Seagate stca4000100 help

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I just got 2 Seagate 4TB model stca4000100, they DO work as intended....
But I bought this to use as internal drives, problem is that I can't see how to open the case they came in. :(

I have opened other brand external drives and use them as internal drives before, so I thought it would simple.

apparently I'm missing something.

Help please. :??:

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
anyone?
:(

I'm transferring at the "blazing speed" of 18MB /s
it is so s_l_o_w

and I have a lot to transfer.... I'm also certain that speed would be so much better if I could open the external enclosure and use the drives as internal drives as intended.

CiscoR3

Honorable
May 26, 2012
I have the same 4TB HARD DRIVE I had the same issue with slow transfer speed on a 3tb Seagate goflex external. I reformatted the hard drive and got blazing fast speed. Not sure why but was getting 16mb speeds before and was getting hot. Now I get 138mb speed and runs cooler.

David Forrest

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
The drive casing is fairly easy to open, depending on whether or not you intend to reuse the case. If you don't, just grab a screwdriver and pry the sides apart. If you do, carefully remove the center light gray trim, then carefully pry the two sides apart. There is a small plastic lip on one side of the case, but not the other. Use something non-damaging, like a heavy guitar pick, that is sturdy but won't break/crack the plastic. There are about four plastic tabs down the front and about three on the top and bottom that hold the side of the case on. I broke two of the tabs removing my drive, but the drive still clicks together securely.

On a related note, I ordered two of these drives, and received them yesterday. I opened the cases and verified that the internal drive is the Seagate ST4000DM000, which is a 7200-rpm, 64MB cache drive. VERY fast.

grandpixel

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

Correction, ST4000DM000 is newer model 5900 RPM drive, 4x1GB platters. The 7200 RPM drive is older ST4000DX000, 5x800MB platters. The "M" drive is only slightly slower (lower rpm but higher density platters), but runs much cooler and likely more reliable.

Apparently this STCA4000100 external drive has been shipped with either one. I don't know if all currently shipping are newer M drives, one could assume unless there is old stock out there, or maybe Seagate still has some X models to sell. I came across this because there is currently a sale on the STCA4000100. Hope this is helpful to someone.