Amd Phenom 2 940 Blackedition Heatsink

donald7777

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Hello, I am looking for either a free or very cheap or pay only shipping for heatsink for this processor. The one I have now is not working correctly, but letting it idle at 70C and it shutdown when I try and do anything.

I never receved a heatsink with this processor when i purchased it.

I have reapplied the Arctic silver 5 3 times, a drop a little larger than a piece of rice and spread it with a credit card.

I really need a heatsink, I am trying to do my school work and my comp is useless.

It took me over 7 months to save up for this processor on Newegg.

Thank you.

You should check that the Heat sink is securly attached, also does the heat sink fan spin?

donald7777

Distinguished
May 24, 2007

Fan is spinning with the exhaust to the rear case fans.

I even attached a 120mm dc fan that runs at 3800 rpm on the heatsink.

The heasink has 4 heatpipes that are burningly hot (found out the hardway) but the fins are cold.

Well something is definitely wrong. If you are certain of your installation and Thermal paste then you should get something else right away as you've surmised.

That is a 125W CPU so a $10 HSF is not likely to do you much good. I recommend you look at the Arctic cooler 7 pro at the minimum, but in your shoes I would get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

It is an excellent cooler, especially for $30. I hope you will give this serious consideration.

One more thought, is the X4 940 on your motherboard's approved list?

axipher

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
+1 to the Cooler Master 212+

I have a Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition with a 3.6 GHz overclock and when I had the stock fan that comes with that cooler installed, it was cooling it perfectly fine.

KBentley57

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Solution

hemmi

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
btw, what temps are you getting?.
I have same cpu with Arctic Freezer Pro heatsink. Temps are around 36degC.

That heatsink you have should cool it unless maybe the tubes have broke their seal and leaked it's contents. weird.

donald7777

Distinguished
May 24, 2007

It idles around 70C overheats and shutdown at 120C with load.

shade963

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
I have the stock heatsink/fan that came with my amd phenom II x4 970 (i got that cooler master and it works great) idk if it would fit but i'd guess it would since they're both am3. send me a pm if you're sure the after-market cooler you got is the problem and you're still looking for a stock one

it sounds like maybe you're heatsink isn't making a good connection though if putting your comp on its side works better. not sure why tho, maybe that brand/model just sucks. i'm sure its been said in this thread but double check that everything is secured tightly and all the components are in the right place. originally i installed the back plate backwards on the back of the mobo cause it goes one way for intel and the other way for amd.