Your question

Are these system temps acceptable?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 25, 2010 10:30:58 PM

Hi all :hello:  ,

Looking for some input regarding my newly built system which I've been using over the past couple months. Everything runs great but the temps seem a bit higher than the norm which is worrying me. I'm using an AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ stock. My average idle temps across all cores are usually 35C - 40C, under simple load they hover around 40C – 48C, and during intense CPU stress it'll easily be between 58C – 62C and on rare occasions I've seen it hit 64C.

I unfortunately live in a warm climate (desert) and always expected my temperatures to be higher than normal. My ambient room temperature fluctuates throughout the day easily with lows being around 27C (80F) and highs around 33C (90F). I average around 29C - 30C with my A/C coming on throughout the day.

My PC is in an open area on my desk with nothing blocking the fans, I currently have a Storm Scout case with two intake fans (1x 140mm Front, 1x 120mm Side) and two exhaust fans (1x 140mm Top, 1x 120mm Rear). I also decided to go with a Hyper N 520 HSF rather than the stock HSF. My temperatures are almost a 10 degree improvement under stress from my previous Intel system (easily saw it in the 70s) which made me quite happy until I realized that the X4 955 is max rated at 62C :(  .

My other system temperatures seem more reasonable, with my two HDD running in the low to mid 30's usually a couple degrees above my room temp and my motherboard sits comfortable in the low to high 30's.

My GPU is also higher then I would like but still seems very reasonable. I have a 4770 which I currently OC @ 900/950 during gaming and benchmarks which hover around 68C - 74C depending on what I'm doing. For everything else I run it at stock and it seems to idle between 45C – 50C depending on my room temps.

So are these temperatures to be expected with my systems setup and room temperatures? Or should I worry that they are a bit high especially the CPU considering its max rated at 62C? I originally planned to do a slight OC on my CPU to 3.4 but with these temps it doesn't seem like a good idea :??:  .

PS: All temps were monitored with Core Temp, CPUID Hardware & RivaTuner.

More about : system temps acceptable

a c 104 B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2010 12:02:47 AM

Your temps are fine specially looking at your ambient temp.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 26, 2010 12:54:33 AM

Rel865 said:
So are these temperatures to be expected with my systems setup and room temperatures? Or should I worry that they are a bit high especially the CPU considering its max rated at 62C? I originally planned to do a slight OC on my CPU to 3.4 but with these temps it doesn't seem like a good idea :??:  .

Those temperatures are safe and normal. Don't start to worry unless the CPU temperatures reach the high 60s. I wouldn't overclock without getting a better CPU cooler.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 26, 2010 1:50:44 AM

I'm dealing with similar issues right now. I have read in the past that the newer AMD chips don't like temps 70c and up. Might actually start causing damage at that point. I haven't researched enough to confirm this, though. If that is true, you seem to be in good shape.
m
l
September 28, 2010 12:44:57 AM

Thanks for the replies, just worries me that my temps are so high :(  .

brandoncatz said:
I'm dealing with similar issues right now. I have read in the past that the newer AMD chips don't like temps 70c and up. Might actually start causing damage at that point. I haven't researched enough to confirm this, though. If that is true, you seem to be in good shape.

Guess that's some comforting news then :)  .
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 28, 2010 12:51:04 AM

If you want to know how truly safe you are, I would run Prime95 for at least two hours, which gives you Max Load Temps. These are actually the more important than idle, as it shows the max your system will be under. If those temps are fine, all others are acceptable, even if a little higher due to ambient temps.
m
l
September 29, 2010 10:03:40 PM

tecmo34 said:
If you want to know how truly safe you are, I would run Prime95 for at least two hours, which gives you Max Load Temps. These are actually the more important than idle, as it shows the max your system will be under. If those temps are fine, all others are acceptable, even if a little higher due to ambient temps.

Good call, decided to run it for about three hours and it was perfectly stable, everything passed no errors.

These are the temps that I recorded during the stress test, I also turned on my A/C after the first hour to see the impact.

First hour ambient temp 88F/~31C - hovered consistently around 66C with the occasional 67C but rarely.
Second hour ambient temp 84F/~29C - Max temp of 64C going as low as 62C.
Third hour ambient temp 80F/~27C - Max temp here was 62C going as low as 60C

Higher then the max rated temp of 62C but I guess not as bad as I first thought. On occasion as I said before I've climbed during intense CPU use (gaming, specifically BFBC2) to 64C when my room temp is at its highest. Still a bit concerned that even with good airflow through my case and an after market HSF that my temps are still this high. Is there anything that I could do to help improve this? I'd love to run my A/C 24/7 but that sadly isn't a real option considering my monthly bill sits around the level of budget build :cry:  .
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 29, 2010 10:15:15 PM

From what I'm reading, your temps are just fine! I would just continue to monitor and maybe kick up the AC when needed :) 
m
l
!