Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[Urgent Help Please!] Raid 0 between 2 SSDs not working (pics)

Last response: in Storage
January 5, 2013 12:32:43 PM

Hey guys...appreciate any help I can get with this annoying problem.

So I just formatted my two Crucial M4 drives (one 64GB and one 128GB). I want to combine them in Raid 0 so that I can have a ~180GB SSD drive so that I have more room for games. Otherwise the 64GB drive is pretty useless to me.

I just installed Windows on my OCZ SSD 256GB (I like to have two copies of windows on different drives - one for work and one for gaming), then I went into the bios to switch from AHCI mode to RAID mode.

So here is what I did:

I selected my drives that I wanted to make into Raid 0:

And after that I thought it was weird that the Capacity only said 119.2GB:

So I changed it manually....59.6GB + 119.2GB = 178.8GB (which is what I entered below)

I pressed confirm to create the Raid and it gave me this error:
(Not enough capacity to create volume.)

Here is the screen from my bios:

I have no idea what is going wrong here...please help me. :??: 
a b G Storage
January 5, 2013 12:38:11 PM

Well, I will suggest not doing a RAID0 because your array size will be limited to the smallest disk size (64GB), so you lose either way. Just do the best that you can do with them separate.
m
l
January 5, 2013 12:48:01 PM

cball1311 said:
Well, I will suggest not doing a RAID0 because your array size will be limited to the smallest disk size (64GB), so you lose either way. Just do the best that you can do with them separate.

So what you are telling me is that I cannot take a smaller drive and a larger drive and Raid 0 them together to have a larger drive?

I'm pretty sure that's what my dad did with two HDDs... :??: 
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 5, 2013 12:53:27 PM

True I did mistype on that. You will have a 128GB disk (forgot that drive doubles 64GBx2) but you loose out on 64GB of space.
m
l
January 5, 2013 12:55:29 PM

manofchalk said:
Nup, when RAID'ing of any type you want to use identical drives otherwise you run into issues like this.

Heres a good tutorial video on RAID 1 and 0.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYBtmVMtH1g

Ah okay, sorry for the confusion then.

When my dad explained Raid 0 to me and his set up - he made it sound like he had taken a smaller drive and a larger drive and combined them to make one larger drive. I can see that this is not possible with Raid now.

He mentioned something called JBOD that might give me the solution that I want.

Do ya happen to know about this/can ya tell me any more about it?
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
January 5, 2013 1:00:01 PM

JBOD = Just a Bunch Of Disks.
Its the same as just having both drives in the system without any RAID involved, im guessing if you have an SSD you have a storage HDD on the system? That is a JBOD configuration, where you have multiple drives on a system where they aren't linked or tied together in any way.

Basically, to set up a JBOD just connect the drives to the mobo, boot into Windows, format them and you have yourself a JBOD.
m
l
January 5, 2013 1:03:58 PM

manofchalk said:
JBOD = Just a Bunch Of Disks.
Its the same as just having both drives in the system without any RAID involved, im guessing if you have an SSD you have a storage HDD on the system? That is a JBOD configuration, where you have multiple drives on a system where they aren't linked or tied together in any way.

Basically, to set up a JBOD just connect the drives to the mobo, boot into Windows, format them and you have yourself a JBOD.

Doh :(  Okay I already have it set up that way, heh.

Sorry I am being a pain in the butt.

Let me just ask it this way plain and simple.

Is there any possible way for me to take my 64GB and 128GB SSDs and combine them into a larger drive? I already tried going into Disk Management in the Control Panel and trying to right-click -> 'Expand Volume' but the option is grayed out...
m
l
January 5, 2013 1:06:20 PM

Raid 5 is JBOD, it will do what you want.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
January 5, 2013 1:08:43 PM

All good man, better you ask here before you think its the mobo at fault and run off to buy a new one.

As far as I am aware, no.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
January 5, 2013 1:12:06 PM

daship said:

By definition a JBOD doesnt involve RAID.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBOD#JBOD

And RAID 5 requires a dedicated RAID card for halfway decent performance and still requires identical drives, like all levels of RAID.
m
l
January 5, 2013 1:12:51 PM

daship said:

From what I read that requires 3 disks, I only have two for this.

manofchalk said:
All good man, better you ask here before you think its the mobo at fault and run off to buy a new one.

As far as I am aware, no.

Well thanks for the help man, and everyone else as well. I'm really surprised there is nothing that does what I want. Guess I am all out of luck.

I guess one last thing...I remember reading about you being able to use an SSD as a 'cache' to increase speed for another drive.

Could I use my 64GB drive as a cache to increase speed for my 128GB SSD (which is where I will have my OS + games on)?
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
January 5, 2013 1:17:37 PM

Caching an SSD with an SSD is pointless, I recently answered another thread on this very subject so i'l just link to that than explain again.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/378501-31-benefit-cac...
If anything performance would decrease. Due to the technology behind SSD's, the higher capacity they are, the faster they perform.

You could cache a HDD with the SSD and see good results. Might be a good upgrade for an older system if it supports that capability.
m
l
January 5, 2013 1:21:46 PM

You are correct you would need 3 disk for raid 5.

What I would do is dump the 64G drive to a friend/family or ebay and buy a new 128 to raid with or, dump them both and buy a 256G drive.
m
l
January 5, 2013 1:34:59 PM

cball1311 said:
Here is some information on extending a basic volume to another disk using a dynamic disk setup. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771473.aspx

and setting up dynamic disks http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731274.aspx

Okay, thanks, I'll check that out.

manofchalk said:

You could cache a HDD with the SSD and see good results. Might be a good upgrade for an older system if it supports that capability.

You have all the answers, heh.

Okay, so let me ask this then.

As an aside - any chance you have ever used Steam before (because the following explanation will make a lot more sense if so)? Let me explain how I've got it set up. So, I have a 300GB partition on my 2TB HDD that I have allocated for games to be installed that aren't made by Valve - when these games are installed they are installed to a folder called 'common' on the main SSD drive - when I set the 300GB partition up I specifically linked the 'common' folder to the 300GB partition (I am not sure what this option is called in Disk Management, maybe Symbolic Link? I can't remember right now). So my question is, can I use the SSD as a cache for a part of a partition?

I really hope that all made sense, also do you have any opinion on the above mentioned 'dynamic disk' setup?

-edited for clarity-
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
January 5, 2013 1:49:32 PM

My Steam folder is 295GB in size. Yep, I know what Steam is :lol: 

I think you can setup a cache for a specific partition using Intel SRT, which is available on Intel motherboards later than Z68 (with the possible exception of B75). Not sure (with a suspicion you cant) set up the cache for a folder within the partition.
Im guessing that your using the 300GB partition for just general programs? I dont see any downside to caching the whole partition. SRT will figure out what data is requested the most and cache it for fast access later, so you will get the best performance for the programs you use the most. Also remember that its going to be a 64GB cache on a 300GB partition. There are fairly large performance boosts when you do something along the lines of 32GB cache and a 2TB HDD. I suspect you will get great performance from the programs in there afterward.

Considering that I only just learnt that Dynamic Disk even existed, I cant really give a valid opinion until I understand what it is. So for now I'm nuetral, will look it up tomorrow (its 3AM here in Aus, I need to go to bed).
m
l
January 5, 2013 1:52:17 PM

manofchalk said:
My Steam folder is 295GB in size. Yep, I know what Steam is :lol: 

I think you can setup a cache for a specific partition using Intel SRT, which is available on Intel motherboards later than Z68 (with the possible exception of B75). Not sure (with a suspicion you cant) set up the cache for a folder within the partition.
Im guessing that your using the 300GB partition for just general programs? I dont see any downside to caching the whole partition. SRT will figure out what data is requested the most and cache it for fast access later, so you will get the best performance for the programs you use the most. Also remember that its going to be a 64GB cache on a 300GB partition. There are fairly large performance boosts when you do something along the lines of 32GB cache and a 2TB HDD. I suspect you will get great performance from the programs in there afterward.

Considering that I only just learnt that Dynamic Disk even existed, I cant really give a valid opinion until I understand what it is. So for now I'm nuetral, will look it up tomorrow (its 3AM here in Aus, I need to go to bed).

Oh alrighty, then. I will just go ahead and do the SSD Cache for the entire 2TB drive.

Before you go would you pretty please give me a link or something to a guide on how to do that?

I just pulled an all-nighter trying to trouble-shoot, but I understand it's late there. Thanks for all of your help.
m
l
January 5, 2013 2:10:07 PM

manofchalk said:
NCIX guide on Intel SRT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U83ED4FOWiw
I would ignore the bit about re-formatting the system drive, I suspect you wont need to since your not caching it.

All good man.

So I redownloaded the Intel SRT app.

But here is what mine looks like:

and here is what his from the video looks like:

See how mine is missing the 'Accelerate' option...what's the dealio with that? Pressing 'Manage' basically does nothing...
m
l
January 5, 2013 2:39:43 PM

If you do into Disk Management you can combine two drives of any size into a single logical volume, i.e. it will appear to Windows explorer as a single disk.

Its called a spanned volume in windows 7, you will need to backup the content of both disks as you will lose all data during the process. Once you've done that go to Disk Management, right click on one of the drives and delete volume, do the same for the 2nd. Then right click again and choose create new spanned volume.
m
l
January 5, 2013 3:03:20 PM

richy_g said:
If you do into Disk Management you can combine two drives of any size into a single logical volume, i.e. it will appear to Windows explorer as a single disk.

Its called a spanned volume in windows 7, you will need to backup the content of both disks as you will lose all data during the process. Once you've done that go to Disk Management, right click on one of the drives and delete volume, do the same for the 2nd. Then right click again and choose create new spanned volume.

Hmm, okay.

I just tried what you told me...but, well the screenshot speaks for itself.

I rightclicked on the 64GB drive to do 'New Spanned Volume' as that option was grayed out on the 128GB drive.

It never lets me click the 'next' button and it stays grayed out no matter what I do...

What's the issue?
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 5, 2013 3:07:58 PM

Right-click where it says Disk 0 (bottom pane) select Convert to Dynamic Disk then create a new spanned volume from Disk 0 to Disk 1 (unallocated space). This should work.
January 5, 2013 3:11:40 PM

cball1311 said:
Are you trying to span the 119GB partition to the 59GB partition. Right-click where it says Disk 0 (bottom pane) select Convert to Dynamic Disk then create a new spanned volume from Disk 0 to Disk 1 (unallocated space). This should work.

These are the only options I am given...

http://i.imgur.com/rPEEU.png

edit - DOOOOOOHHH - you have to click on the left side.

:pfff: 
m
l
a b G Storage
January 5, 2013 3:12:51 PM

No. Right-click right on "Disk 0" and you should have an option to change to Dynamic Disk.
m
l
January 5, 2013 3:16:46 PM

cball1311 said:
No. Right-click right on "Disk 0" and you should have an option to change to Dynamic Disk.

Sorry I'm an idiot, heh... Thanks for putting up with me.

I've done what you told me, but still the problem persists where I am not allowed to go past the actual creation of the 'new spanned volume'

m
l
a b G Storage
January 5, 2013 3:21:36 PM

ok. now convert Disk 1 to dynamic and see if you can select it. Then create a new partition and give it a drive letter and all the rest. You should have one drive with ~180 GB.
m
l
January 5, 2013 3:27:24 PM

cball1311 said:
ok. now convert Disk 1 to dynamic and see if you can select it. Then create a new partition and give it a drive letter and all the rest. You should have one drive with ~180 GB.

Thanks for being patient and spelling it all out for me man, you're awesome. I learned something!

Great success!

Have a good weekend man :) .
m
l
a b G Storage
January 5, 2013 3:29:16 PM

Now reboot and make sure everything comes up right.
m
l
January 5, 2013 3:37:46 PM

cball1311 said:
Now reboot and make sure everything comes up right.

Yep, everything is dandy.
:love: 
m
l
a b G Storage
January 5, 2013 3:43:15 PM

Glad I could help. Happy Computing. :D 
m
l
January 5, 2013 3:43:28 PM

Best answer selected by Remmib.
m
l
January 5, 2013 3:58:01 PM

cball1311 said:
Glad I could help. Happy Computing. :D 

Just tried to install Windows from the desktop of my OCZ 256GB 'Work' drive and get this error:

The error popped up before I even got to the part where it asked me where I want to install it.

So now my friend just told me that I can't do a spanned volume (which he said is a 'software raid') on drive on which I want to install windows....

Is this real life?

Back to square one. :( 
m
l
a b G Storage
January 5, 2013 4:07:01 PM

Because your Work drive H: does not have any unallocated space. You need an empty partition to install windows. Shrink the current partition to half the size or what suits your needs(You might need this software to do it http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm). Then, there should be left over unallocated space for you to install Windows on H:
m
l
January 5, 2013 4:18:07 PM

cball1311 said:
Because your Work drive H: does not have any unallocated space. You need an empty partition to install windows. Shrink the current partition to half the size or what suits your needs(You might need this software to do it http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm). Then, there should be left over unallocated space for you to install Windows on H:

I think I am going to try another solution.

But I am stuck here, I cannot get my Disk 1 to change back to a 'basic' drive. It is stuck on 'dynamic':

Any ideas on how to get it back to basic?

*edit* working on a solution with a friend, will post back here if I am unsuccessful/need more help.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 5, 2013 4:29:49 PM

Changing back is not going to be easy because you have that system partition on their which would have to be erased which could mess up your boot.
m
l
January 5, 2013 7:31:56 PM

cball1311 said:
Changing back is not going to be easy because you have that system partition on their which would have to be erased which could mess up your boot.

Ughhhh, after a couple hours of failed solutions I finally found this - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26829-convert-dyna... - solution 2 let me switch it back from Dynamic to Basic.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 5, 2013 8:32:17 PM

How much space do you have available on H drive. If you have at least half of the drive empty, use the software that I suggested earlier in the thread to shrink the volume to half the total size of the HDD. It will automatically make unallocated space on the drive and you can install Windows to the unallocated space. Leave your drives as dynamic disks with a spanned volume and everything will be fine.
m
l
!