Sign in with
Your question

Fans

Last response: in Components
December 20, 2010 9:13:18 PM

Hello,

I am trying to figure out why my fans start to spin faster/louder when the computer isn't in use? after i let the monitor go to sleep, it starts doing above mentioned 10-15 minutes later and only slows down when i return to pc by moving mouse. any ideas? thanks

More about : fans

a b C Monitor
December 21, 2010 1:29:29 PM

Something is running in the background causing either the CPU or the GPU to heat up. I suggest you download and install Malwarebtyes (malwarebytes.org). Update it after installation and scan your system. Anything it finds remove. This is where I would start in the troubleshooting process.

BTW, are you running any backup processes in the background? Also, what anti-virus software are you using?
m
l
a b C Monitor
December 21, 2010 3:22:22 PM

Are you controlling your fans using software? When it goes to sleep it might stop controlling the fans returning them to full speed until you return and the software takes over again.
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2010 8:26:23 PM

at this point, the only things that i leave open would be firefox for me and chrome for my brother. I am not using software to control the fans. No back up processes are running and i currently do not have anti-virus installed.

i will download malwarebytes and run it now. thanks
m
l
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2010 10:58:53 AM

bartolommeff said:
at this point, the only things that i leave open would be firefox for me and chrome for my brother. I am not using software to control the fans. No back up processes are running and i currently do not have anti-virus installed.

i will download malwarebytes and run it now. thanks

You should also download and install Microsoft Security Essentials. It is a free and effective anti-virus program. Running without anti-virus software is VERY dangerous to your system and the info on it.

Good luck!
m
l
!