Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I'm confused on wireless technologies

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 18, 2005 8:52:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

What wireless technology does Trio 650 use to allow internet
access almost anywhere?

What wireless technology do notebooks use to gain internet
access at many hot-spots?

Is Bluetooth the same as 802.11a or b or g?
April 18, 2005 9:27:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:52:55 GMT, ruthless <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:

>What wireless technology does Trio 650 use to allow internet
>access almost anywhere?

If you got it from cingular it uses GSM.

>What wireless technology do notebooks use to gain internet
>access at many hot-spots?

WiFi with either the 802.11B or 802.11G standard. It's wireless but
not related to mobile phones.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 19, 2005 3:45:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <u5p761l4bh87k9n5joq8q2lvlp6jthfvan@4ax.com>,
ruthless <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:

> What wireless technology does Trio 650 use to allow internet
> access almost anywhere?

IP VIA GSM OR CDMA

>
> What wireless technology do notebooks use to gain internet
> access at many hot-spots?


802.11

>
> Is Bluetooth the same as 802.11a or b or g?


NO. its much slower over shorter distances
Related resources
April 19, 2005 4:55:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Then is it possible to make PC/notebooks to browse the net
using GSM or CDMA? Do wireless service providers like
Verizon and Cingular has something like that? How would
that work?


On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:45:53 GMT, Jack Zwick
<jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <u5p761l4bh87k9n5joq8q2lvlp6jthfvan@4ax.com>,
> ruthless <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:
>
>> What wireless technology does Trio 650 use to allow internet
>> access almost anywhere?
>
>IP VIA GSM OR CDMA
>
>>
>> What wireless technology do notebooks use to gain internet
>> access at many hot-spots?
>
>
>802.11
>
>>
>> Is Bluetooth the same as 802.11a or b or g?
>
>
>NO. its much slower over shorter distances
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 19, 2005 7:15:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <vjl861li41sogpjek5kh6oq3qpki7slr06@4ax.com>,
ruthless <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:

> Then is it possible to make PC/notebooks to browse the net
> using GSM or CDMA? Do wireless service providers like
> Verizon and Cingular has something like that? How would
> that work?

Yes they sell PC Cards for that. Cingular is currently selling the
Sony-Ericsson GC83. In some cases you'd have greater network availabilty
than WiFi.
April 19, 2005 9:29:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:55:13 GMT, ruthless <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:

>Then is it possible to make PC/notebooks to browse the net
>using GSM or CDMA? Do wireless service providers like
>Verizon and Cingular has something like that? How would
>that work?

You just subscribe to their data service on either one and have a
compatible phone with interface to your computer (commonly with cable
or Bluetooth connection.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
April 19, 2005 9:50:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:45:53 GMT, Jack Zwick
<jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <u5p761l4bh87k9n5joq8q2lvlp6jthfvan@4ax.com>,
> ruthless <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:
>
>> What wireless technology does Trio 650 use to allow internet
>> access almost anywhere?
>
>IP VIA GSM OR CDMA

How fast is the connection? Is it about the speed of 56K
analog modem?

What's some of the plans that allow smartphone and PDA to
access the internet? The best deal that I've found is
Cingular PDA unlimited for $44.99 at
http://onlinestore2.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 19, 2005 11:39:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> Then is it possible to make PC/notebooks to browse the net
> using GSM or CDMA? Do wireless service providers like
> Verizon and Cingular has something like that? How would
> that work?

You can either add a cell modem PCMCIA card to the laptop or use a phone as
a modem. Either by connecting from the laptop to the phone via a USB cable
or a Bluetooth wireless connection. The phone acts as a "modem" and makes
the net connection. Bear in mind that PC networking requires a HELL OF A
LOT of packets so don't even *experiment* with it unless you're on an
unlimited data plan.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 20, 2005 4:06:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>>In article <u5p761l4bh87k9n5joq8q2lvlp6jthfvan@4ax.com>,
>> ruthless <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:
>>> What wireless technology does Trio 650 use to allow internet
>>> access almost anywhere?

>On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:45:53 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>IP VIA GSM OR CDMA

Well, sorta-kinda:

Actually, GPRS is the system used by the older GSM carriers, EDGE the newer, and
the major US CDMA carriers are using 1xRTT inside CDMA.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:50:26 GMT, ruthless <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:
>How fast is the connection? Is it about the speed of 56K
>analog modem?

EDGE and 1xRTT are somewaht faster, but not radically. GPRS is slower.

>What's some of the plans that allow smartphone and PDA to
>access the internet? The best deal that I've found is
>Cingular PDA unlimited for $44.99 at
>http://onlinestore2.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...

T-Mobile has a $31/mo unmetered GPRS service. But, it's slower than the other US
majors (except for NEXTEL, which offeres a thundering 9.6kbps).


--
John Bartley K7AAY 503.326.2231...147
telecom syadmin, USBC-Oregon, Portland - Views are mine.
http://palmwireless.cjb.net Wireless FAQ for PalmOS(r)
Dilbert is a documentary.
April 20, 2005 7:16:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:06:03 GMT, johnbartley@email.com (John Bartley
K7AAY telcom admin, Portland OR) wrote:

>T-Mobile has a $31/mo unmetered GPRS service. But, it's slower than the other US
>majors (except for NEXTEL, which offeres a thundering 9.6kbps).

T-Mobile GPRS T-Zones is $19.99 per month unlimited.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 20, 2005 4:20:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <nOudnZHZNqw3CvjfRVn-3w@speakeasy.net>,
"wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Then is it possible to make PC/notebooks to browse the net
> > using GSM or CDMA? Do wireless service providers like
> > Verizon and Cingular has something like that? How would
> > that work?
>
> You can either add a cell modem PCMCIA card to the laptop or use a phone as
> a modem. Either by connecting from the laptop to the phone via a USB cable
> or a Bluetooth wireless connection. The phone acts as a "modem" and makes
> the net connection. Bear in mind that PC networking requires a HELL OF A
> LOT of packets so don't even *experiment* with it unless you're on an
> unlimited data plan.

Not out of the box with Bluetooth on the Treo 650. It does not work as a
modem, unless you hack it.

http://shadowmite.com/
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 22, 2005 3:30:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 03:16:37 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:06:03 GMT, johnbartley@email.com (John Bartley
>K7AAY telcom admin, Portland OR) wrote:
>
>>T-Mobile has a $31/mo unmetered GPRS service. But, it's slower than the other US
>>majors (except for NEXTEL, which offeres a thundering 9.6kbps).
>
>T-Mobile GPRS T-Zones is $19.99 per month unlimited.

That requires you to have a voice plan to add T-Zones to. I just use it for
data, so my *total* monthly bill is $31. Your $19.99/mo must be added to a voice
plan.
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>



--
John Bartley K7AAY 503.326.2231...147
telecom syadmin, USBC-Oregon, Portland - Views are mine.
http://palmwireless.cjb.net Wireless FAQ for PalmOS(r)
Dilbert is a documentary.
!