Sign in with
Your question

How do I merge my HP Recovery partition?

Last response: in Storage
January 5, 2013 3:49:58 PM

I have been searching the web for this and I just can't figure it out. I just installed Windows 8 on my computer and want to merge the HP recovery partition because I have a set of recovery disks I can use instead.

How do I do this? I went to "Disk Management" and am unable to "expand volume" from the C drive to the D drive.

Thanks and if you need more info just let me know.
a b α HP
a c 93 G Storage
January 5, 2013 4:16:58 PM

You have to delete the recovery partition before you can expand the other partition into that space.
m
l
January 5, 2013 4:59:42 PM

COLGeek said:
You have to delete the recovery partition before you can expand the other partition into that space.

How do I do that?
m
l
Related resources
a b α HP
a c 93 G Storage
January 5, 2013 5:02:25 PM

In Disk Management select the recovery partition and delete it.
m
l
a b α HP
a b G Storage
January 5, 2013 5:05:17 PM

I'd use EaseUS Partition Master 9.1.1 Home Edition. best free partition tool out there.
m
l
a b α HP
a c 93 G Storage
January 5, 2013 5:52:50 PM

getochkn said:
I'd use EaseUS Partition Master 9.1.1 Home Edition. best free partition tool out there.

Yep, that is a good tool and will work as well. Still you delete the recovery partition first and then expand the other partition afterward.
m
l
January 8, 2013 5:58:03 AM

Windows built-in Disk Management can only extend C drive into an unallocated space,so, you have to delete D drive into an unallocated space or use third party software to merge your D drive to your C drive, Like AOMEI Partition Assistant, etc.
m
l
January 9, 2013 3:40:13 AM

Here are my ways for you to emerge your partitions:
1. Back up your important data well in case of any data loss in the following operation.
2. Right click “My Computer” to select “Manage”
3. Double click “Disk Management”.
4. Right click the volume that you wan to delete and hit “Delete Volume”.
5. Right click the volume that you want to expand and select “Extend Volume”. Afterwards, your computer will automatically emerge them for you.
m
l
April 20, 2014 7:19:14 PM

You’ve got a grayed-out “extend volume”? In fact, that often happens when the free space is not coincidentally behind your partition which you need add the space. But, don’t worry! Without that way, you also can extend your partition by using some professional partition resizing tools online, like IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free, GParted, Active Partition Master and more.
Of course, for the safety of all your partition data, always save important data on another drive firstly.
m
l
May 7, 2014 7:31:27 PM

Yeah, delete the recovery partition in Disk Management and then, right click your wanted partition to expand it there.
But, if you still cannot figure it out, here is a video tutorial that can help you expand it step by step:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jCeT7CbsKk
Note: Back up everything important well in advance.

m
l
!