AHCI on SSD (is it good?)

hedgehogpie

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Hi,

Doing this thing (AHCI) is safe on SSD? Sorry I'm so much new about this. Do I do this in windows 7 OS? because it's native trim support? or it also can be done in windows 8? I do have have found this steps in command prompt to determine if the TRIM support is enabled by typing this in command prompt: fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify, does the command is also the same in windows 8?

Some suggestion on this? Do I enable the AHCI mode during the OS installation or after the OS installation? which is better? is their a proper steps on how to do this? might afraid that I could brick my compoments. I'll be using a crucial m4 128gb SSD on a gigabyye z77 UD3H motherboard.

What are the Pro's and Con's using AHCI mode ? like SSD will perform better but will increase heat and decrease lifespan, etc.

Hope you could link me proper way to do AHCI mode if it's good, like the one you follow guys. Thanks in advance

Solution
Go ahead and get a jump on it, by downloading the manual:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4153#manual

Page 24 shows the Sata ports (top 2 are Sata 0/1 (6)
Pge 33 starts discribing your BIOS
Page 51/52 describes setting The IDE/SATA/Ahci mode.
.. NOTE page 52 is missnumbered - LOL

Comment:
Before installing Operating System, I always download memtest 86 and verify that memmory is AOK.
SEE: http://www.memtest.org/
The 2nd thing I do is to check the BIOS revision, you may need to update the BIOS.
.. Latest version is F18 dtd Oct 24 2012 - Most likely you will have this already. There is a F19e which is later but is a BETA version. I do Not use beta versions UNLESS I have a problem that may be solved with the...

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

http://www.overclock.net/t/1133897/windows-7-ssd-tweaking-guide

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
To answer your question, yes! Enable AHCI mode on your motherboard if you're running a solid state drive. Actually, it wouldn't hurt to enable it even if you don't have an SSD.

AHCI mode enables features on hard drives that maximize their performance. If you want to get the advertised 500+MB read speeds, it's essential to have it.

AHCI doesn't do anything dangerous to your hard drive. It won't overclock it or anything. As far as I know, it has no effect on hard drive life span.

I've heard that it's best to enable AHCI BEFORE you install your operating system. I know for one of my older builds that ran on a P45 chipset, my Windows installation DIDN'T like it when I turned AHCI mode on after the fact. It wouldn't even boot into Windows. That was a few years ago though.

I hope I was able to answer your question. Good luck.

AHCI is what you WANT to have for SSD's. This allows the TRIM command to be passed to the drive.

You want to have it enabled BEFORE installing windows if you can.

You can swap it after windows is installed with a registry edit(before making the switch in the bios).

TRIM is for flash optimization. It tells the drive when data is no longer needed so it can make a pool of clean flash(improved performance).

Heat will not change in any mode.

Hope this helps.

hedgehogpie

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
ok so enable AHCI mode during OS installation. Installing Win7 and booting from my drive, during this process of OS installation and I think gigabyte z77 UD3h supports AHCI, during installation does it let me choose on what mode to run or I does it have a selection on AHCI, RAiD and IDE?

Your Bios has selection for IDE, AHCI, and SATA. Raid (Raid0 and Raid1 ect) are normally configuable from SATA. For an INTEL chipset (Your Z77) TRIM can be enabled fro either AHCI or Raid. HOWEVER it is advisable, unless using Raid to set the BIOS to AHCI.

SSDs currently employ 1) Wear leveling (spreads writes evenly among NAND Cells which prolongs Life) 2) Garbage collection (CG) Simular to Trim, but internal to SSD. Maintains Performance, and 3)Trim - Allows more effective GC and works as iNUKE explained.

For SSDs and all newer HDDs, The Bios should be set to AHCI, (unless raid is used). This should be set BEFORE windows Installation.

Did Not look up your Z77 MB. Some Z77s have TWO controllers for SSD/HDD (a Intel controller and a 3rd party controller) - MAKE shre the SSD is installed on the INTEL Sata III (6) Port, preferably the First Intel Port.

ADDED: Just checked, Your Z77 does NOT have a 3rd party HDD controller - Only has 2 Intel controlled SATA III (6) ports. SO NO Problem, just use the first Sata 6 Port.
You can place the HDD on either the 2nd SATA 6 Port or on a SATA 3 port. Depends on if planning on a 2nd SSD, if Yes then set the HDD to the first SATA 3 port.
NOTE: Even thought the HDD may say SATA 6 the Avgerage Through-put is the same for SATA3 or sata 6. The ONLY advantage of putting a sata 6 HDD on a SATA 6 port is the very short Burst speed. ONLY SSDs can take full advantage of a SATA 6 port.

hedgehogpie

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

Hello,

my MB z77 gigabyte UD3H is still coming a wee from now,,, so I'm preparing to learn and collecting info from you guys that is more experienced from me :)

So, how do I set AHCI BEFORE windows Installation? during the installation process does it let me choose? my HDD is 2tb WD green, is this ok to run in AHCI mode? or just IDE? I'm installing my games and OS on my crucial m4 128gb SSD.

When you first switch on the system you either get a motherboard makers logo or a black screen with some info loading, you hit the DEL key to enter the bios.

From the bios you can control many aspects of the system(including the SATA mode[IDE/AHCI/RAID], boot order, enabling and disabling onboard devices, setting cpu/memory parameters[OVERCLOCKING!!!], ect).

The board will have a manual that tells you what everything does, most current boards come set to AHCI mode by default(but check to be sure).

Running the WDC Green in AHCI will cause no issues.

Go ahead and get a jump on it, by downloading the manual:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4153#manual

Page 24 shows the Sata ports (top 2 are Sata 0/1 (6)
Pge 33 starts discribing your BIOS
Page 51/52 describes setting The IDE/SATA/Ahci mode.
.. NOTE page 52 is missnumbered - LOL

Comment:
Before installing Operating System, I always download memtest 86 and verify that memmory is AOK.
SEE: http://www.memtest.org/
The 2nd thing I do is to check the BIOS revision, you may need to update the BIOS.
.. Latest version is F18 dtd Oct 24 2012 - Most likely you will have this already. There is a F19e which is later but is a BETA version. I do Not use beta versions UNLESS I have a problem that may be solved with the Beta version. (Looks like the Beta version fixes a Window 8 problem with secure Boot).

Solution