Sign in with
Your question

3.5 in SSD not recognized by enclosure

Last response: in Storage
January 5, 2013 3:56:48 PM

Hi All,
Having a bit of a doozy that hopefully some can help answer. I have a new 1TB 3.5" SSD (OCZ Colossus LT - OCZSSD2-1CLST1T). I have tried to connect this to 3 different 2.5 in SATA-USB adapters and enclosures and also to a 3.5 enclosure. No dice. It does not show up in Disk Utility or on windoze disk manager. It does however show up if I connect it internally to my desktop. (The desktop runs Ubuntu but that really does not matter as it's detected by the BIOS right away)

Any help is greatly appreciated. I really want to connect this directly to my router and have it sit in the corner as a NAS. I dont want to use this i a desktop.

Thanks in advance
a c 96 G Storage
January 5, 2013 4:11:32 PM

The SSD is actually 2 devices connected internally via RAID0. Your system is having trouble recognizing this RAID0 via the USB interface. Check the OCZ website for any additional drivers that will allow its use as you intend.

BTW, why are you trying to use a blazing fast SSD in a relatively slow external USB enclosure?
m
l
January 5, 2013 7:18:16 PM

@COLGeek thanks for your reply ... I actually did see the Raid0 in Linux and will check to see if OCZ has some drivers for USB.

The reason I am doing this (bit embarrassing I admit) is that I want to have a nice quite NAS ... but I don't want moving parts and noisy machines. I had a spare SSD and since I have moved away from PCs completely I figured this would be the best use. Ideally I really think this drive could go into a server or even PC desktop but I don't want those.

Any suggestions on how I can achieve both?

m
l
Related resources
a c 96 G Storage
January 5, 2013 7:22:46 PM

Are you trying to connect (via USB) the SSD to a NAS? If so, what OS is the NAS running?
m
l
January 5, 2013 7:36:26 PM

Well currently the plan is to connect it directly to my router (Cisco/Linksys E4200) ... don't know what OS it runs internally. It basically allows you to connect a USB drive and have it be accessible on your network ... also it will then serve my personal media on that drive to all my connected devices. Actually pretty nice little device that. Alternatively I have a laptop running ubuntu server that I was going to use and setup this drive as a samba share.

m
l
a c 96 G Storage
January 5, 2013 7:51:26 PM

I don't suspect your router will ever like having a RAID0 device attached to it. The router's OS just isn't that advanced. I would lean toward the laptop server route myself. It also allows for greater flexibility in terms of sharing.
m
l
January 5, 2013 7:56:29 PM

Agreed ... but first I've got to get the darn thing to get recognized by the laptop ... I don't know of any other adapter except USB to SATA (no eSATA on laptop) ... also no luck so far on the OCZ site
m
l
a c 96 G Storage
January 5, 2013 8:12:17 PM

I misunderstood. I assumed that your laptop (Ubuntu) was the system that saw the RAID0. Is it? Or was that a desktop machine with the OCZ as an internal device?

Also, have you considered FreeNAS vice Ubuntu Server?
m
l
a c 96 G Storage
January 5, 2013 8:19:17 PM

I do know that some RAID systems will work via USB. My daughter uses one of these with her video editing rig: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The device will work with a PC (she uses a Mac), but you need drivers to interact with the RAID controller.

In your case, if OCZ doesn't offer any such driver/utility support, I think you are out of luck accessing the RAID via USB.
m
l
a c 129 G Storage
January 5, 2013 8:28:37 PM

could not find any info on us ocz web page for that ssd. i would see if there any firmware updates..some time it an old firmware or a bug. one thing have you tried to see if it was a power issue with the encloser. if the board inside was outputting to low or to high the ssd to save itself wont come on. have you tried plugging power from a sata power port on your power supply and plugging the device in to a usb port.
m
l
January 6, 2013 2:02:26 AM

COLGeek said:
I misunderstood. I assumed that your laptop (Ubuntu) was the system that saw the RAID0. Is it? Or was that a desktop machine with the OCZ as an internal device?

Also, have you considered FreeNAS vice Ubuntu Server?

Yup ... I am actually seriously considering this. Used freeNAS a few years ago as a standalone setup and loved it. Although the convenience of using it to my ubuntu server or router is too tempting. But freeNAS will be exciting :D 

My desktop also has ubuntu and it was the first machine that saw my drive when connected internally. The laptop has ubuntu server but was not detecting the drive until I connected to the single USB plus port.
m
l
January 6, 2013 2:06:38 AM

So I think I have a solution. I found that the drive was discovered if I connected to a laptop via a USB "PLUS" port ... apparently this delivers more/different power than a powered 3.5 enclosure, or a powered USB hub. I am able to connect this to my laptop running Ubuntu server using only the USB plus port and all is well. The only outstanding issue is that it does not work on mac., I have tried all the ports on my mini and MBA. Also connected using a powered USB hub but no dice. But this was not my primary goal so I am OK.
m
l
January 6, 2013 2:10:47 AM

smorizio said:
could not find any info on us ocz web page for that ssd. i would see if there any firmware updates..some time it an old firmware or a bug. one thing have you tried to see if it was a power issue with the encloser. if the board inside was outputting to low or to high the ssd to save itself wont come on. have you tried plugging power from a sata power port on your power supply and plugging the device in to a usb port.

I did think of this myself too :)  ... but the issue is that the USB adapter does not allow me to connect only the SATA and leave out the power. The adapter has both connecters in one mold as is common.
m
l
!