Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU Overheating?

Last response: in CPUs
December 21, 2010 8:39:58 PM

Hi, I have had this processor for about a month now (AMD Phenom X4 965BE) . And I've noticed that its getting up to like 59C in game. The max temp for this processor is 61C. I still have the stock cooler on it, which is VERY loud. I thought maybe it wasn't seated correctly, so I re-seated it. I really don't think that is it considering it is an AMD CPU and its hard to not get it seated correctly with the locking arm mechanism. I have two questions. Is 59C under-load to hot, and can it harm my CPU? And I'm thinking that I will need a new cooler because this stock cooler just isn't doing the job, what is a good cooler (without spending an arm and a leg) that will keep this baby at a decent temp? Maybe I think its running to hot because I'm so used to my X4 2.6 running @ 45C-50C in game....

BTW, I am VERY happy with this CPU and would recommend it to anyone on a budget.

Thanks in advance people. Toms Hardware is my go-to source for any problems I've faced. I also recommend this site to anyone with PC problems. Excellent service.

More about : cpu overheating

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 21, 2010 9:43:44 PM

59C under load is fine with stock.

CM Hyper 212+ will cool it down and be quieter.

This will help fitting - http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html...
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2010 2:50:52 AM

If you don't care, what are your ambient temps? (in both F and C for others). It may be that the cooler is doing as much as it can in a warm environment. Try to cool the room down if you can. Open a window, or move the pc out of its current spot for a while to see if airflow makes a difference.

It's winter in US (forgive me if your from somewhere else!), and I've shut the heat off to my "computer room". I keep it running boinc, and with a window cracked, it actually keeps the room at a normal temperature. They can crank out the heat during games and what not.

I have a 955 C2, OC'd to 3.8 GHz. So I would imagine my CPU gets slightly hotter than yours. I used to have an arctic cooler freezer pro 7 that worked just fine. they are about 30 bucks on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
Related resources
January 1, 2011 7:10:19 PM

Best answer selected by InTents.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2011 8:09:40 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!