Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Kvm switch for wireless keyboard and mouse

Last response: in Components
December 20, 2010 7:17:48 PM

I have a Logitech MK710 wireless desktop that I want to use to interact with two computers through a KVM switch. Previously, I was using a Linksys KVM2 with an 8-year old wireless desktop, but the receiver malffunctioned. Any suggestions
December 20, 2010 10:54:19 PM

if the keyboard/mouse use conventional connectors past the wireless receiver to connect to the cpu, you should be ok with nearly any KVM/A-B switch...or if the KVM switch is designed for USB keyboard/mouse and receives USB from the wireless receiver you should also be ok, if you use a KVM witch designed for USB....

You are not, however, going to get thru any switches still in true wireless/IR format...
Score
December 20, 2010 10:58:12 PM

Upon further research, I see that Logitech uses a single USB port receiver to control both devices?

I think you are out of luck....while the PC can share multiple devices thru software in a single USB port thru your receiver, the KVM switch cannot...
Score
December 21, 2010 12:24:33 AM

mdd1963 said:
Upon further research, I see that Logitech uses a single USB port receiver to control both devices?

I think you are out of luck....while the PC can share multiple devices thru software in a single USB port thru your receiver, the KVM switch cannot...

Thank you for your two replies.

The 8-yr-old Logitech wireless desktop had a receiver the size of one's palm. It had two male DIN connectors for keyboard and mouse which I plugged into the two female Din connectors of a Linksys KVM2 switch. This allowed me to switch the wireless keyboard/mouse between two computers. The Logitech wireless desktop MK170 replacement has a tiny receiver: its width covers the width of the computer USB connector into which it is plugged and it protrudes out only 1/4". Now I can swap computers by simply removing the receiver from computer A and plugging it into a USB slot of computer B. Not a very elegant solution. Obviously, one could make an AB switch to do this swapping function, but I don't want to spend the time doing the construction. A salesman sold me a D-Link KVM-221 switch but I couldn't get to work. So I phoned D-Link service and the tech concluded that a wireless keyboard/mouse wouldn't work with their switch. I phoned the salesman and he has agreed to take the KVM switch back and refund my money.

I hoped that someone had experienced the same problem and had a solution. Basically, your conclusion agrees with the tech. I might have to go back to using a hardwire keyboard and mouse with my old KVM switch.

Thanks again.

Score
!