GTX 460 in System will POST, but Hangs

risc19

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Bought a GTX 460 1GB to replace my gtx 260. The card is running on a Core 2 quad 9550 on an abit aw9d-max mobo, 550w psu.

The system will POST and I get the standard start-up screen. However, AFTER it shows memory, CPU speed/type, and a list of IDE drives, the system hangs ... no list of IRQs/devices and no booting.

I have updated my mobos bios and tried it in both pcie slots.

I put back my gtx 260 and that works just fine.

Any ideas?

FerrousRodent

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

It may just be a bad card; POSTING no IRQs sounds like it isn't seated correctly or it is defective. One thing you MAY want to consider is your power supply - I don't know how much RAM and how many HDDs and what other goodies you have - 550W on your current system is fine; but it is if the PSU is low end it may be pushing it and a new VGA card may stress the system.

My money is on a defective card as just booting windoze should not trigger a full load.

FR

NLNJA

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I do not think the card is bad, but that there is an issue with the PCIe bus. I have the same exact issue unfortuantely, and can feel for risc19. I have a aw9d-max as well and was looking to upgrade the graphics from an 8800GTS, to the GTX460. Thought it was a bad card and replaced it. Went down to no peripherals and still no success. Using a Corsair 650w ps, so doesn't appear to be power. Would really like to use this card as I'm sure risc19 is as well. Any ideas would be great, hate to return it.

risc19

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Thanks for all your input. I glad its not just me. Maybe we can tweak the PCIe bus in the bios?

Its just not fair, I want it to work so badly. :(

risc19

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Striped it right down to nothing, same problem. The thing that stops me from RMAing it is that I have found a couple of other threads on the internet about the same problem with the same motherboard trying to use the gtx 460.

I only have a few choices...

1. Rma and pray it works.

2. Buy another 775 mobo and pray that works.

3. Build a nice new i5 system to use with my gtx 460

NLNJA

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010

I played around with multiple BIOS settings to disable any conflicting IRQ settings with minimum hardware installed. Still wouldn't go. Oh well.

I think options 2 and 3 would be the next steps for me as well. In the end I'm "lending" *wince* my 460 out and using an ATI 5750 with no issue at this point. SC2 on ultra, and few older titles are working just fine. Maybe another option for you. I am looking forward to my new build, but still bothers me that it didn't work. Maybe if there was a bios update, but I wouldn't bet on one. :(

risc19

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I managed to find a bios update for the mobo that abit never got around to releasing.

That didnt work either. :(

I'm going to buy another 775 mobo of ebay and hope it works.

I just don't have the cash to build an i5 system right now.

I'll let you know what happens.

MAT-71

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010

risc19

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
OK so Swapped mobo for asus p5q and it now works like a charm.

Stupid abit.

Gtx 460s only flaw is that it doesnt vest out the case.

All is well that ends well.

Rocxylemmon

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
You have to use abit flash tool and go back to bios v 1.5 and even the newer video cards will work woth this board.... Mine did.... Its ausome.... Abit had to drop the voltages to support the better cpus so thats the drawback on this model but its all better with 1.5