I have XP pro sp2, with a history of spyware which is currently resolved.

Now, the WMI service, Windows Firewall service and the event log service,
all set to start automatically, won't start. the error message is that the
dependency failed

I can't uninstall SP2 (file missing) or reinstall over top of SP2. Every
known spyware program has been run, and everything is now coming up clean.
Is there anything short of a complete rebuild that I can do to get this fixed?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Hi Jim

From Start>Run type

services.msc

then for each Service that won't run, right click it and select
Properties>Dependecies. Make sure that the Services listed in the top
pane - 'This Service depends on the following system components - are
running.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"carnivorousapetrick" <carnivorousapetrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:D83C3AC6-6031-48E9-ACC7-07F37962A7AA@microsoft.com...
>I have XP pro sp2, with a history of spyware which is currently resolved.
>
> Now, the WMI service, Windows Firewall service and the event log service,
> all set to start automatically, won't start. the error message is that
> the
> dependency failed
>
> I can't uninstall SP2 (file missing) or reinstall over top of SP2. Every
> known spyware program has been run, and everything is now coming up clean.
> Is there anything short of a complete rebuild that I can do to get this
> fixed?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Jim

Will--

Thanks for the quick reply. When I try to view the dependencies, I get the
same error message that they have failed, and the window is empty.

Jim

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi Jim
>
> From Start>Run type
>
> services.msc
>
> then for each Service that won't run, right click it and select
> Properties>Dependecies. Make sure that the Services listed in the top
> pane - 'This Service depends on the following system components - are
> running.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "carnivorousapetrick" <carnivorousapetrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:D83C3AC6-6031-48E9-ACC7-07F37962A7AA@microsoft.com...
> >I have XP pro sp2, with a history of spyware which is currently resolved.
> >
> > Now, the WMI service, Windows Firewall service and the event log service,
> > all set to start automatically, won't start. the error message is that
> > the
> > dependency failed
> >
> > I can't uninstall SP2 (file missing) or reinstall over top of SP2. Every
> > known spyware program has been run, and everything is now coming up clean.
> > Is there anything short of a complete rebuild that I can do to get this
> > fixed?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Jim

Hi Jim

You may have to check the Services listed in the top pane as well. I have
to do it here on a Thinkpad every now and again, and it does take some time.
About what % of the Services are 'disabled'?

--

in message news:2E04FFC9-FE5B-4D43-ABFA-21FD063A8219@microsoft.com...