Epson 2200 printing dark

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 5, 2005 11:28:32 AM

As it says I've got an Epson 2200. I have been printing on the glossy photo
paper and things look fine. BUT, I decided I want to do some prints on the
matte paper and I'm getting dark prints......

NO color shift, just dark. And before I go nuts trying to change a bunch of
stuff so things work I want to find out if I'm causing my own problem...

1. My Enhanced Matte paper hasn't arrived yet so I'm using the older standard
matte paper from the 1200.

2. I've got the new profiles from Epson.

3. When I print there's no selection for the old matte so I'm using the
Enhanced matte setting - is THIS likely to cause the problem?

4. Since my black ink is mostly full I'm using the profile for the PK ink
instead of the matte ink - is THIS likely to be causing the problem?

I checked the monitor calibration and it hasn't changed so I don't think its a
calibration problem... And as I said, things look FINE when printed on the
glossy paper.

So, is there a problem with the matte profile or is one of the things above
causing the problem - in which case it'll go away once the enhanced matte paper
arrives and I switch to the other black ink...
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:01:04 PM

I found that with some types of paper, the prints come out with different
luminosity. You should tweak the settings for the brightness and contrast to
calibrate for the difference. Using a known grey scale test is a good way to
do it, or just simply do it by eye.

You will use a number of sheets to get it right, but once you have the
settings, you will know what to do for using that type of paper.

I remember when I was working with film and print development. I used to do
some trials when doing the prints. This was a bit complicated at times.
There was the combination of negative to print exposure, and then the print
development timing. Each had its own effect on the end result. After having
a lot of experience, most of the time I was able to tell which type of
adjustment was best for what I wanted.

--

Jerry G.
======

<dperez@juno_nospam.com> wrote in message
news:p bunt0pqba4757him0apojs2c3ls2gvt5s@4ax.com...
[...]

January 5, 2005 2:49:07 PM

Well, its even WORSE than I thought.............

Its NOT just the matte paper.... EVERYTHING is printing dark.

The only thing I can think of that I've changed is installing the printer on a
new motherboard (old system died, new system in... )

I initially installed it with the same printer driver, printer monitor, and icc
profiles I was previously using.

When I found that the glossy photo paper was ALSO printing dark I went out to
Epson and got the newer printer driver. I ALSO uninstalled and reinstalled the
icc profiles JUST IN CASE........

No joy... EVERYTHING I print whether on matte paper OR gloss paper is coming
out dark.........

Unfortunately, as usual, I'm on deadline and need to get several prints done...
And as it sits right now, they're too dark to be usable...

I've sent an email off to Epson support but I really need to know what's going
on here...
January 5, 2005 6:06:22 PM

>From: dperez@juno_nospam.com

>4. Since my black ink is mostly full I'm using the profile for the PK ink
>instead of the matte ink - is THIS likely to be causing the problem?

Yes, this is likely the problem.

You can swap the photo black and matte black in and out with little problem,
the heads get purged but it only costs about $1 in ink.

>3. When I print there's no selection for the old matte so I'm using the
>Enhanced matte setting - is THIS likely to cause the problem?

Probably not, the papers were similar.

Bill
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:48:34 PM

dperez@juno_nospam.com wrote:

> Well, its even WORSE than I thought.............
>
> Its NOT just the matte paper.... EVERYTHING is printing dark.
>
> The only thing I can think of that I've changed is installing the printer on a
> new motherboard (old system died, new system in... )
>
> I initially installed it with the same printer driver, printer monitor, and icc
> profiles I was previously using.
>
> When I found that the glossy photo paper was ALSO printing dark I went out to
> Epson and got the newer printer driver. I ALSO uninstalled and reinstalled the
> icc profiles JUST IN CASE........
>
> No joy... EVERYTHING I print whether on matte paper OR gloss paper is coming
> out dark.........
>
> Unfortunately, as usual, I'm on deadline and need to get several prints done...
> And as it sits right now, they're too dark to be usable...
>
> I've sent an email off to Epson support but I really need to know what's going
> on here...

New mobo, new or different video card? Recalibrated your monitor? gamma
2.2? Sounds very like monitor problems to me.

Colin
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:48:35 PM

Colin D wibbled in this way:

> dperez@juno_nospam.com wrote:
>>
>> Well, its even WORSE than I thought.............
>>
>> Its NOT just the matte paper.... EVERYTHING is printing dark.
>>
>> The only thing I can think of that I've changed is installing the
>> printer on a new motherboard (old system died, new system in... )
>>
>> I initially installed it with the same printer driver, printer
>> monitor, and icc profiles I was previously using.
>>
>> When I found that the glossy photo paper was ALSO printing dark I
>> went out to Epson and got the newer printer driver. I ALSO
>> uninstalled and reinstalled the icc profiles JUST IN CASE........
>>
>> No joy... EVERYTHING I print whether on matte paper OR gloss paper
>> is coming out dark.........
>>
>> Unfortunately, as usual, I'm on deadline and need to get several
>> prints done... And as it sits right now, they're too dark to be
>> usable...
>>
>> I've sent an email off to Epson support but I really need to know
>> what's going on here...
>
> New mobo, new or different video card? Recalibrated your monitor?
> gamma 2.2? Sounds very like monitor problems to me.
>
> Colin

I believe this is a known issue with Epson printers and WinXP service
pack 2 - so if you have that then that is probably the likely cause.

There are new drivers on Epsons site for SP2 but I don't know if they fix
it as I;ve not tried it. If you use Epson Photo Quicker to print from
then you shouldn't be affected either way.

Epson are releasing a new software package shortly to replace photo
quicker which will also add support for their 7x5 PG photo paper. .

HTH
Dave
!