The Expensive vs Budget Cases

Expensive or Budget case

• Budget

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • Expensive

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters
Depends on the build and system components - most of the more expensive cases use a bit sturdier parts and have a better airflow design than the budget cases but there are exceptions (ie. some of the expensive cases are poor quality as well and some cheap cases are well built) - so it is more a matter of what the system will be used for than the cost of the case as well as the dimensions of the various compartments- ie. length and number of video cards that can be used, number of front and rear panel slots, PSU size and placement (if it is going to be placed on the floor you don't really want a bottom mount for the PSU), etc.

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Need good air flow... you NEED it. You might not think you will right now, but in the future if you start adding extra cards, or overclocking, then it's going to come into play.

Size, definantly want the biggest possible case... more room to work with for bigger things, easier navigating, more room for more STUFF!

Cheap cases that look good tend to be made of lower grade materials, or just cheaper made. Like side panels that crack easy, or front doors that fall off...

But if you're on a budget, and you have a computer desk that you're wanting to tuck it away in where it'll never be seen again... then a cheap metal box would be fine. Just make sure there is some cooling or ventilation in there.

Look up something like this: http://www.amazon.com/CabCool-Lite-Cooling-Cabinet-Theaters/dp/B001NJ4J6I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1279291860&sr=8-2 if you plan on enclosing the case.. I installed that into the back of a cabinet for my PS3 so I could tuck it away and its turned oven into closet.

Set prices that you consider to be budget and that you consider to be expensive.
Decide.

Well, if budget is $0-100, then of course I will choose budget. You can get some really good quality cases for $80-100

elivance

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
There just isn't enough here to answer the question. I don't think of the parts I buy as being "budget" or "expensive". I set a budget, and I make sure I get the best damn product I can for that budget. I never would want to buy a junk part, but that doesn't mean I only buy expensive things.

I'm not sure how to answer. I mean, my new PC uses an Antec 902 case which I really love. Great airflow, looks awesome, plenty of room for my components. And it was fairly cheap, I think I got it for $120 or something. The Antec 300 is very good as well and much cheaper, but still has great airflow. As for quality, I feel that my 902 is of superb quality. Metal frame, some plastic bits (I think the top is a plastic mould, as well as the rounded edges on the front) but overall it's quite excellent. And if you need to go big, the Antec 1200 is fairly reasonably priced as well.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Its impossible to categorically do so without talking into consideration factors such as room for expansion cards, air-flow (necessary for overclocking), liquid cooling feasibility, overall build, & style.
You'll have to narrow down your poll.

ares1214

Splendid
this makes absolutely no sense. Does the HAF 922 count as a budget case? cases arent about price, its about value. like cases with good value are the CM 690II Black, the NZXT Tempest Evo, HAF 922, HAF 932, CM Storm Sniper BE, CM Storm Scout, Antec 902, Antec 300 Illusion, so on...you cant just put them in categories, some are better value based on a certain budget.

AMW1011

Distinguished
For the following post I'm going by this guide to budget and expensive:

Budget:
$100 or less

Expensive:
$100 or more

The thing about the budget price point is that you are going to get pretty good performance and features. The Cooler Master HAF 922 has very good cooling for example. The Lian Li PC-k62 has some of greatest features of any case on the market and retains great quality. So as you can see, a budget case is not a bad thing.

However, I have a general rule; you should only have to buy one case, or at least one that will last you many years and upgrades. A case is more than a box with fans, it is an object in your household that conveys a message to others and to yourself. While I feel there is nothing wrong with flashy lights accents, there is a limit as well.

A case should also have the features you need. If you are watercooling, then don't buy an Antec 900 and expect to be able to bolt in some radiators, it won't happen. If you keep your case on at night in your bedroom then LED fans with high RPMs aren't for you. If you carry your case to LAN parties a lot then a large steel full tower isn't going to be fun to carry around. These are just some examples.

Lastly, a case is important because you are CREATING the PC inside it. You pick out the case, and the parts there in. It is your creation and you should customize it and personalize it the way you see fit. A case should reflect you and it should be something your proud of, because it takes a lot of knowledge and time to pick out the right parts while putting them together responsibly and keep that computer running efficiently and correctly. The case is the most noticeable part of your construction.

This is where the debate becomes difficult between a budget case and a higher end case. The thing is I don't think you should ignore the budget sector, nor should you rule out the higher end segment if you can, find the case you want and get the damn thing. I bought my first Silverstone TJ07 when I was 15-16 years old with 2 minimum wage jobs a car payment and high school. It wasn't easy to come up with the $320 + shipping that I paid, but I scraped it together (I don't recommend doing this however :))

This is your hobby, enjoy it or find a cheaper one, though it isn't that expensive of a hobby if you are smart about it.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
where's the option for those of us who like to build our own ;)

i used the old dell xps backplate, and the power/restart buttons, then some other friends junck cases took thie front usb ports ton integrate with mine, little bit o pine, some screws, plexiglass and a couple cheap fans on newegg plus a dremel equals cheap and origional case :D

bpladirector

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I agree with Goofy.

I just recently bought a Haf 932 (great case) but I think a homemade case could be good too. If I made my own case I would make it larger than a typical full tower. I don't like the idea of paying for a case that comes with fans (I would rather buy good fans than have fans included in price that go unused).

I have not seen a dedicated community to making cases. Is there such a community? I have seen some stuff on www.instructables.com (such as homemade watercooling)

AMW1011

Distinguished
I was kind of leaving that out because it has little to do with budgets or expenses, but I think the ultimate use of a case is modification. You personalize the case to be unique and tailored to your uses and preferences.

I applaud anyone who modifies their case, I sure as hell wouldn't keep my car completely stock (no ricer mods though!). Even if the modification is small and subtle, like my aftermarket headlights and taillights on my car, it still is personalization.

RobBosman

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I currently got a rather expensive case: a lian li pc-p80 black armorsuit gaming case.
At the moment that case in being sold for about 300 US$ over here (the Netherlands).
Of course that would have been cheaper cases that are also very sufficient, but I got a motherboard that supports up to 4 way SLI/XFire so needed a huge case.
This one is huge indeed, got a some nice fans in it who keep the case cool (3 at the front, 1 exchaust at the top and one exchaust at the back), it got a hard drive cage in it, plenty of room for optical drives, no sharp corners or anything. The motherboard plate can be removed which I think is a big plus. And on top of that I like the thight all black design. All together I think it's a great case and gladly pay this amount again for a future case.

I posted some pics after the spoiler for those who like to have a look.

24249_381065977404_510297404_3820459_5427094_n.jpg

24249_381065987404_510297404_3820460_1935973_n.jpg

24249_381065997404_510297404_3820461_1812353_n.jpg

24249_381066002404_510297404_3820462_503185_n.jpg

24249_381066012404_510297404_3820463_7767906_n.jpg

24029_381615292404_510297404_3831878_7872555_n.jpg

Mind you, this was just to test if everything worked, didn't keep the cables just hanging there.... :lol:

24029_381615317404_510297404_3831883_3807440_n.jpg

The topic and the options (specially) need refinement.. Case buying is a perspective decision most of the times.. Its a one time purchase with majority of the buyers so everyone would like to purchase something which caters to their taste.. I personally do not try to compromise on a case over a video card or other hardware as the case is going to be a more permanent feature compared to even the PSU.. You get what you pay for.. So, a CM 690 II Advanced may give you all the required functionality but it wont give you the quality of a Lian-Li..

AMW1011

Distinguished

Such a great case, hope you enjoy it.

Very well said, I agree completely.

TRENDING THREADS