Sign in with
Your question

Why cant I ping my own ip address request timed out

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 26, 2010 11:55:00 AM

To begin with I would like to mention that I do not know about the technical workings of computers so please keep all answers in terms even I can understand! :lol:  That being said here is my problem. Since about 2 wks ago I started experiencing problems accessing a certain website. Previously I did not have any problems. The website is www.Jango.com. If I try to log in I get the message 'tcp error, a communication error occurred operation time out. The website might be to busy or experiencing other problems to carry out your request, you migt want to try at a later stage" I have tried numerous time without success. Other websites are working fine. A friend said I should ping this site and I did and got "request timed out" I also get the same respons if I ping my own IP address. This is very frustating, please help! :bounce: 
July 27, 2010 2:25:14 AM

wilma1200 said:
To begin with I would like to mention that I do not know about the technical workings of computers so please keep all answers in terms even I can understand! :lol:  That being said here is my problem. Since about 2 wks ago I started experiencing problems accessing a certain website. Previously I did not have any problems. The website is www.Jango.com. If I try to log in I get the message 'tcp error, a communication error occurred operation time out. The website might be to busy or experiencing other problems to carry out your request, you migt want to try at a later stage" I have tried numerous time without success. Other websites are working fine. A friend said I should ping this site and I did and got "request timed out" I also get the same respons if I ping my own IP address. This is very frustating, please help! :bounce: 

If that's the oly problem site you have, it's more likely to be them than you - particularly as people would be downloading music from it. It would need more capacity than it has at the moment, I suspect. You might have more luck at a different time of day - I just got straight through from here in the UK where it's the middle of the night and not may users would be about. As to pinging your own IP, where did you find it?

July 27, 2010 6:54:52 PM

+1^
Busy site.
Pinging your own computer is like trying to call yourself on the telephone. You have to hang the phone up first.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 28, 2010 5:41:45 PM

Thank you for the reply. So it seems I have to keep on trying. As for pinging my own ip address, I did it from a different computer, not my own one! Thanx again!
July 28, 2010 6:44:03 PM

Then ping should have worked. The site opened fine for me. Doe anyone else you know have trouble accessing site?
There are other possibilites, Web sites can block IP addresses. Your internet service provider can block access to sites. Internet explorer can be set up to block sties. as well as anti virus software. You could have picked up some malware which could block some web sites.
As Saga lout mentioned. Where did you, or how did you get your IP address ?
!