Graphics card price devaluation?

Rodmantis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Ok, graphic cards prices devaluate over time. But since it's prices drop progressively, I sometimes forget how much the original price was. I was wondering if somebody could make a list or an approximate of the devaluation price history of some mid-high end cards. For example, I would like to know how much was the 4870, the gtx 260, the 8800 gtx originally, how many times approx. do they devaluate. (do they go from 300 to 150 or do they cut prices four times in between)?. I would like to know detailed information, but simple facts would also satisfy.

Thanks

Solution
The 4870 was 299 at launch, the 4850 199.
These cards came out after the gtx 260 launch which was priced very high , don't know the exact msrp, but it was about 400.00+ dollars.
In response to ATI launching less expensive cards, Nvidia almost immediately dropped prices.
Those early adopters were angered.
Your not going to be able to plot price devaluation, its a fluid situation based on many things.

edit: UPDATED

Ultimately those estimates from January 2008 were way off: the Radeon 4850 was priced like an 8800 GT, but actually outperforms the bone stock GeForce 9800 GTX in most cases, while the Radeon 4870 is more of a competitor for the GeForce GTX 260 than anything else NVIDIA offers while boasting a $300 price tag.

As this...
The prices will usually fluctuate depending on the performance of the card and the competition that it has in the surrounding price ranges - so really hard to give an accurate devaluation of them (for example the 4870 really stayed in its price range for quite awhile and never really dropped because it's performance level was at or slightly better than it's replacement card (5770) and there was nothing comparable from Nvidia in that price\performance range and the price actually rose instead of dropping when ATI made it EOL and the supply did not match the demand for it)

notty22

Distinguished
The 4870 was 299 at launch, the 4850 199.
These cards came out after the gtx 260 launch which was priced very high , don't know the exact msrp, but it was about 400.00+ dollars.
In response to ATI launching less expensive cards, Nvidia almost immediately dropped prices.
Those early adopters were angered.
Your not going to be able to plot price devaluation, its a fluid situation based on many things.

edit: UPDATED

Ultimately those estimates from January 2008 were way off: the Radeon 4850 was priced like an 8800 GT, but actually outperforms the bone stock GeForce 9800 GTX in most cases, while the Radeon 4870 is more of a competitor for the GeForce GTX 260 than anything else NVIDIA offers while boasting a $300 price tag.

As this became more apparent NVIDIA was forced to respond. The MSRP of the GeForce GTX 260 went from $450 ahead of the GTX launch to $400 on launch day. Then over the July 4th holiday NVIDIA cut GTX 260 prices again, with the GPU falling to $300-$330. Today GeForce GTX 260 cards can now be found selling online for less than $250 after rebate. Meanwhile the GeForce GTX 280 went from $650 on launch day to less than $400 after rebate today. http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_gtx_260_216shader/

Solution
Prices can fluctuate based on performance as well as supply and demand.

For example, the HD 5850 official price was $259. However due to supply and demand the price has steadily increased. AMD stated that due to lower than expected yields, the price will increase to $279 (the price I bought mine at). In actuality, the price of the HD 5850 has soared beyond $300 due to demand and no competition from nVidia.

The price for standard reference HD 5850's has come down a bit since it peaked around $330 to as low as $290 excluding any sale promotions (OC'ed and "special" versions still come at $320+). However, the HD 5850s are still above both the original and adjusted MSRP.

Will the HD 5850's come down further in price? Yes, when the HD 6xxx series is about to be released. nVidia's newly released GTX 4xx series did not have much impact on the HD 5850's price.

What's the point of this? Past experience will not always apply to current or future situations.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

Nvidia drastically lowered GTX260 prices after the HD4870 launch.