Gtx480 or ati 5970 for the future

prolymphocyte

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Hey guys, if you were to build a new rig right now which graphics card would you choose 480 or 5970? I know nvidia tessellation is better then ati but then again not many games use it and i dont have a crystal ball to predict if it would be popular in the future. So can you help me choose.

Cheers

prolymphocyte

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
lol i dont know is it worth it? if down the line i plan on adding a 5970 or a 480 which one will scale better?from what ive read nvidia scales better then ati and i dont know how good their drivers are for quad crossfire.why is this so difficult to choose lol

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
GTX480 is really a horrible product which tends to only appeal to fans.

The 5970 is the king of the hill right now and really appeals to the enthusiast crowd.

The GTX460 is all the rage right now and for good reason.

But overall, I'd state that if you're looking to purchase a GTX 480 or a 5970... I'd wait till October. We're mid August right now and AMDs new GPUs are said to be announced in October (around two months from now to be exact).

Worth the wait.

The GTX 480is not a horrible product, it just consumes more power and generates more heat than most.

The 5970 is king of the hill and for $700 it should be. However, lately the ATI drivers have given alot of people some headache. I've never had issues with nvidia drivers like ATI.

The GTX460 is an amazing card, but is a midrange gamer Sounds like he wants highend.

If you need more than a 5970 I would sell it and by the next best card at the time. I personally try to deter from using 2 cards. There are always inherent issues in a dual card setup. Namely heat.

prolymphocyte

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
thank you all for the great answers!The thing is i have been putting this build on hold for some time now:) First I was like yes il wait till the 950 drops in price and now i guess i have to wait a little longer:(For me it makes sense to buy a high end card from the get go and later add another one.

Thanks again