Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION first build question....

Last response: in Motherboards
August 18, 2011 2:19:35 AM

First build tonight and I need some help.

Which PCIe slot should I use for the video card. Top slot is a little close to the CPU Cooler so I was thinking of using the 3 slot.

Does anyone know if this would work out alright?

Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2011 9:11:07 AM

Usually it works best in the first slot. It should say where a single card should go in the manual. (I couldn't find the manual on asus' website.)
m
l
August 18, 2011 10:41:24 PM

I read the manual and it says that slots 1 and 3 are PCIe x16 slots.

Does this mean that I can use the 3rd slot for my GPU and have it work the same as if it were in the first slot?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2011 11:04:07 PM

I have an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO motherboard, so it's not really the same, obviously. However there's a section in my manual with a chart that tells me exactly how to place the cards in both a single and dual card configuration. There's also a note that says "In single VGA card mode, use the PCIe 2.0 x16_slot (navy blue) for a PCI Express x16 graphics card to get better performance." Even though two of my slots are x16 ASUS still recommends that I use the top one when I'm just using one card. If you can't find anything like that in the manual then you should call or email ASUS. I've used their phone support several times and they've all been good experiences.
August 18, 2011 11:10:59 PM

Best answer selected by vollman1.
m
l
August 18, 2011 11:25:53 PM

Called ASUS and they said that although they recommend using the first slot, both will work the same. So I can use the third slot and give my CPU a little more room for air flow.

Thanks for the help. Should have tried ASUS first >.<
m
l
!