Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Application installations on SSD vs HDD

Last response: in Storage
January 4, 2013 7:57:30 PM

Hi.
I installed Win 7 on my ssd. Also installed some apps (firefox, chrome, norton, etc.). I have tons of room for more programs on the ssd, but want to know the relationship between the ssd and hdd in terms of file sharing:

Can I install MS Office (2007!) on the ssd and then save word or excel files on the hdd? Or should I install Office on the hdd? But that way I think there may be short coming in terms of interactions between Program Files, P.File (X86), Pr. data, App data, etc. Therefore, will my first question be possible?

Thank you.

Samsung 840 250gb ssd - WD Cav Black 2TB hdd - Gigabyte GAZ77X-UD3H - Gigabyte GTX 660 OC - i5 3570K - CM Storm Enforcer - Corsair Vengeance 1333mhz 2X4gb - Corsair GS700 700W - Win 7 home premium -

Best solution

a c 85 G Storage
January 4, 2013 8:25:02 PM

Most only install applications to the SSD that really require the speed of the SSD. Filling a 250GB SSD can happen faster than you might think. For apps like MS Office, I would recommend installing those on the HDD. Windows will have no issue finding the applications.

To answer your question able locations of saving files, you can save them anywhere you want. Keep in mind that the default Windows libraries are stored in your profile on the same drive Windows is installed on (in your case the SSD) and it really doesn't matter if Office (for example) is not.
a b G Storage
January 4, 2013 8:33:31 PM

Keep in mind that any applications that you install onto the HDD will still need to be reinstalled if you ever decide or need to reinstall Windows.
There are some ways to get around this, but it is generally not advised to use them.
January 6, 2013 2:57:55 PM

Best answer selected by xerxesaria.
!