model.


I decided on the Corsair TX650W. It is SLI certified and has 5 year warranty. :D 
Thanks!
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2010 2:38:01 PM

Nice PSU. Should power everything with ease.
Sure you don't want Modularity?
September 26, 2010 2:51:13 PM

Timop said:
Nice PSU. Should power everything with ease.
Sure you don't want Modularity?


That would be nice at first. But the modular version costs nearly 50$ more in Romania, and I think I'll eventually end up using all the cables on it. For SLI of 2 GTX460 I will use both PCIe 6+2p cables of the Corsair on only one card and an additional 4 Molex cables (2 molex for each new adapter I need to get to power the second GTX460). Couple that with the 4 case fans (using all the molex cables, i guess) that leaves me with the floppy cable, which I think is not worth the 50$ :D 

Oh, and the SATA cables. 3 will be used, but that leaves me with 5 more unused. Don't know. There are cheaper alternatives to the Corsair but I don't want to throw away the 5 year warranty and the brand. Was thinking of Sirtec 700W Modular, but I don't know how reliable it is...
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2010 2:52:57 PM

Do you have a price on the XFX 650 BE?
Though in your case it should work out to be fine, however I don't recommend connecting fans via molex, use the Mobo headers first.
September 26, 2010 2:58:34 PM

Timop said:
Do you have a price on the XFX 650 BE?
Though in your case it should work out to be fine, however I don't recommend connecting fans via molex, use the Mobo headers first.


Good idea, forgot about the mobo's connectors for the fans. Thanks!

The XFX version is pretty rare in my country and it costs around 140$...much more than the Corsair. :( 
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2010 3:02:56 PM

That RAM is too expensive, the difference between DDR3 RAM (1333/1600) is small. You can go AMD Phenom II X4 955, cheaper.
September 26, 2010 3:09:15 PM

mosox said:
That RAM is too expensive, the difference between DDR3 RAM (1333/1600) is small. You can go AMD Phenom II X4 955, cheaper.


Oddly enough, RAM seems to be cheaper..the cheapest 4GB DDR3 I could see (in Romania, that is..) is only 5$ cheaper. A-Data 1333 w/o radiator.
I also considered building a system around the X4 955, which would be considerably cheaper (about 100$ less), but I cannot seem to find a viable SLI Mobo @x8 for the PCIe lanes. Also, I think the X4 955 would be a little slower in applications compared to the i5 760. In gaming they come pretty close, but for digital content creation, I don't know.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2010 4:52:07 PM

For video editing the Phenom is, say, 10% slower but that's only a few minutes/encoding hour - that's not a big deal IMO. If you go AM3 you can get a HD 5850 and a crossfire mobo but I wouldn't bother with that (your 1156 mobo doesn't have SLI either) I'd get a good non CF mobo.

By the time a HD 5850 or a GTX 460 won't be able to run the games they will be obsolete so don't bother with SLI or Crossfire, you'll better sell the card then and get something new.

If you go single card solution you can get a cheaper PSU like the Corsair CMPSU-450VX, Silver Power SP-SS500 etc.

You can wait for a few weeks, ATI is releasing the 6 series soon, that will drive the current video card prices down.
September 26, 2010 5:13:59 PM

mosox said:
For video editing the Phenom is, say, 10% slower but that's only a few minutes/encoding hour - that's not a big deal IMO. If you go AM3 you can get a HD 5850 and a crossfire mobo but I wouldn't bother with that (your 1156 mobo doesn't have SLI either) I'd get a good non CF mobo.

By the time a HD 5850 or a GTX 460 won't be able to run the games they will be obsolete so don't bother with SLI or Crossfire, you'll better sell the card then and get something new.

If you go single card solution you can get a cheaper PSU like the Corsair CMPSU-450VX, Silver Power SP-SS500 etc.

You can wait for a few weeks, ATI is releasing the 6 series soon, that will drive the current video card prices down.


You got me thinking...
Anyways, I will wait untill late October to buy my new PC, so until then, the new 6k series might appear and that might change the entire configuration.
Will be thinking about the CF/SLI or single card solution. I know that the GTX460 or the HD 5850 will be obsolete one day, but my current video card, a 7600 GT (nearly 5 years old) did well until now, so I thought that 2 nVidia GTX460 cards would provide almost 2x the fps in most games, without a worry for an upgrade for a while.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2010 5:23:52 PM

If you get a single 460/5850 you won't have to worry for a long time, for 1680x1050 a HD 5770 or a GTS 450 should be fine, 460 1GB or 5850 is overkill already - they are very good even for a full HD monitor.

The difference between those cards and your old 7600 GT is gigantic.
September 26, 2010 6:12:25 PM

mosox said:
If you get a single 460/5850 you won't have to worry for a long time, for 1680x1050 a HD 5770 or a GTS 450 should be fine, 460 1GB or 5850 is overkill already - they are very good even for a full HD monitor.

The difference between those cards and your old 7600 GT is gigantic.



OK. :D 

Another thing, if I change to AMD (for the CPU), should I go for the x4 or x6 versions? Keeping in mind that it will be used not only for gaming...
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2010 7:52:12 PM

I would get the X4. Again, a few minutes/hour in encoding gained over the I5 760 (the X6 is better) doesn't mean much.

Intel is changing the sockets next year, so is AMD but at least the AM3 CPUs will work in the new AM3+ sockets.
September 26, 2010 8:36:05 PM

mosox said:
I would get the X4. Again, a few minutes/hour in encoding gained over the I5 760 (the X6 is better) doesn't mean much.

Intel is changing the sockets next year, so is AMD but at least the AM3 CPUs will work in the new AM3+ sockets.


OK. I'm going with a X4 955 (won't OC much, maybe 10-20%) and a GTX460 768MB. No SLI or CF. The question is, will a Corsair CMPSU-450VX be enough?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or should i get a safer Corsair CMPSU-520HX?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
!