All of a sudden my SSD is full?

Acrylik

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
So I got a 64 gig ssd and installed windows on it, as well as antivirus, games (only two, relatively small games on atm) and drivers, as well as stuff I want on startup. Less than 4 hours ago my ssd had 23 gigs left on it, as it has had for awhile as I don't install anything new on it. But now, all of a sudden, I only have 1.6gb on it, and my windows folder has grown drastically (At the moment, it is 15 gigs)

I think the windows folder is the main cause, and I have no idea how to fix it. But even if I do get it down to around 4 gigs or less, that still leaves me missing a lot of space I recently had.

The only things I have done is install some new ram, and redownload CPU-ID.

If you have any solutions to any of this, please reply, thank you.

Edit: All of the folders I have on the ssd and their sizes

Fraps : 68.4 MB
Intel : 812 KB
NVIDIA : 219 MB
Program Files : 844 MB
Program Files : 8.45 GB
Riot Games : 5.57 GB
Users : 831 MB
Windows : 15.5 GB

Solution
There's nothing wrong with your folder sizes. That's typical for windows.and doesn't come close to 64GB If you just increased your RAM windows will have increased your page and hibernation files as well. You should have disabled those when you installed windows if you aren't using them or have 8GB of RAM.

Http://techgage.com/article/disabling_windows_pagefile_hibernation_to_reclaim_ssd_space/

schizz69

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
A few things to try:

Reduce the page file to 1GB (assuming you have plenty of RAM)
Disable hibernation completely
Disable, or reduce system restore to 1%
Change your default Downloads, Pictures, Music and Videos folders to a separate drive, if you have one.

You can easily find out how to do any of the above with a simple google search.

IMO 64 GB is just too small for a modern system, especially if you wish to install games or use it for photo or video editing.

Let us know how you get on.

Acrylik

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

I use 16 gigs of ram, and all of my stuff other than league of legends and a single steam game are installed on 2 2tb hdd's.

at the moment I do have to go, but I am mostly concerned with how my folder got so big..I mean, I don't think it was like that before at all...but I'm also very concerned where all of that leftover space could possibly be....

People keep posting responses, I will be able to read them all soon.

There's nothing wrong with your folder sizes. That's typical for windows.and doesn't come close to 64GB If you just increased your RAM windows will have increased your page and hibernation files as well. You should have disabled those when you installed windows if you aren't using them or have 8GB of RAM.

Http://techgage.com/article/disabling_windows_pagefile_hibernation_to_reclaim_ssd_space/

Solution

Your folder was that big. All windows installs are. No one need 16GB of ram, it won't be used. But when you stuck it in without setting windows up right it automatically set your Pagefile and hybrid file to 16GB EACH. Poof 32GB gone

Acrylik

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

So would disabling hibernation and changing the initial/max size of the pagefile fix this problem?

If you enabled hibernation, you will need to disable it. Hibernation will reserve space equal to your physical memory size.

Similarly, you should play with your page file a bit. You can move it to a platter drive if you have one, but you should keep it at least 1GB in size.

Formatting the drive takes 5.5GB, Windows (32bit?) uses up 15.5GB and then the pagefile is set up that takes as much capacity as your physical RAM (16GB). So you have effectively lost half the drive just setting up Windows. Throw on games and drivers and I'm not surprised its full.

Moving the Pagefile off the SSD entirely would be the best move, I assume you have a HDD as well?
Disabling hibernation wont get you more storage space, but its recommended on SSD's anyway so go ahead.

Also if I'm right that you have 32bit Windows, you can only use 3.5GB of that RAM.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

I run my PC with 12GB of RAM, and the first thing I did was disable both of these. I have a 60GB SSD myself, and this brought me over 20GB of extra free space on it.

I have never had my computer crash with a disabled Pagefile, nor have I run low on Memory. I also run a 4GB RAMDISK 24/7.

Hibernation is useless compared to sleep mode.
Pagefile is irrelevant unless you have 4GB or less RAM.

Acrylik

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

I do use windows 64bit, and thanks for the tips.

Acrylik

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Thanks for all of the help all of you! I am now back up to 31 gigs...a lot more than I had before I even changed my ram....Thanks a lot, especially because you were all so kind to incompetent people like me ;D