Verbatim hard drive file recovery

G

Hello, i have a verbatim 1tb hard drive, which was until about 5 minutes ago working fine.... after a short break i went back to my work and for some reason the harddrive was unresponsive.... I tried to connect it via usb to another computer but it still wasnt being seen/recognised... when initially attached to a computer it seems to make a kind of jammed repetetive whirring sound.... can anyone advise me as to what the problem might be?.. it would be much appreciated as i have important research material on it relating to my studies.. thankyou

warhead0

Distinguished
How old is the HDD?

It's not a good sign if the drive is not working on another PC, it's very possible the HDD has died.

I can't stress enough how important it is to keep a regular backup of important data.
I learnt the hard way when I had a 1TB drive die on me too, now I keep a regular backup that is automatically updated every week.

I will recommend a program called 'Recuva' by Piriform, if the drive has already died this program may not work.

HDD's are a mechanical device, they do eventually fail, expect them too.

G

hi warhead0, thankyou for your advice, its a continuous, i have just tried to start the "recuva" program after downloading it, but its not running either... this was from my mac as the computer i normally use for my studies is a university secure set-up... hmmm

G

hi warhead0, thankyou for your advice, its a continuous, i have just tried to start the "recuva" program after downloading it, but its not running either... this was from my mac as the computer i normally use for my studies is a university secure set-up... hmmm