I'm not a techy... here's what I have:
Vista Ultimate ACPI 64bit
dell precision M4400
Intel Core2 Extreme CPU Q9300 2.54GHz x 4
400GB HD - ~88GB free
8GB RAM
NVIDIA G96-950-GL
IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Here's what happened - I'v had this laptop for about a year and my prob started about 2 wks ago when I loaded 8 virtual XPs to my HD. The are are not highly graphical at all. I noticed when I use the virtual that it slows down and I have some transparency problems.

Any clues? Don't be 2 hard on me... :) 
August 15, 2010 12:12:28 PM

No clue, why do you need 8 virtual XPs, also being a laptop I really doubt that it can handle a Core 2 Duo that was meant for a desktop PC, looking up your model it only came with Penryn laptop CPUs.
m
l
August 25, 2010 6:12:19 AM

mister g said:
No clue, why do you need 8 virtual XPs, also being a laptop I really doubt that it can handle a Core 2 Duo that was meant for a desktop PC, looking up your model it only came with Penryn laptop CPUs.

Thanks for your reply. I purchased the Dell a year ago on their refurbished site. When I purchased it I was still doing some heavy graphics and photoshop work. I think this was a special order and then maybe returned? I love it.

The reson for the 8 virtuals is that I do biofeedback work and have clients in many other states and work on them through "sub-space" with great results. I have 12 desktops in my office at home. It is much easier to work on eight people on one laptop in my den for example, then on 12 different boxes in my office... as I can take my laptop whereever I go... and do. I will go to a client's home and work on both husband and wife at the same time, on 2 separate computers - sorta.

I have backed up my system and plan to remove a lot of graphical/photo files in hopes this helps a bit. I'm also thinking that the Vista on the 'mother' computer may not mesh well with 8 XP virtuals????
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 11:31:37 AM

How are other softwares performing on your laptop? are they slow too ?
Also how much free space do you have on the drive which this app is installed ? (you mentioned 88GB/400GB, is that a single drive? )
m
l
August 25, 2010 4:10:19 PM

Everything else seems pretty snappy.
-8GB RAM (2x4, 800MHz, DDR2)
-64 bit OS
-Intel Core 2 Extreme CPU Q9300 @ 2.53GHz (In my Device Manager/Processors, it lists this 4 times)
-Single hard drive, partitioned: C = 295GB with 96GB free. D = recovery = 2GB with 800 MB free
- I can't find where it tells me what graphic card I have. I'm pretty sure it's fairly poweful.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 5:59:43 PM

And on what partition is 8 XP virtuals installed ?
Also try disabling Windows Aero and see if it helps
m
l
August 25, 2010 7:20:53 PM

They are on C, on the desktop.
This may be important... When the guys came into town (from Florida to us in Arizona) to load virtuals, I had the laptop I usually use (dedicated) to do my biofeedback. It is a Windows based Mac Book (old) with only 1GB RAM (!) and not a lot of memory either. I wanted to load 6 virtuals on that box but he could only get 2 on. So I took the stick home and loaded them on the Dell. When the virtuals come up on the Dell they show the desktop for the Apple. Could there be some antagonism between the Apple Win XP and the Dell Win Vista????

BTW - what does "disabling Windows Aero" mean?? I'll google it.
m
l
September 1, 2010 2:04:10 AM

I'm in the middle of moving and won't be settled for about a week. I will try this and get back atcha. Thanks.
m
l
!