Sign in with
Your question

HD5770 crashes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 15, 2010 6:41:41 PM

A few weeks ago, I made the following post here, asking for help:

Quote:
Hello! I just recently built a brand new computer and have been having some issues which have made the experience pretty disappointing.

First and foremost, my rig:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 3.4 GHZ black
Cooler: Corsair V8
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 DHX 4GB ( 2 X 2GB ) PC3-10666 1333MHz 240-pin DDR (upgraded to 8gb since last post, with 2 more of the same stick)
PSU: Corsair TX850 (850 watt)
GPU: 2x XFX Radeon HD5770 in Crossfire
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair III formula
1 TB hard drive (western digital)
2x LG dvd-ram drives
Cooler Master HAF case
Ran with both Win XP and now with Win 7 64 bit. Same issues.

Now, ever since I built this, I have been getting frequent, random crashes. The symptoms are always the same: The system hangs up, the sound goes into a nasty loop (usually only if sound was present), and there is nothing i can do but force a hard reset. No error messages, no warnings. Other than that, these crashes seem to follow no logical pattern. Sometimes the computer will run fine for 4 hours straight, sometimes there would be two or three (or five or six!) of them in a 15 minute period. There is no trigger that i could think of - sometimes it happens when I'm gaming, sometimes when installing, sometimes when I'm browsing the web, and its even happened while idling on the desktop.

All my drivers are up to date, nothing is overclocked, everything is connected up in the most optimal possible way. All my fans are operational and all the temperatures (cpu, gpu) are on good levels. The maximum load i've seen on the GPU or RAM was under 50%. I feel like I've exhausted my options. The problem is I don't know what exactly is causing this. My best guess would be the crossfire 5770s, but its a weak hunch at best. Please help, and thanks for your time =]

EDIT: memtest86+ did not detect a single error

The people who responded were very helpful and I thought I had fixed the problem, only to have it recur not long after I selected the best reply =[.
Since then, I've been trying to work the issue out with XFX to no avail.
I figured I'd come back here in desperation.

I made a list of the things I tried so far:
*Uninstalling and reinstalling all drivers, with driver sweeper and safe mode, multiple times
*Formatting my hard drive and doing a completely fresh install (multiple times with windows xp, widows vista, now windows 7 64bit)
*uninstalling all sound card drviers
*physically removing the sound card
*testing both cards without crossfire on
*testing each card individually
*re-seating the processor and fan
*loosening the fan from the processor
*memtest86+ (not a single error)

I haven't tried yet:
*trying cards in a different system (don't have one)
*increasing voltage on cards (not sure what to increase it to, don't want to fry them)
*using an older catalyst driver (not sure which one to use)

Any and all help is highly appreciated. =]

More about : hd5770 crashes

August 15, 2010 6:50:29 PM

Did your problems start again after adding the ram?

m
l
August 15, 2010 6:52:34 PM

r-sky said:
Did your problems start again after adding the ram?

No, they have been there before and after purchasing the extra ram. I ran memtest86+ again on the 8 gig setup just to make sure and it gave me 0 errors.
m
l
Related resources
August 17, 2010 2:08:16 AM

Two more things I tried that didn't work:
*CMOS clearing
*Manually setting RAM voltage to 1.7V 1333MHZ 9-9-9-24

Currently have an advanced RMA on the motherboard
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 17, 2010 2:20:22 AM

It could be the motherboard. It's very unlikely that both of your graphics cards are broken. What I would suggest is you try out both your graphics cards alone in your second pci-e slot, as quite often a bad pci-e slot goes undetected.
m
l
August 21, 2010 4:18:28 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know that i seem to have found the solution to my issue. In the bios, I set my ram to 1.6V 1333MHZ 9-9-9-24 (1.5 v is the recommended setting) and my North Bridge to 3.5 V. Haven't had a crash in 3 days.
m
l
!