Sign in with
Your question

Using an AMD X4 620, thinking about the AMD Phenom X4 9850

Last response: in CPUs
December 21, 2010 10:12:07 PM

I saw a good deal on the AMD Phenom X4 9850 for $59.00 and was wondering if it is worth upgrading from my X4 620 that I am using right now? I use it for everyday task, some photoshop and little things, but nothing major.
Thanks in advance
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 21, 2010 11:05:16 PM

Agreed. The 9850 is not a chip for you.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2010 2:40:42 AM

+1 to these two, it would be a horrendous downgrade from what you have.
a c 101 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 22, 2010 11:02:54 AM

Another +1 just in case your not sure
December 23, 2010 10:17:57 PM

thank you, what about the Phenom II 555? It is on boxing day for $99
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2010 11:30:42 PM

netrate said:
thank you, what about the Phenom II 555? It is on boxing day for $99

The phenom II x2 555 has the 2 core run at a slightly higher GHz, but your losing 2 cores (can be unlocked to 4 cores but it doesn't alway happen). In my option that more or less of a downgrade than an upgrade but It will depend on the apps you're using if it's a better cpu or not.

Although in long term, your athlon ii x4 should be just fine for what your doing.
a c 123 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 23, 2010 11:36:00 PM

Phenom II will be faster in single and dual threaded apps but in anything that can use more than 2 cores, the Athlon II X4 will be. Here is a comparison between your current CPU and the Phenom II X2 555:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-cpu-charts-2...

The one upside though to the Phenom II X2 is that you can possibly unlock the other two cores. But its a luck of the draw thing. It could not unlock or it could unlock and be highly unstable. Or it could unlock and seem stable but slowly corrupt data. Then the last part is it could just unlock and be stable. Its hard to say what will happen.
December 25, 2010 6:42:38 PM

I see, thanks for the links. What would be the next step up for me then? Everything seems to break the bank from here up...
a c 123 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 27, 2010 12:45:36 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That would be the next step up. Because you have a quad core, you want to go quad or higher.

problem is that its not enough of a jump in performance to justify it.

If I were you, I would just save some money on the side until later next year when Intel and AMD will be pushing out new CPUs. Intels will hit in January and AMD, well no one knows for sure. Some say Q2 2011 others say Q32011. So either June or September of next year.

Either way it should drive the prices of current CPUs down, I know Intels new CPU will, so you can either get a new one or just build a new system.
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2010 1:22:02 AM

^+1 I would tend to agree with jimmysmitty.When Intel releases their new Sandy Bridge CPU's next month it will cause AMD to drive down their CPU prices so as to be competitive at their price point vs performance.We could possibly see Phenom X4's like the 955 BE,965 BE at under the $100 USD mark in a couple of months.When Bulldozer hits the 955 BE,965 BE,970BE and even the Phenom X6's could be at very low prices just for clearance purposes.
If you want to get one of these better performing CPU's just wait for a couple of months from now or wait until Bulldozer comes out as they could end up as sub $75 CPU's worthwhile to upgrade an older AMD based system.
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2010 2:49:28 AM

jimmysmitty said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That would be the next step up. Because you have a quad core, you want to go quad or higher.

problem is that its not enough of a jump in performance to justify it.

If I were you, I would just save some money on the side until later next year when Intel and AMD will be pushing out new CPUs. Intels will hit in January and AMD, well no one knows for sure. Some say Q2 2011 others say Q32011. So either June or September of next year.

Either way it should drive the prices of current CPUs down, I know Intels new CPU will, so you can either get a new one or just build a new system.

Agree.
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2010 3:30:11 AM

Thing is, Phenom I technically beats the Athlon II X4, only problem is the fact it doesn't scale (clockspeed wise) at all.

There are some OEM Phenom II X4s floating around for $99 you know.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 27, 2010 3:43:41 AM

Quote:
Thing is, Phenom I technically beats the Athlon II X4

Since when? I'm not sure the PhI is even faster C4C.
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2010 3:57:13 AM

That is, clock for clock.
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2010 12:57:35 AM

Thing is, he'd have to buy a new motherboard to go with it.

Simply put, nothing is worth upgrading to.

Not point spending hundreds for marginal increases.

Buying a Phenom II X4 is a very minor increase in speed. Phenom II X6? Photoshop doesn't scale that well, and you'd be better going with Intel.

Just wait.
a c 123 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 28, 2010 4:55:40 PM

Quote:
^ You happen to be Jennyh ?

@OP, no, no, no, .
Like I said before, the lowest end Athlon II would perform on par with the top end Phenom 1,

Fan Girl is by no means jennyh. Trust me. Two completley different peronalities.

Plus Fan Girl is not really just AMD. She prefers the best CPU that can be downclocked to save energy. jennyh says that AMD is best at everything no matter what.
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2010 1:41:03 AM

Performance per watt. :) 

Besides, I predate JennyH. Gee, I do sound old don't I?
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2010 1:51:59 AM

amdfangirl said:
Performance per watt. :) 

Besides, I predate JennyH. Gee, I do sound old don't I?

Na. it just means your getting younger. :lol: 
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2010 1:59:41 AM

For all you know I could be a spy from the FBI :p .
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2010 2:06:46 AM

amdfangirl said:
For all you know I could be a spy from the FBI :p .

Well, then you should be able to find me very quickly as i am on a Military base. :p 
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2010 2:11:13 AM

warmon6 said:
Well, then you should be able to find me very quickly as i am on a Military base. :p 

Well I'm doing my best to stay away from the WTF taskforce.

I hear it's really random.
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2010 2:16:05 AM

amdfangirl said:
Well I'm doing my best to stay away from the WTF taskforce.

I hear it's really random.

Sorry you walked into the wrong agency. Thats CIA. not FBI. Please walk 2 blocks down to find your building. :kaola: 

although the WTF, i told my family about that and we were all doing this. [:badge:3]
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2010 6:09:54 AM

warmon6 said:
Sorry you walked into the wrong agency. Thats CIA. not FBI. Please walk 2 blocks down to find your building. :kaola: 

although the WTF, i told my family about that and we were all doing this. [:badge:3]

I know.

FBI = Fudge Brownie Investigator (Division).

If anyone knows who stole the cookies from the cookie jar, there's a $1.50 bounty.
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2010 1:11:51 PM

for the love, lock this thread. I'm tired of it showing up in my box!
a c 134 à CPUs
a b À AMD
December 29, 2010 11:24:11 PM

Evena phenom IIx4 wouldn't be worth the price of the upgrade clock for clock so the best recourse is to wait and until then overclock your cpu a little.
February 2, 2011 12:24:45 PM

Saw this : only $139.00 - my system is just getting too slow for me...

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Will this be a better chipset than my X4 620 -- for increased speed...
a c 101 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 2, 2011 8:13:31 PM

How about an SSD or RAM upgrade. What exactly runs too slow and what are your full specs?
!