• Hard Drives
  • SSD
  • Desktops
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
January 4, 2013 3:32:23 PM

was just on newegg for a sec and saw this drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=S...

this thing is flatter than an SSD yet it is mechanical and it has close to all of the specs that a top of the line mechanical desktop drive has? trying to understand how that is engineered.

More about : question

January 4, 2013 4:42:13 PM

damnit...the link is broken. they must have a shellshocker link and it's just displaying that. it was a hard drive with all the trimmings, 7200rpm, 32mb cache, 500gb, etc. yet it was as thick as a penny(a few pennies) and yet mechanical? how?
m
l
Related resources
a c 386 G Storage
January 4, 2013 5:51:02 PM

The height is 7mm which is only 2mm less than a standard 9mm laptop drive. I don't see anythiing out of the ordinary or extraordinary about the drive.
m
l
January 4, 2013 6:00:42 PM

hello, thank you, i'm not saying there is anything extraordinay obviously it's being mass produced....i'm just saying that i have not seen this before, and was hoping someone could explain how(mechanically) it is able to do what it does at that size.
m
l
a c 92 G Storage
January 4, 2013 7:07:10 PM

As technology advances, tolerances decrease to the point where smaller things are possible. One of the benefits is increasing the data you can put on a single platter. Typically a 500GB drive uses 2 platters. This drive only uses 1 platter enabling it to be built smaller.
m
l
!