Closed

Good system, but very low FPS on SC2!

Hey everyone, I recently upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce GTS 250, but I'm still getting VERY low FPS. Some Starcraft 2 games go as low as 1 frame per second. What makes me think that it's a graphics card problem is that my core clock, shader clock, and memory are all at capacity while playing the game. I tried overclocking it, but if I raise the settings even a little bit, then after a couple of minutes it's suddently capped at a third of its speed, and I have to restart it to get back to even a basic level of performance.

However, there are a few things that make me think there's more to the problem, or that the bottleneck is somewhere else. First, all benchmarks of the GTS 250 show that I should be hitting no less than around 25 FPS on the highest settings. However, on low graphic settings I seem to average(!!) about 12 FPS, whereas on ultra settings I average around 10 FPS. Because there's barely a difference, I think that something else is affecting my computer.

During gameplay, all four of my cores are fairly busy, but none of them seems to even pass 80% of capacity. My memory usage seems to be around 3/4s. And I've uninstalled a lot of programs, and made sure that not many are running in the background.

I ran some benchmarks and I don't think that any of my hardware should be unable to run SC2, especially just on low settings and low resolutions, when even my laptop can easily. The GTS 250 is almost universally rated as being in between ATI's 5750 and 5770.

Here are my specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor (4C, 2.2GHz, 1.8GHz IMC, 4x 512kB L2, 2MB L3)
Motherboard: Acer RS780HVF
Memory: 4GB DIMM DDR2 (800 MHz, 2 x Transcend JM800QLU-2G 2GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400U DDR2-800)
Graphics Card: eVGA GeForce GTS 250 (128 SM4.0 1.4GHz, 1GB DDR3 2x900MHz, PCIe 2.00 x16)
Hard Drive: (NTFS) @ Seagate ST3640623AS (640.1GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 16MB Cache)
(SC2 doesn't require the DVD)
Sound Card: AuzenTech X-Plosion 7.1
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Essential 500W Power Supply

And I have a lot more specifications and benchmarks, so just ask me if you need them.

I would be very grateful if you could help me find where my bottleneck is, I don't mind spending a little bit more money, but something's obviously very wrong here. Thank you very much for even reading this!! I was thinking that it could be a motherboard problem, since mine is only stock, but I just want to make sure before I start sinking in more money lol. Don't want it to be too late to return my graphics card either.
31 answers Last reply
More about good system
  1. Load up task manager and check the cpu usage. If all cores are load or just two then you need to look at overclocking your cpu. Second buying another new card isn;t going to help since you have a non graphics related bottleneck.
  2. More on the eVGA card:

Chipset Nvidia Geforce GTS 250
    Engine clock 675MHz
    Shader clock 1500MHz
    Stream Processors 128
    Fillrate N/A
    Memory 1 GB DDR3
    Memory clock 1800 MHz (effective)
    Memory interface 256-bit
    Memory Bandwidth 57.6 GB/s
    Bus Interface PCI Express x16
    SLI Capable 2-way

Cooling Dual Slot Active
    Resolution & Refresh Rate Max Refresh Rate: 240Hz
    2048x1536 Max Analog
    2560x1600 Max Digital

It's definitely a bit less than the reference model, but most 250s seem to be, and it should still be getting a lot more than 12 FPS average on low graphics settings lol.
  3. I downloaded a separate program to monitor my CPUs, all four cores never seem to come close to maxing out.
  4. Check the temps on your GTS250 and if you want to see a major improvement over that then get a GTX460 or a 5850.
  5. I just used task manager and even early on in a game I'm at 15 FPS and only 32% CPU usage, and the highest that a core has hit was around 70% maybe.

Temps as in temperature? I don't think I've ever seen it go up past 70 degrees celsius, even when I was trying to overclock it. It's 50 degrees at idle, and Nvidia says it can go up to 105 degrees.

I think if something else is giving me a bottleneck, then I don't really want to shell out a few hundred for a great card lol. Even if I have to replace the motherboard that would probably be a lot cheaper, especially here in Canada.
  6. You might want to download 3dmark vantage, or 3dmark06 and benchmark your system. Come back with the results. This may be an install issue, and not about your GPU/CPU at all.
  7. Okay 3dmark03/vantage gave me a score of 31464, and a CPU score of 838.

GT1: 334.1 fps
    GT2: 276.2 fps
    GT3: 220.7 fps
    GT4: 217.5 fps
    CPU Test 1: 80.1 fps
    CPU Test 2: 17.1 fps
    Fill rate (single-texturing): 5267.6 MTexels/s
    Fill rate (multi-texturing): 33490.7 MTexels/s
    Vertex Shader: 135.2 fps
    Pixel Shader 2.0 393.0 fps
    Ragtrolls 131.6 fps
  8. Could you try 3dmark06 at least or 3dmark Vantage (You can only run this once if you don't purchase it)? I don't think many people know what you should expect from 3dmark03.
  9. Get HD tune and run benchmark. Also get pcwizard to test other parts of the system. If not cpu and gpu then it may be drive and ram related bottleneck. Also get cpuz and load screenshots so that we all can see.
  10. Okay this is from 3dmark Vantage:

3DMark Score P6070 3DMarks
    CPU Score 21266
    Graphics Score 4903

I'll try HD Tune, PC Wizard and CPU-Z next.

One thing I've noticed too is that I don't think my motherboard supports PCI 2.0, but my graphics card does, and I've heard that 2.0 has double the bandwidth, could that be the bottleneck? My motherboard's really the only crappy stock part.
  11. From HD Tune:

Minimum: 44.2 MB/s
    Maximum: 118.3 MB/s
    Average: 89.2 MB/s
    Access Time: 17.8 ms
    Burst Rate: 139.2 MB/s
    CPU usage: 5.6%
  12. Ken2099 said:
    Okay this is from 3dmark Vantage:

3DMark Score P6070 3DMarks
    CPU Score 21266
    Graphics Score 4903

I'll try HD Tune, PC Wizard and CPU-Z next.

One thing I've noticed too is that I don't think my motherboard supports PCI 2.0, but my graphics card does, and I've heard that 2.0 has double the bandwidth, could that be the bottleneck? My motherboard's really the only crappy stock part.

Those scores seem about right from what I've seen on some benchmarks.

I'd like to see GPU-Z too, on that list. Also, what resolution do you play on?
  13. Oh, I just had a thought, have you checked your Nvidia control panel, and made sure you did not have AA forced on?
  14. From PC Wizard 2010:

Global Performance:

Processor Global Performance: 224050.00
    Cache and Memory Global Performance: 95350.00
    Memory Global Performance:: 5590.14
    Video Global Performance: 371.00
    Hard Disk Global Performance: 118.00

And it seemed pretty much in the middle of all the reference models on all the measurements.

Are there any of the specific tests in PC Wizard that you want me to perform?
  15. Where do I find AA in the Nvidia Control Panel? It's a fresh install by the way, so most settings are set to default or let the video player/3D application decide. And SC2 doesn't support AA.

I've tried lower resolutions and they don't really make a difference, same as how gaming on low vs. ultra only makes a ~2 FPS difference. That's why I don't think it's the video card, because the absolute lowest settings don't seem to perform much better than the absolute highest settings lol.

CPU-Z test coming up next. Thanks for helping me with this by the way!
  16. Don't forget GPU-Z

As to where to find AA. I don't have an Nvidia card in my system atm, so I can't tell you exactly where it's located, but I'll go off of memory to at least get you close.

SC2 doesn't support AA in game, but it is supported in the Nvidia control panel, and it has a heavy hit on performance if used.

Anyways, right click on the desktop and click on the Nvidia control panel there. Now you need to find your 3d settings (it might be called something else). Then make sure the AA settings are set to application controlled. There should also be a tab for specific applications, click on that, and find SC2, and make sure that too is set to application controlled.
  17. The MEM test not the global and please get cpu-z and upload screen shots of the cpu and ram tabs. Also try PC wizzard 2008 for more teche info. Over all your system is woefully underperforming for your specs. I own a 8250e tri core that I managed a 39% overclock so I know a thing or two about this generation hardware. I also am a gpu collector and am familiar with the G92 which is core of the GTS250. I got both 55nm and 65nm versions. Overall something is very wrong with your system.

The one thing that has yet to be brought up is your ram configuration so please load screen shots from cpuz so that it is easy for you while still getting the info we all need to help you.

cpu tab

memory tab

spd tab
  18. Here are the results from CPU-Z:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2dr7uc4.png

Oh and if I change the dropdown under Graphics to "3D Applications" it gives me the proper speeds for my graphics card. And my performance monitors confirm that the speed goes up once I start a game. If I try overclocking the graphics card then it goes to the specs shown in the screenshot though... so down to 300 MHz instead of 675 for the core clock, which brings my framerate down significantly.
  19. Okay, found it, everything AA-related is either application controlled or off altogether, so it's not that.
  20. By the way this is what SiSoftware Sandra gave me for a report a while ago, I couldn't understand any it and didn't know if anything was significant, but maybe you guys would. And sorry for the giant post lol.

***** Start of Report *****
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< Computer Overview >>>
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning 100: Large memory sizes should be made of
    Registered/Buffered memory.
    Tip 2546: Large memory modules should be ECC/Parity.

<<< Mainboard >>>

Notice 224: SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
    Tip 2511: Some memory slots are free so the memory can
    be easily upgraded.
    Warning 100: Large memory sizes should be made of
    Registered/Buffered memory.
    Tip 2546: Large memory modules should be ECC/Parity.
    Warning 2543: Memory hole may not be required. Check BIOS
    settings.

<<< Plug & Play >>>

<<< Mainboard Configuration >>>

Notice 224: Computer BIOS : SMBIOS/DMI information may be
    inaccurate.
    Tip 212: Computer BIOS : BIOS can be shadowed so check
    whether it is.
    Tip 211: Computer BIOS : BIOS is flash-able and
    socketed so it can be upgraded when needed.

<<< Processors >>>

Tip 210: CPU 1 [Processor 0, Core 0, Thread 0] :
    Mainboard supports faster CPUs, so the CPU
    can be upgraded when needed.
    Notice 224: CPU 1 [Processor 0, Core 0, Thread 0] :
    SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
    Tip 210: CPU 2 [Processor 0, Core 1, Thread 0] :
    Notice 224: CPU 2 [Processor 0, Core 1, Thread 0] :
    Tip 210: CPU 3 [Processor 0, Core 2, Thread 0] :
    Notice 224: CPU 3 [Processor 0, Core 2, Thread 0] :
    Tip 210: CPU 4 [Processor 0, Core 3, Thread 0] :
    Notice 224: CPU 4 [Processor 0, Core 3, Thread 0] :

<<< Buses and Devices >>>

Tip 1202: PCI : AMD F10h Athlon 64/Opteron/Sempron HT
    Hub : Device does not support bus mastering.
    Tip 1202: PCI : AMD F10h Athlon 64/Opteron/Sempron
    Address Map : Device does not support bus
    mastering.
    Tip 1202: PCI : AMD F10h Athlon 64/Opteron/Sempron DRAM
    Controller : Device does not support bus
    mastering.
    Tip 1202: PCI : AMD F10h Athlon 64/Opteron/Sempron
    Miscellaneous Control : Device does not
    support bus mastering.
    Tip 1202: PCI : AMD F10h Athlon 64/Opteron/Sempron Link
    Control : Device does not support bus
    mastering.

<<< Power Management >>>

Notice 224: SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.

<<< System Resources >>>

<<< Displays and Display Adapters >>>

Notice 2539: Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (128
    SM4.0 1.4GHz, 1GB DDR3 2x900MHz, PCIe 2.00
    x16) : Disabled environment sensors have been
    enabled. Check readings.
    Tip 2221: Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (128
    x16) : Driver is not certified.
    Tip 319: Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (128
    x16) : A refresh rate of at least 75Hz is
    recommended. Increase it if possible.
    Notice 2539: Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (128
    SP 1.4GHz, 1GB DDR3 2x900MHz, PCIe 2.00 x16) :
    Disabled environment sensors have been
    enabled. Check readings.
    Warning 300: Monitor/Panel : Generic PnP Monitor : Unknown
    monitor. Install the driver for the monitor
    (or similar model) for optimum performance.

<<< Physical Disks >>>

<<< SCSI Devices >>>

Warning 2600: ST3640623AS [P0 T0 H0 L0] (C:) (D:) : SCSI
    version does not adhere to ANSI. Probably ATA/
    ATAPI device.
    Warning 2600: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S [P1 T0 H1 L0] (E:) :
    SCSI version does not adhere to ANSI.
    Probably ATA/ATAPI device.
    Notice 5901: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S [P1 T0 H1 L0] (E:) :
    CD 1x= 150kB/s; Exercise caution when
    comparing measured versus published CD
    ratings.
    Notice 5902: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S [P1 T0 H1 L0] (E:) :
    DVD 1x= 11.08Mbps; Exercise caution when
    comparing measured versus published DVD
    ratings.

<<< Printers and Faxes >>>

<<< Ports >>>

<<< Game Controllers >>>

Error: No devices found. : No controllers present!

<<< Audio Devices >>>

Warning 710: MIDI Output Devices (Playback) : Microsoft GS
    Wavetable Synth : Driver may be obsolete.
    Check that it is the latest version.

<<< Mice and Track-balls >>>

<<< Keyboards and Tablets >>>

<<< Information Displays >>>

Error: No devices found. : Could not connect to
    device; check connection and device driver.

<<< Network Adapters >>>

Error: Bluetooth Support : No controllers present!
    Warning 506: Firewall Programs : No firewall installed or
    they are all disabled. Check settings.

<<< Network (LAN) >>>

Error: Bluetooth Network : No domains found : No
    hosts detected!
    Error: Terminal Servers Network : No domains found :
    No hosts detected!

<<< Portable Devices >>>

<<< Operating System >>>

Tip 1300: Enter your company name or "Home" instead of
    "Unknown".
    Warning 1316: This copy of Windows contains Product
    Activation Technology.
    Tip 1324: .NET Framework 1.1 not installed. Install to
    run legacy .NET applications.
    Tip 1327: Java Runtime Engine not installed. Install it
    to run the current Java applications.

<<< Virtual Machines and Runtime Engines >>>

<<< Key Applications >>>

Error: Instant Messaging : Empty : No packages found
    Error: Java Runtime Engine : Empty : No packages
    found
    Error: Internet Call : Empty : No packages found
    Warning 506: Firewall : McAfee Personal Firewall : No
    firewall installed or they are all disabled.
    Check settings.
    Warning 510: Firewall : McAfee Personal Firewall : Anti-
    virus definitions not up-to-date! Update it
    as soon as possible.
    Warning 528: Anti-Spyware : Windows Defender : No anti-
    spyware programs detected or they are all are
    disabled. Check settings.

<<< Start Menu Applications >>>

<<< Memory Usage >>>

<<< Processes >>>

Tip 1601: [System Process] : Program consumes a large
    amount of memory.
    Tip 1601: explorer.exe (Windows Explorer) : Program
    consumes a large amount of memory.
    Tip 1601: lxdxmsdmon.exe (Printer Card Transfer
    Monitor) : Program consumes a large amount of
    memory.
    Tip 1601: RpcSandraSrv.exe (SiSoftware Sandra Agent
    Service (NT)(Unicode)) : Program consumes a
    large amount of memory.
    Warning: WmiPrvSE.exe (WMI Provider Host) : Process no
    longer exists!

<<< Modules >>>

<<< Sessions >>>

<<< Services and Drivers >>>

Tip 2130: Background Intelligent Transfer Service :
    Service may be disabled on Home/Professional
    OS version.
    Tip 2130: Computer Browser : Service may be disabled on
    Home/Professional OS version.
    Tip 2130: Windows Media Center Service Launcher :
    Service may be disabled on Home/Professional
    OS version.
    Tip 2130: COM+ Event System : Service may be disabled
    on Home/Professional OS version.
    Tip 2130: TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper : Service may be
    disabled on Home/Professional OS version.
    Tip 2130: IPsec Policy Agent : Service may be disabled
    Tip 2130: Secondary Logon : Service may be disabled on
    Tip 2130: Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) : Service may
    be disabled on Home/Professional OS version.
    Tip 2130: Terminal Services : Service may be disabled
    Tip 2130: UPnP Device Host : Service may be disabled on

<<< Installed Applications >>>

<<< Installed Processes >>>

<<< Components & Objects >>>

<<< Users and Groups >>>

Warning 1329: Local Users : Guest : Account is not secured
    (no password). Consider password protection.
    Warning 1329: Local Users : Ken : Account is not secured
    (no password). Consider password protection.

<<< Media Players >>>

<<< Cryptography and Certificates >>>

Error: User : Personal (My) : No certificates found
    in the store.
    Error: User : Enterprise Trust (Trust) : No
    certificates found in the store.
    Error: User : Active Directory User Object (UserDS) :
    No certificates found in the store.
    Error: User : Trusted Publishers (TrustedPublisher) :
    Error: User : Trusted People (TrustedPeople) : No
    Error: User : Smart Card Trusted Roots
    (SmartCardRoot) : No certificates found in
    the store.
    Error: Local Computer : Personal (My) : No
    Error: Local Computer : Enterprise Trust (Trust) :
    Error: Local Computer : Trusted Publishers
    (TrustedPublisher) : No certificates found in
    the store.
    Error: Local Computer : Trusted People
    (TrustedPeople) : No certificates found in
    the store.
    Error: Local Computer : Smart Card Trusted Roots
    (SmartCardRoot) : No certificates found in
    the store.

<<< Fonts >>>

<<< Media Devices >>>

MPEGVideo: Unknown problem while loading the specified
    device driver.

<<< DirectX >>>

Tip 2221: Direct3D 9 Devices : NVIDIA GeForce
    GTS 250 (\\.\DISPLAY1) : Driver is
    not certified.

<<< OpenGL >>>

<<< Logical Drives >>>

Warning 1800: PQSERVICE @ Seagate ST3640623AS (640.1GB,
    SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 16MB Cache) :
    Increase free disk space. Some programs may
    run out of disk space.
    Warning 1800: ACER (C:) @ Seagate ST3640623AS (640.1GB,
    run out of disk space.
    Warning 1825: ACER (C:) @ Seagate ST3640623AS (640.1GB,
    Consider compressing the drive. Compress or
    delete unneeded files to increase free space.
    Warning 1800: DATA (D:) @ Seagate ST3640623AS (640.1GB,
    run out of disk space.
    Warning: Removable Drive (F:) @ Generic-Compact Flash
    (USB) : Cannot obtain drive information;
    check that a disk is in the drive and it is
    correctly formatted.
    Warning: Removable Drive (G:) @ Generic-SM/xD-Picture
    correctly formatted.
    Warning: Removable Drive (H:) @ Generic-SD/MMC (USB) :
    Cannot obtain drive information; check that a
    disk is in the drive and it is correctly
    formatted.
    Warning: Removable Drive (I:) @ Generic-MS/MS-Pro
    correctly formatted.

<<< Data Sources >>>

Error: MS Access Database (User) [Microsoft Access
    Driver (*.mdb)] : Could not connect to the
    database. : Could not connect to the
    database.
    Error: Excel Files (User) [Microsoft Excel Driver
    (*.xls)] : Could not connect to the database.
    : Could not connect to the database.
    Error: dBASE Files (User) [Microsoft dBase Driver
    (*.dbf)] : Could not connect to the database.
    : Could not connect to the database.

<<< File Types >>>

<<< Web Components >>>

Error: ActiveX Packages : No packages found : No
    controllers present!
    Error: Java Class Packages : No packages found : No
    controllers present!

<<< Environment Variables >>>

***** End of Report *****
  21. Hi found this review from 2007 shows your cpu is very poor in some games

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/spider-weaves-web,1728-25.html
  22. Yeah I'm definitely still concerned about the CPU. I was told that a lot of the earlier Phenoms even had manufacturing defects. But this is how it ranks in benchmarks compared to the most common processors:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

It definitely has some issues for certain games and tasks, but I don't think it's so horrible that it wouldn't even be able to play SC2 on the lowest settings. Something else has to be wrong.

The other thing is that if I do get a new CPU, I'll probably have to get a new motherboard and new memory, so I want to be really sure that it's the CPU that's causing the problem.

Can a CPU cause a low framerate even if Task Manager, Resource Manager and another tool are all showing that none of the cores are close to maxing out?
  23. Although I did find another board where someone with the same processor and generally good parts was having framerate problems with SC2 with no apparently reason either lol. But I don't know if one other post is enough to nail that it's the CPU, especially since there could be posts like that for every processor.
  24. Oh yeah, big CPU bottleneck. SC2 is only gonna use 2 cores, and in your case, 2 pretty low clocked cores.

Check this chart out. http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,705392/Starcraft-2-Beta-CPU-benchmarks-x-Core-i5/i7-leading/Practice/

Shows the Intel Q6600 getting some pretty low FPS, and it's a faster processor then the Phenom 9500, by a fair bit.
  25. Wow yeah good point, the Q6600 has about a 30% higher score on the benchmark site that I posted. Why does Blizzard state that the minimum requirement is a P4 then lol? A lame processor does make sense though, just because the graphics and resolution aren't affecting the FPS.

And the more I look into it, the less likely I'm thinking it's the motherboard, because apparently even having a PCI-e 2.0 slot supposedly only adds a couple frames per second.

It's just harsh that to get a better processor I'll probably end up having to get a new motherboard and memory too. But I've been looking at the Phenom II X4 965, it seems to be very well recommended for gaming, and placed pretty high on Lucuis' SC2 benchmark list.

The worst part is that I'm going back to school in September and will probably only have a couple weeks to play it haha, and I already had to buy a new graphics card too.
  26. Yeah gaming is evil like that....I'm getting an i7 build pretty soon myself' and i just got a gtx 470 a month ago. Darned thing showed me my q6600 needed to be replaced :(
  27. before you go out and spend all the money. I have a E6600 2.4ghz Core2Duo and the game runs just fine. I get at least 45fps average on ultra settings. Now I do have a GTX 280 and 6GB of RAM, but that has nothing to do with our comparison here. I do not think your gpu/cpu should only produce 10fps in low settings. My laptop which a 1.8ghz C2D and 7300 m GPU can get better stats then you. I would say there is a high chance that there is something else that is causing this problem. Try playing on a fresh install of windows? reformat HD perahps?
  28. I did some searching, and found this:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/13501357

Quote:
    * First generation AMD Phenom processors (ending in 00) will work but you need to be aware of the TLB fix. It has a pretty substantial performance drop so you might see choppiness. We have a pretty large writeup on the World of Warcraft forum with a bit more information about it. http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=10971909544&sid=1

/Quote

This may be the issue with your CPU.
  29. Vearo said:
    I did some searching, and found this:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/13501357

Quote:
    * First generation AMD Phenom processors (ending in 00) will work but you need to be aware of the TLB fix. It has a pretty substantial performance drop so you might see choppiness. We have a pretty large writeup on the World of Warcraft forum with a bit more information about it. http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=10971909544&sid=1

/Quote

This may be the issue with your CPU.

That is why people should avoid the B1 sample xx00 while the B2 xx50 do not have the issue. I got a 8250e that I am running at 2.57ghz and I have no performance issues. So upgrading the cpu is a good move while making sure the system ram is configured properly is another.
  30. As soon as i saw the Phenom 9500 i thought it would be a CPU issue. The first gen Phenoms were slow and hot, not to mention fairly poor in games. Also, your Phenom isnt even the 9550 (updated version) which was prone to the TLB erratum bug that plagued performance too.
  31. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics