Copying from old server to new server

is there a utility out there that can copy content from one server's hdd to a new server's hdd; I need to migrate a fileserver, and wondering what's the best approach.
5 answers Last reply
More about copying server server
  1. Get both file servers up on the same gigabit network and just copy it over manually. You can do this many ways, but often the simple way is best.
  2. I did that. I left it overnight. it got thru 4% of the transfer and hit a file it didn't like. it said it encountered an error. it wanted me to delete or skip. the off thing is it stops the whole process. how can I avoid this /
  3. But does the error include a number to look up? Also, make sure than no file pathway is more than (ai think) 252 characters.

Edit: it is 260 characters. The files you are copying over, if you are copying them to a folder lower in the hierarchy, could be too long. But that is Windows at least.
  4. The error didn't include a number (I wasn't there though). I don't think the file was too long because it would have said that.
  5. njxc500 said:
    Get both file servers up on the same gigabit network and just copy it over manually. You can do this many ways, but often the simple way is best.

That is what I did but it throws up these small glitches and then stops copying until an answer is selected - delete or skip. It means you have to babysit thru the transfer of 300 gb of data!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Migrate Servers Storage