CPU Upgrade?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computers
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
December 21, 2010 9:42:53 AM

Hello community,

For a while now i've considered what part of my computer to upgrade, to be a little more uphand with the new Technology, without buying an entirely new computer (yet).
I've asked around, browsed the web and consulted Windows 7 "Windows Experience Index." It appears that upgrading my CPU is the most logical upgrade. People have more than once called it a bottleneck for my performance, especially to my GTX260 graphics card.

So I would like to ask you for advice. With as far as my knowledge in this area goes, i'm only able to say that I care about both Single thread speed as the amount of multithreads. I run a few older programs that appearantly only use a single thread, but as I said, I'd also like to run more modern programs..

What good processor can my mainboard support? Or should I just get a new Mainboard with an even better cpu without paying too much?

Budget: Approx. $500,-

System specs (Thanks to CPU-Z):

-CPU

-Cache

-Mainboard

-RAM

-SPID

-Graphics

Hope this gives a clear image of my specs. I should probably update my RAM too. I even had someone telling me I might want to consider getting a faster HDD!
My HDD is a MAXTOR STM3250310AS ATA.

Thanks in advance for any of your responses!

More about : cpu upgrade

December 21, 2010 10:32:42 AM

hmmm... im having trouble finding you motherboard...

oh well, could you tell me where you would like to buy a new cpu?
newegg, amazon,etc
December 21, 2010 12:49:16 PM

Hello and thanks for the reply!

I live in the Netherlands actually, so buying online is more complicated than usual. However, I don't mind where it's from, aslong as it's a trustworthy site. Why do you need to ask that though?

Related resources
December 21, 2010 2:25:32 PM

I would recommend you to get intel's i7 920, or an amd phenom ii x6 1090t BE. up to you, both are up to the neck in terms of performance but i7 outperform's AMD's by a very small difference.

And your 500$ budget is quite more for what you are getting, so instead spending more get a new compatible motherboard from the price remaining. If you are more concerned about SLIs or crossfires, then I am sorry you have to increase your budget to get a high end compatible motherboard. Mobo has eventually nothing to do with performance, but overclocking is what people spend more on it.

And you said that you own a gtx 260. well any mentioned CPU paired with it make your pc a monster rig.

your ram is too low, your are going to have several bottlenecks with it. Atleast, a 4gb ddr3 ram will do.

And for the PC which is planned by you also requires a monitor(ofcourse). Don't get anything more than 1680X1050 or else the upcoming games may lag. Rockstar's have already planned GTA 5 which is going to be monster output.

Any question, just post a comment.
Regards.
December 21, 2010 6:18:01 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies!

@malmental
A bios update from regular providers? As in, no special tweaks needed? What is a C2Q? Core 2 Quad? And $200 for a CPU that fits in my PC and increases my speed doesn't sound bad at all!

@ATi RaDEoN
What do you think about malmentals opinion?
Would a i7 920 even fit on my mainboard?

I do not have nor want SLI or Crossfire.
I definetely am upgrading my RAM soon.
Does my mainboard support DDR3?
I've heard people say that DDR3 isn't better than DDR2 at all yet, just more expensive.

So.. What kind of mainboard + CPU set would you advice for within my budget?
December 21, 2010 6:28:31 PM

Thanks for the answer malmental!

So, I should get a new mainboard, with an i7 920 and DDR3 4GB RAM all for within 500 dollars?
And which ones would I like to look for?
I heard the i7 920 is an excellent cpu for overclocking. Or was that the 930... hmm.

Advice please!

Edit:
@malmental
What do you mean with your last question?
My budget is 500 dollars, and I want upgrade my system, so i don't have to buy an entire new PC, for now..
December 21, 2010 6:34:50 PM

Okay... so what set would I look for..?
December 21, 2010 6:46:05 PM

@malmental 1
No, because I have no idea where to start or what that even means...

A google search for i7 LGA1156 got me to i7-8xx or i7-8xxS, codename Lynnfield.
Is that what I want?
They each seem to be able to run 2x DDR3-1333, according to wikipedia;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors#.22Lynnfield.22_.2845_nm.29

@malmental 2
Very nice, those are the kind of answers i'm looking for!
Both of those suggestions look good.. Which of those would you choose? Also, I would still need to buy 2 RAM sticks with it, wouldn't I?

Anyone else who can give their opinion about malmental's suggestions?
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2010 6:53:37 PM

If you are budget limited you might look at the i5's instead of the i7's. There is some overlap in these lines and the i5-750 is a very good performing chip that can save you a little money. The i5-750 can usually overclock very well, close to but maybe not quite to the level of the i7-930. A year ago you could save $200 or more by going i5. You can still save some now but the difference is less than it was.

1. Search for the best price you can find on an i5-750
2. Buy a good aftermarket cpu cooler
3. Get the lowest priced Gigabyte motherboard that supports this chip
4. Get 4GB of new ram

December 21, 2010 7:08:21 PM

@Cadder
Thank you very much for your reply! ! am indeed looking for a somewhat cheaper upgrade.

I found an i5-750:
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-Processor-LGA1156-I5-7...

I found a motherboard to go with it:
http://www.amazon.com/LGA1156-4DDR3-2200-CrossFireX-Mot...

And 2 Ram sticks:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Channel-Memory-Processors...

That would be a total of approx. 400 dollars.

Would that be a good combination without needing anything else?

@malmental
That looks amazing as well.. do I need to buy that Solid State Drive with it? I know they're faster than usual hard drives, but do I really need that yet? I'd like to save those extra 130 dollars if possible!
a c 83 à CPUs
December 21, 2010 7:15:21 PM

arcticwolfx said:
Hello and thanks for the reply!

I live in the Netherlands actually, so buying online is more complicated than usual. However, I don't mind where it's from, aslong as it's a trustworthy site. Why do you need to ask that though?

have you tried www.komplett.com ? i've used the uk version before it shut down a couple years ago
December 21, 2010 7:23:23 PM

@13thmonkey
Thanks for that suggestion, i'll look into that as soon as I figured out what to get exactly!
December 21, 2010 7:38:43 PM

You said it! Haha

But we all want the best for the least money don't we!

In your earlier post you stated that you'll post links to a few cheaper options?

I think I'll just look for cheap CPU+Mainboard+RAM combo from now on, ask some local PC shops as well.

Thanks for all of your advice malmental, peace!

Anyone else with a suggestion?
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2010 7:59:29 PM

Quote:
# Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760
# MSI H55-GD65 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI ATX Intel Motherboard
# G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-60GBP2 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
# G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
$479.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

^1 nice
Arcticwolfx (good name) listen to Malmental
He is wise beyond his years
That setup would be good for years to come before another upgrade
All high quality stuff
You will be amazed at how fast that setup is
Use that setup as your guideline of what to buy
December 21, 2010 9:39:00 PM

I will! I printed that list actually minus the SSD, although I will look for a faster Hard drive. Thanks!
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2010 9:43:49 PM

good luck
Make sure you get a good heatsink/fan cooling setup
Enjoy
May 15, 2011 7:41:46 AM

alright, get the sandy bridge and asus p8p67
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2011 7:47:12 AM

ATi RaDEoN said:
alright, get the sandy bridge and asus p8p67

This is a 5 month thread.