I'm confused on wireless technologies

What wireless technology does Trio 650 use to allow internet
access almost anywhere?

What wireless technology do notebooks use to gain internet
access at many hot-spots?

Is Bluetooth the same as 802.11a or b or g?
11 answers Last reply
More about confused wireless technologies

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:52:55 GMT, ruthless <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:

    >What wireless technology does Trio 650 use to allow internet
    >access almost anywhere?

    If you got it from cingular it uses GSM.

    >What wireless technology do notebooks use to gain internet
    >access at many hot-spots?

    WiFi with either the 802.11B or 802.11G standard. It's wireless but
    not related to mobile phones.

    In article <u5p761l4bh87k9n5joq8q2lvlp6jthfvan@4ax.com>,
    ruthless <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:

    > What wireless technology does Trio 650 use to allow internet
    > access almost anywhere?

    IP VIA GSM OR CDMA

    > What wireless technology do notebooks use to gain internet
    > access at many hot-spots?

    802.11

    > Is Bluetooth the same as 802.11a or b or g?

    NO. its much slower over shorter distances

    Then is it possible to make PC/notebooks to browse the net
    using GSM or CDMA? Do wireless service providers like
    Verizon and Cingular has something like that? How would
    that work?

    In article <vjl861li41sogpjek5kh6oq3qpki7slr06@4ax.com>,
    ruthless <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:

    > Then is it possible to make PC/notebooks to browse the net
    > using GSM or CDMA? Do wireless service providers like
    > Verizon and Cingular has something like that? How would
    > that work?

    Yes they sell PC Cards for that. Cingular is currently selling the
    Sony-Ericsson GC83. In some cases you'd have greater network availabilty
    than WiFi.

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:55:13 GMT, ruthless <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:

    >Then is it possible to make PC/notebooks to browse the net
    >using GSM or CDMA? Do wireless service providers like
    >Verizon and Cingular has something like that? How would
    >that work?

    You just subscribe to their data service on either one and have a
    compatible phone with interface to your computer (commonly with cable
    or Bluetooth connection.)

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:45:53 GMT, Jack Zwick
    <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >In article <u5p761l4bh87k9n5joq8q2lvlp6jthfvan@4ax.com>,
    > ruthless <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:
    >
    >> What wireless technology does Trio 650 use to allow internet
    >> access almost anywhere?
    >
    >IP VIA GSM OR CDMA

    How fast is the connection? Is it about the speed of 56K
    analog modem?

    What's some of the plans that allow smartphone and PDA to
    access the internet? The best deal that I've found is
    Cingular PDA unlimited for $44.99 at
    http://onlinestore2.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ES_PROD_RATE.jsp?curTabName=Data%20Plans&curCategoryName=PRP_PDACONNECT%20PLAN&storeId=14701&catalogId=14701&langId=-1&storeAlias=nycbmi&svcAreaId=QN8&isFamilyTalkFlow=false&subOrderId=1

    > Then is it possible to make PC/notebooks to browse the net
    > using GSM or CDMA? Do wireless service providers like
    > Verizon and Cingular has something like that? How would
    > that work?

    You can either add a cell modem PCMCIA card to the laptop or use a phone as
    a modem. Either by connecting from the laptop to the phone via a USB cable
    or a Bluetooth wireless connection. The phone acts as a "modem" and makes
    the net connection. Bear in mind that PC networking requires a HELL OF A
    LOT of packets so don't even *experiment* with it unless you're on an
    unlimited data plan.

    >>In article <u5p761l4bh87k9n5joq8q2lvlp6jthfvan@4ax.com>,
    >> ruthless <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:
    >>> What wireless technology does Trio 650 use to allow internet
    >>> access almost anywhere?

    >On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:45:53 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
    >>IP VIA GSM OR CDMA

    Well, sorta-kinda:

    Actually, GPRS is the system used by the older GSM carriers, EDGE the newer, and
    the major US CDMA carriers are using 1xRTT inside CDMA.

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:50:26 GMT, ruthless <ruthless@xoss.com> wrote:
    >How fast is the connection? Is it about the speed of 56K
    >analog modem?

    EDGE and 1xRTT are somewaht faster, but not radically. GPRS is slower.

    >What's some of the plans that allow smartphone and PDA to
    >access the internet? The best deal that I've found is
    >Cingular PDA unlimited for $44.99 at
    >http://onlinestore2.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ES_PROD_RATE.jsp?curTabName=Data%20Plans&curCategoryName=PRP_PDACONNECT%20PLAN&storeId=14701&catalogId=14701&langId=-1&storeAlias=nycbmi&svcAreaId=QN8&isFamilyTalkFlow=false&subOrderId=1

    T-Mobile has a $31/mo unmetered GPRS service. But, it's slower than the other US
    majors (except for NEXTEL, which offeres a thundering 9.6kbps).

    --
    John Bartley K7AAY 503.326.2231...147
    telecom syadmin, USBC-Oregon, Portland - Views are mine.

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:06:03 GMT, johnbartley@email.com (John Bartley
    K7AAY telcom admin, Portland OR) wrote:

    >T-Mobile has a $31/mo unmetered GPRS service. But, it's slower than the other US
    >majors (except for NEXTEL, which offeres a thundering 9.6kbps).

    T-Mobile GPRS T-Zones is $19.99 per month unlimited.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <nOudnZHZNqw3CvjfRVn-3w@speakeasy.net>,
    "wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > > Then is it possible to make PC/notebooks to browse the net
    > > using GSM or CDMA? Do wireless service providers like
    > > Verizon and Cingular has something like that? How would
    > > that work?
    >
    > You can either add a cell modem PCMCIA card to the laptop or use a phone as
    > a modem. Either by connecting from the laptop to the phone via a USB cable
    > or a Bluetooth wireless connection. The phone acts as a "modem" and makes
    > the net connection. Bear in mind that PC networking requires a HELL OF A
    > LOT of packets so don't even *experiment* with it unless you're on an
    > unlimited data plan.

    Not out of the box with Bluetooth on the Treo 650. It does not work as a
    modem, unless you hack it.

    http://shadowmite.com/
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 03:16:37 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:06:03 GMT, johnbartley@email.com (John Bartley
    >K7AAY telcom admin, Portland OR) wrote:
    >
    >>T-Mobile has a $31/mo unmetered GPRS service. But, it's slower than the other US
    >>majors (except for NEXTEL, which offeres a thundering 9.6kbps).
    >
    >T-Mobile GPRS T-Zones is $19.99 per month unlimited.

    That requires you to have a voice plan to add T-Zones to. I just use it for
    data, so my *total* monthly bill is $31. Your $19.99/mo must be added to a voice
    plan.

    --
    John Bartley K7AAY 503.326.2231...147
    telecom syadmin, USBC-Oregon, Portland - Views are mine.
    http://palmwireless.cjb.net Wireless FAQ for PalmOS(r)
    Dilbert is a documentary.

Cingular Wireless Internet Service Providers