500GB seagate external hardisk issue

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Seagate
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 4, 2013 4:48:30 AM

Hello,
i purchased 500Gb seagate extrnal hard disk(freeagent).. in march 2012. Now suddenly it stopped working. in any laptop. when i plugged in it is detected as Local disk(J); in mycomputer and in task bar it is coming as FreeAgentGoFlex. When i tried to open it showind empty..and also message coming as "need to format the disk.."

So..Plz help me ..as I heve 400gb data in it

More about : 500gb seagate external hardisk issue

a c 79 G Storage
January 4, 2013 9:01:56 PM

Test it with "SeaTools for Windows": http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

If it fails it cannot be used any longer. The only way to get data off a failed drive is by taking it or sending it to a data recovery company but that is very expensive.

You should never save valuable data on just one hard drive alone, didn't you know all hard drives fail sooner or later?
External hard drives have a higher failure rate than internal ones.
m
l
January 17, 2013 3:30:58 AM

It seems that your drive is corrupted.
If you still want to get back your data inside this hard drive, I would recommend you to try a free drive recovery tool, which has helped many people retrieve their photos, videos, music and files from a "not formatted" drive, including me. It is worth trying!
You also should attention to some tips :
1. Stop writing anything new on this drive immediately to avoid the original data overwritten by new data, which can make your data gone permanently.
2. Save your recovered data on a different drive or memory card in case of recovery failure.
3. Not forget to format this drive to see whether it could work normally as before. Otherwise, you have to buy a new one to replace it.
4. Back up your data regularly in the future.
m
l
Related resources
!