Problems installing Windows 7 (64 Bit) to SSD

brianintheusa

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Hello,

Can you help. I'm trying to install Windows 7 (64bit) to a new PC build. When trying to install windows to a Samsung 840 SSD. I get the following error.

The install see's the SSD with two partitions (System and Primary) with both I get the same error - Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. ON EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT desks.

If I take the SSD out, I can load windows to a standard HD without issue but that defeats the point. Any assistance is welcome.

game junky

Distinguished
You have master boot record files on the HDD - you'll need to backup the data, wipe that HDD and copy your files back over manually. For the moment, disconnect that drive until you can complete the data wipe.

Now, install windows with just the SSD connected to your motherboard. Allow it to format the hard drive (delete both the partitions within the selection window when it asks where to install the OS).

That's about it - make sure that you have AHCI enabled on your motherboard's BIOS or it won't pass TRIM commands and you won't get the speed you're hoping for from that drive.