Sign in with
Your question

Will Purchase Win 7-64 Bit, Buy "For System Builders" or "Retail"?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Gaming
Last response: in Windows 7
December 28, 2009 11:51:14 AM

Hello All,

I am going to purchase Windows 7 Professional – 64 bit for the gaming system I am building. When I am on the Newegg.com site, I am seeing two versions:

MS Windows 7 64-bit 1-Pack for System builders OEM ($139.99)
and
MS Windows 7 Professional Full – Retail ($274.49) (I don’t know if this is 64 bit)

I am building my own system, so I am assuming the “System builders” version is what I should go with?

Thanks,
Jim

More about : purchase win bit buy system builders retail

a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2009 12:08:25 PM

Retail versions include both 32 and 64-bit media in the box. OEM is much cheaper, but remember that you can't move an OEM copy from one computer to another... it stays with the computer on which you first install it.
m
l
December 28, 2009 12:31:55 PM

OK, this makes sense. So if I wanted to install Win7 on my 2nd computer, the OEM would see a conflict?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 28, 2009 12:39:33 PM

The retail copy would as well... if you were installing and using both computers. If you only activate it on one computer, then it should be fine.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
a b 4 Gaming
December 28, 2009 1:30:16 PM

Here's the Wikipedia article on Microsoft Windows OEM licensing and there is a complete Windows 7 Edition comparison chart on the page showing the differences between OEM and Retail licensing for each version.

There is a lot of information on the page.

Windows 7 editions Wiki
m
l
!