Sign in with
Your question

I have an old computer Can I view my new computer screen with it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 15, 2010 7:23:27 PM

Hello, I have a new acer (Windows 7) with a cracked screen. I want to switch to a Mac but need to use the old one while I transfer stuff. I can barely see parts of the cracked screen. I have a Mac and two other windows computers. Can I hook one of them up so I can view one of the working screens while I run programs from the Acer?

More about : computer view computer screen

a b U Graphics card
August 16, 2010 1:36:44 AM

Just unhook one of the monitors and attach it to the Acer, otherwise I don't see the pbroblem.
m
l
August 27, 2010 12:44:33 PM

mister g said:
Just unhook one of the monitors and attach it to the Acer, otherwise I don't see the pbroblem.

I do not know how to do this. I have never opened up any of my laptops. (Did I mention they are all laptops?) How would I "unhook" one of the laptops' monitors and "attach" it to my Acer? I have all kinds of old cables and stuff, if that helps.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2010 12:54:42 PM

Heheh...now I'm wondering how can one 'unhook' a laptop screen and attach it to another one! :) ) Kidding mister g!

But that is kinda tricky...let's see what's there on the web. Will try and put something up soon...
m
l
August 27, 2010 10:34:17 PM

Yes, it would have been helpful. Sorry. (I'm an old lady.)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 28, 2010 12:05:38 AM

Does the old laptop hava a VGA port on it and would you happen to have a spare monitor lying around? If not I'm sure if you bring the laptops to an electronics store they might let you hook one of their monitor onto your laptop.
m
l
September 5, 2010 11:01:03 PM

The computer with the cracked screen is a new Acer Aspire One. I do not have an old monitor, just old laptops. I live in Costa Rica so going to an electronics store is not an option.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 1:46:07 PM

How old are your other laptops and do they work? I'm asking because the hard drive should be removable and you can plug it into an older laptop without the cracked screen and transfer it from there.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 1:59:18 PM

Just go to any shop in town and pick up a crt monitor and maybe a dvi to vga adapter then you are set to do what you need. I only recommended a crt due to their low cost.
m
l
September 6, 2010 3:00:01 PM

mister g said:
How old are your other laptops and do they work? I'm asking because the hard drive should be removable and you can plug it into an older laptop without the cracked screen and transfer it from there.

I'm sorry. You will have to talk very slowly to me. I do not know to which computer you are referring. I have four not so old laptops. Three work OK and one does not work any more. And of course I have the new Acer with the screen I can't see. Let's call them computers A (Acer with cracked screen), B (working sony vio), C (sort of working sony vio), D (working MacBook). Are you saying I would remove the hard drive from my Acer (sounds dangerous) and plug it into one of the older laptops after I have removed the hard drive from the older one? Very scary.
m
l
September 6, 2010 3:03:35 PM

nforce4max said:
Just go to any shop in town and pick up a crt monitor and maybe a dvi to vga adapter then you are set to do what you need. I only recommended a crt due to their low cost.

Everything here in Costa Rica is more expensive (twice) what it is in the states. No such thing as "any shop in town".
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 3:05:22 PM

A hard drive swap sounds like a very bad idea actually... You could buy a stand-alone external monitor, and then plug it into the port that your Acer likely has on the side. The port on the side of the Acer could be either a VGA (has three staggered rows of pins), or DVI (has identical parallel rows in a rectangle shape).

Just out of curiousity why did you get a new one if you have two working?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 3:16:03 PM

Juliegfoster said:
Everything here in Costa Rica is more expensive (twice) what it is in the states. No such thing as "any shop in town".

Then you are with out options and the laptops might as well be spare parts only at best. You need a monitor or its hard drive pull. If you don't do that then you might as well not bother. If you don't understand then don't bother posting. You have few options. Use a monitor or pull the drive its your choice.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 5:34:14 PM

The hard drive swap would only be bad as the Acer's drive won't have all of the Viao's driver (programs that tell Windows what to do with particular parts, use PC B as its the one with the better chance to work, actually tell me what model Viaos you have), once the entire thing boots all you need is the transfer cable from Windows to MacBook. Check the Viao's and Aspire's for instructions for removing hard drives, remember if it won't fit don't force it. You will need to turn off both laptops and a Philips head screwdriver.
m
l
September 8, 2010 12:51:12 AM

jryan388 said:
A hard drive swap sounds like a very bad idea actually... You could buy a stand-alone external monitor, and then plug it into the port that your Acer likely has on the side. The port on the side of the Acer could be either a VGA (has three staggered rows of pins), or DVI (has identical parallel rows in a rectangle shape).

Just out of curiousity why did you get a new one if you have two working?

I got the first new one because my XP was a few years old and I needed more hard drive space. The new one had Windows Vista and then the hard drive started to go so I got the Acer. I had someone repair the hard drive but he told me not to trust it. My husband had an older MacBook that he gave me after I cracked the screen on the Acer. I need Quicken from my Acer and have been trying to use the Mac with Quicken Essentials but it really bites. I really want to quit using Windows altogether. It gets worse every year. I like the Mac. I wish I could find some great financial software but I am having trouble converting my years of Quicken data to anything. So whatever I do will be sort of temporary and then I will get rid of the Acer. I don't think I can go backwards with the Quicken software to the XP.
m
l
!