Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need to Search Windows Folder - Guru Needed

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
November 11, 2011 12:37:27 PM

Wife's 64 bit HP desktop crashed. Dual boot linux Ubuntu 11.10 / Win 7.
After reinstalling Win 7, our Belkin g usb wireless adapter not working. (f5d7050)
Cannot find driver for it anywhere that works. Hangs up Windows.
What I need to know - I have a backup copy of the WINDOWS folder from before the crash.

Is there any way to determine what driver was used for this adapter?

Still works great in the linux but not Windows.

OR: Maybe I have a usable entry from SYSTEM RESTORE in this old "WINDOWS" folder that I could use.?
a c 353 $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 12:50:29 PM

What version of the adapter do you have? http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id... The first 2 don't have 7 drivers.

If you extract the driver files from the download, you can see what files it has, it should have an .ini and/or a .inf file. That file would have the exact version of the driver in plain text. See if you can find that same file in the old directory.
Score
Related resources
November 11, 2011 1:09:47 PM

hang-the-9 said:
What version of the adapter do you have? http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id... The first 2 don't have 7 drivers.

If you extract the driver files from the download, you can see what files it has, it should have an .ini and/or a .inf file. That file would have the exact version of the driver in plain text. See if you can find that same file in the old directory.

Thanks downloaded driver files from belkin are in .exe installer format... how can i extract from the exe file to view plain text? can i open the exe file in an isolated folder?
Score
a c 353 $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 1:12:43 PM

Install 7Zip, it does a good job of being able to extract files from .exe files.
Score
November 11, 2011 1:16:21 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Install 7Zip, it does a good job of being able to extract files from .exe files.

OK thanks much will give it a go - i will download an earlier version from belkin and see if i can come up with a style to search for....GF
Score

Best solution

a c 353 $ Windows 7
November 11, 2011 1:24:47 PM

garfox said:
Thanks. Ive tried v1 thru v5 - wont install correctly - The driver that win 7 installed is the one that locks up the system

Don't try random versions, look at your usb stick and download the exact one for your system. Then wipe out any of the old drivers and try again. Uninstall the device from device manager, then install the correct dirvers for the version of hardware you have, plug it in, see if it runs.
November 11, 2011 3:23:30 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Don't try random versions, look at your usb stick and download the exact one for your system. Then wipe out any of the old drivers and try again. Uninstall the device from device manager, then install the correct dirvers for the version of hardware you have, plug it in, see if it runs.

OK thanks will try steps one more time - mebbe i messed up. All i got from 7zip extract was Russian text.
Score
November 18, 2011 8:16:33 PM

Best answer selected by garfox.
Score
a c 395 $ Windows 7
November 18, 2011 9:00:46 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!