Sign in with
Your question

WD 5400 hd causing all my micro stutter freezing in games?

Last response: in Storage
January 4, 2013 9:00:30 PM

Hello,
Here is my system specs
Alienware m17x r4
12 gb ram
750 gb Seagate 7200 rpm
1tb Western Digital 5400 rpm
ATI 7970 2gb
Hear goes my story please read..
I brought the rig with just the Seagate drive and decided to add-on the 1 TB for more space to install the games too. Well for most part games ran great. However i noticed a small stutter sometimes on many games, when things involved a random sound, i thought it was sound issue/ incompatibility game issue. I tried everything until recently i decided to replay Skyrim, older game by most and it still stuttered occasionally when i would guess something unexpected would happen, like random speech.

So i tried a test, installed copy on Seagate drive and a copy of Skyrim on my WD drive and guess what, the copy on the Seagate drive never stutters, runs smoothly as opposed to the wd drive. I am now in the process of trying other games that stuttered.

My question is i guess why is this? Does the 5400 to 7200 really make that much of difference? I suspect it has something to do with WD not spinning at full speed or even powering down. I guess i just want to know before i order another Seagate.

Thank for any insight you can offer
January 13, 2013 8:14:36 PM

From the looks of it, it probably is just the rpm difference that's causing the problems. Larger, slower disks for storage are ok because they don't get accessed a lot, but system hdd's and game hdd's really need the faster speeds. Hope this helps.
m
l
!