Sign in with
Your question

RAM or Mobo Issue?

Last response: in Systems
September 26, 2010 9:20:07 PM

I recently built a new computer with a GA-890FXA-UD5 motherboard. However, I was getting random crashes of programs and even occasional blue screens (one program in particular that consistantly crashed was the game League of Legends). I spent about a week stress testing various components including the CPU (prime 95), memory (memtest86), and video card, but never had any issues during the testing. I also swapped out different hard drives and I updated the BIOS. Finally I discovered there seems to be something wrong with the ram slots on the Mobo. By putting my ram in the 1 and 3 slots, the system worked flawlessly for a week. But any time I put RAM in slots 2 or 4 I'd start getting program and system crashes (I've tried putting the ram in various configurations and using only single sticks). I assumed this was just a defect I got in that particular Mobo, so I returned it for a replacement to newegg. However, I just received the replacement board and now seem to be having the exact same problem. I can run the system fine with RAM in slots 1&3, but this will strongly limit how much I can upgrade in the future (and make it more expensive), which is one of the reasons I selected this mobo in the first place. Can anyone recommend any other solutions to this problem or have you encountered any similar issues? It doesn't make sense to me that I got two boards that were defective in the exact same way, but it also doesn't seem to make sense that both my RAM sticks are defective but only cause issues in certain slots. Crucial's website says these sticks should be compatable with that board and I checked that the voltage is correct. I'd be grateful to hear any advice or experince anyone else has had with this. Thanks.

System:
-------------
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5(rev. 2.0)
CPU : AMD phenom II 965 BE
Memory: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
Power Supply : Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W
Video card: GIGABYTE GV-R577SO-1GD Radeon HD 5770

More about : ram mobo issue

September 26, 2010 10:14:38 PM

I can't tell from your description - Have you tried the RAM in the first and second slots at the same time (i.e. DDR3_1 and DDR3_2)? Page 16 of your manual recommends that config: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_g...

In the BIOS you'll then want to set DCTs Mode to Ganged (p. 41)
September 27, 2010 3:16:39 AM

Thanks for the response. I orignially had the RAM in slots 1 and 2 as shown in the manual. However, I hadn't set the DCT mode to Ganged previously. Doing that seemed to reduce the frequency of program crashes but didn't eliminate them. Nevertheless, it only seems to work without error if I split the ram in slots 1 and 3 (or use just one stick in one of these slots). This is my first build and I'm a bit new at this, so I was wondering what does the DCT mode do exactly? Thanks again.
!