Closed Solved

Need to Search Windows Folder - Guru Needed

Wife's 64 bit HP desktop crashed. Dual boot linux Ubuntu 11.10 / Win 7.
After reinstalling Win 7, our Belkin g usb wireless adapter not working. (f5d7050)
Cannot find driver for it anywhere that works. Hangs up Windows.
What I need to know - I have a backup copy of the WINDOWS folder from before the crash.

Is there any way to determine what driver was used for this adapter?

Still works great in the linux but not Windows.

OR: Maybe I have a usable entry from SYSTEM RESTORE in this old "WINDOWS" folder that I could use.?
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need search windows folder guru needed
  1. Hello garfox;

What drivers have you tried?
    F5D7050 Wireless G USB Network Adapter - Drivers

Have you asked Windows 7 do find a driver?
    Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly
    They mention the automatic and manual methods for updating drivers.
  2. What version of the adapter do you have? http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/297/~/f5d7050-wireless-g-usb-network-adapter---drivers The first 2 don't have 7 drivers.

If you extract the driver files from the download, you can see what files it has, it should have an .ini and/or a .inf file. That file would have the exact version of the driver in plain text. See if you can find that same file in the old directory.
  3. WR2 said:
    Hello garfox;

What drivers have you tried?
    F5D7050 Wireless G USB Network Adapter - Drivers

Have you asked Windows 7 do find a driver?
    Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly
    They mention the automatic and manual methods for updating drivers.

Thanks. Ive tried v1 thru v5 - wont install correctly - The driver that win 7 installed is the one that locks up the system
  4. hang-the-9 said:
    What version of the adapter do you have? http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/297/~/f5d7050-wireless-g-usb-network-adapter---drivers The first 2 don't have 7 drivers.

If you extract the driver files from the download, you can see what files it has, it should have an .ini and/or a .inf file. That file would have the exact version of the driver in plain text. See if you can find that same file in the old directory.

Thanks downloaded driver files from belkin are in .exe installer format... how can i extract from the exe file to view plain text? can i open the exe file in an isolated folder?
  5. Install 7Zip, it does a good job of being able to extract files from .exe files.
  6. hang-the-9 said:
    Install 7Zip, it does a good job of being able to extract files from .exe files.

OK thanks much will give it a go - i will download an earlier version from belkin and see if i can come up with a style to search for....GF
  7. Best answer
    garfox said:
    Thanks. Ive tried v1 thru v5 - wont install correctly - The driver that win 7 installed is the one that locks up the system

Don't try random versions, look at your usb stick and download the exact one for your system. Then wipe out any of the old drivers and try again. Uninstall the device from device manager, then install the correct dirvers for the version of hardware you have, plug it in, see if it runs.
  8. hang-the-9 said:
    Don't try random versions, look at your usb stick and download the exact one for your system. Then wipe out any of the old drivers and try again. Uninstall the device from device manager, then install the correct dirvers for the version of hardware you have, plug it in, see if it runs.

OK thanks will try steps one more time - mebbe i messed up. All i got from 7zip extract was Russian text.
  9. Best answer selected by garfox.
  10. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7