Sign in with
Your question

Verbatim hard drive file recovery

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 5, 2013 2:23:42 PM

Hello, i have a verbatim 1tb hard drive, which was until about 5 minutes ago working fine.... after a short break i went back to my work and for some reason the harddrive was unresponsive.... I tried to connect it via usb to another computer but it still wasnt being seen/recognised... when initially attached to a computer it seems to make a kind of jammed repetetive whirring sound.... can anyone advise me as to what the problem might be?.. it would be much appreciated as i have important research material on it relating to my studies.. thankyou
January 5, 2013 2:33:04 PM

How old is the HDD?

It's not a good sign if the drive is not working on another PC, it's very possible the HDD has died.

I can't stress enough how important it is to keep a regular backup of important data.
I learnt the hard way when I had a 1TB drive die on me too, now I keep a regular backup that is automatically updated every week.

I will recommend a program called 'Recuva' by Piriform, if the drive has already died this program may not work.

HDD's are a mechanical device, they do eventually fail, expect them too.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 5, 2013 2:45:27 PM

hi warhead0, thankyou for your advice, its a continuous, i have just tried to start the "recuva" program after downloading it, but its not running either... this was from my mac as the computer i normally use for my studies is a university secure set-up... hmmm
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 5, 2013 2:46:08 PM

warhead0 said:
How old is the HDD?

It's not a good sign if the drive is not working on another PC, it's very possible the HDD has died.

I can't stress enough how important it is to keep a regular backup of important data.
I learnt the hard way when I had a 1TB drive die on me too, now I keep a regular backup that is automatically updated every week.

I will recommend a program called 'Recuva' by Piriform, if the drive has already died this program may not work.

HDD's are a mechanical device, they do eventually fail, expect them too.

hi warhead0, thankyou for your advice, its a continuous, i have just tried to start the "recuva" program after downloading it, but its not running either... this was from my mac as the computer i normally use for my studies is a university secure set-up... hmmm
January 16, 2013 4:11:19 AM

You could try a free drive recovery utility, which has helped me recover many of my files from an inaccessible drive. It is really free and easy to handle.
Tips:
1. Do not store any new file on this drive to avoid the original data overwritten by new data, which can make it gone forever.
2. Do not save the recovered data on the same drive in case of recovery failure.
3. Do not forget to format this drive to see whether it could work.
4. Do not forget to back up your important data regularly in the future.
July 27, 2014 6:05:18 PM

thanks for the suggestion. I will try that and hope that this helps me.
!