LAN--no connect; WAN--connect

G

I'm having trouble connecting to a server in my LAN to which I used to be able to connect.

I have a Linksys router (R1) connected through a cable modem to the cloud. I have a PC connected through a switch to R1; a laptop (L1) connected wirelessly through an AP, then to R1, then to the cloud; and a Linux server (SuSE 9.x) (S1) connected to R1, then to the cloud. I also have a dinky R&S lab connected through the switch to R1. I haven't tried its connection to the cloud, but L1 gets into the lab fine, so I'm happy. R1 runs RIPv2 for lab connectivity.

My problem is with S1; all the other devices work fine. S1 has three NICs; originally, these were set to 192.168.1.2, ...3.1, and ...2.2 (was playing around with Samba), with route forwarding turned on to forward to .2.2. All three NICs had R1 set as their default gateway. At this point, everything worked fine. I reorganized S1, now all three NICs are in the same subnet as each other, as R1, and as my PC and L1--everything in one subnet (subnet and mask confirmed), one NIC is directly connected to R1, the other two NICs are unconnected, and route forwarding is turned off because two of the NICs are unconnected, and the third is directly connected to its default gateway.

My problem is this: neither my PC nor L1 now can see S1 at all. Pings from any of these to S1 return "destination host unreachable," and pings from S1 do the same. However, S1 gets into the cloud, just fine--my browser takes me anywhere I want to go. Pings to a DNS server in the cloud work just fine. Traceroute from S1 to R1 fails. However, traceroute to the DNS server (among other places) succeed, and R1 is returned as the first hop--in a fraction of a millisecond.

I'd like to get connectivity to S1 back, and to understand this particular symptom suite. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric Hines

I'm having trouble connecting to a server in my LAN to which I used to be able to connect.

I have a Linksys router (R1) connected through a cable modem to the cloud. I have a PC connected through a switch to R1; a laptop (L1) connected wirelessly through an AP, then to R1, then to the cloud; and a Linux server (SuSE 9.x) (S1) connected to R1, then to the cloud. I also have a dinky R&S lab connected through the switch to R1. I haven't tried its connection to the cloud, but L1 gets into the lab fine, so I'm happy. R1 runs RIPv2 for lab connectivity.

My problem is with S1; all the other devices work fine. S1 has three NICs; originally, these were set to 192.168.1.2, ...3.1, and ...2.2 (was playing around with Samba), with route forwarding turned on to forward to .2.2. All three NICs had R1 set as their default gateway. At this point, everything worked fine. I reorganized S1, now all three NICs are in the same subnet as each other, as R1, and as my PC and L1--everything in one subnet (subnet and mask confirmed), one NIC is directly connected to R1, the other two NICs are unconnected, and route forwarding is turned off because two of the NICs are unconnected, and the third is directly connected to its default gateway.

My problem is this: neither my PC nor L1 now can see S1 at all. Pings from any of these to S1 return "destination host unreachable," and pings from S1 do the same. However, S1 gets into the cloud, just fine--my browser takes me anywhere I want to go. Pings to a DNS server in the cloud work just fine. Traceroute from S1 to R1 fails. However, traceroute to the DNS server (among other places) succeed, and R1 is returned as the first hop--in a fraction of a millisecond.

I'd like to get connectivity to S1 back, and to understand this particular symptom suite. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric Hines

I've read through this three times and am still not sure this comment will be germain :D but did you undo the route forwarding settings in router R1 ?

G

R1 has no route forwarding capacity, per se. It does have a default static route with the next hop set to the ISP's mandated next hop IP address. In any event, this part has not changed since I re-did S1.

Eric Hines