Sign in with
Your question

LGA1366 replacment ? (and some other questions)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 22, 2010 4:12:19 PM

I am going to buy a top pc very soon I really dont want to make a mistake. :( 

at the start I was going to buy a I7 950 CPU with a GTX570SLI a gigabyte mother board (doesn't really meter if its a ud3-7 lol) 6GB RAM and H70 cooling 850AX and a HAX X case.
so this is relay a top gaming pc and I dont want to make the wrong move when buying it (I mean if a new better i7 processors will come just in a few months ?)

after asking here at the forum people told me ton wait for the SB processors which is probably the right move, but just now I realized that the up coming SB are a replacement for the LGA1156 and not the 1366.

any way the thing that disappointed me the most is the support is limited for dual channel I was thinking its going to support a quad channel :(  :(  :(  :( 

still I think going for the SB is a better move since it has a huge OC ability (if I get a SB I will have the same parts in the pc only difference is a UD7 motherboard and a i7 2600k processors and instead of 6gb in triple channel 8GB in dual).

so what I want to ask is, is their a new socket better then the 1155 is coming ?
and when the 1366 replacement socket will be here if the 1366 replacement will be here soon I dont care to wait even 4 months.
I just really dont want to make a mistake with this pc .

thanks in advance to anyone who help :D  :sarcastic:  :) 

if its the wrong place to post sorry I am new here... :( 

sorry for writing so much :??: 
a c 159 à CPUs
December 22, 2010 4:27:56 PM

Either the 950 or new sandy bridge 1155 will work fine; you can't go wrong with either one. Sandy bridge may be around a little longer. But someone got the 950 for only $199.99 at microcenter, if you live near one. I would go for the best value for the total package-cpu/board/ram. I would also do it by January, which is when sandy bridge is supposed to be released, before ram prices go up.
December 22, 2010 4:35:57 PM

but what about the LGA1366 replacement ?

the 1155 is only a mainstream socket while the 1366 is still a an enthusiast socket so it will sure be worth waiting for the 1366 replacement .
Related resources
a c 159 à CPUs
December 22, 2010 4:41:19 PM

No. If you need the system right now, I wouldn't wait. Intel boards will be around for years. Don't plan on upgrading the cpu later; Intel changes motherboard chipsets often now; get what you want now, the boards will be around a long time, and the cpus come with a three year warranty. Future proofing is obsolete now. Don't even think about it. But ram prices may rise, they could easily double if you wait. They are cheap now.
December 22, 2010 4:55:03 PM

I dont mind waiting I have a I7 920 cpu and gtx285

I was planing to give this 1 to my bro and get a new one.

the only question is how much time I will need to wait ...
a c 159 à CPUs
December 22, 2010 4:57:41 PM

See if Sandy bridge comes out on schedule next month, then decide how long you want to wait. Also be reasonable about your budget; I wouldn't spend too much if you upgrade often. Some folks just get bored and want to spend $$ when their old system is fine. I try to sell my old stuff first before ordering.
December 22, 2010 4:59:53 PM

ranX3 said:
I am going to buy a top pc very soon I really dont want to make a mistake. :( 

at the start I was going to buy a I7 950 CPU with a GTX570SLI a gigabyte mother board (doesn't really meter if its a ud3-7 lol) 6GB RAM and H70 cooling 850AX and a HAX X case.
so this is relay a top gaming pc and I dont want to make the wrong move when buying it (I mean if a new better i7 processors will come just in a few months ?)

after asking here at the forum people told me ton wait for the SB processors which is probably the right move, but just now I realized that the up coming SB are a replacement for the LGA1156 and not the 1366.

any way the thing that disappointed me the most is the support is limited for dual channel I was thinking its going to support a quad channel :(  :(  :(  :( 

still I think going for the SB is a better move since it has a huge OC ability (if I get a SB I will have the same parts in the pc only difference is a UD7 motherboard and a i7 2600k processors and instead of 6gb in triple channel 8GB in dual).

so what I want to ask is, is their a new socket better then the 1155 is coming ?
and when the 1366 replacement socket will be here if the 1366 replacement will be here soon I dont care to wait even 4 months.
I just really dont want to make a mistake with this pc .

thanks in advance to anyone who help :D  :sarcastic:  :) 

if its the wrong place to post sorry I am new here... :( 

sorry for writing so much :??: 

EVGA Hosted a chat session with Intel's developers a while back and I had the opportunity to ask them this exact question. I posted it on a blog I used to run. Here is the snippet from the conversation:

"Q : PsychoTeddy: Does Intel have any plans to eliminate the LGA 1366 socket and opt for the 1156 in it's place? Or will we continue to see high-end i7s with a 1366 socket? I presume the extra pins are for the extra memory channel?
A : Intel_TonyV: We will continue to drive processors for Core i7 that provide the best experience for the Enthusiast. I can't comment on future plans and yes, the bigger socket accommodates the third channel of memory as well as a QPI interface to the X58 IOH."
December 22, 2010 5:18:34 PM

didnt really understand :\

so their isnt any info about a new socket coming ?

so their is a chance they will get some more i7 cpus for the 1366 socket which are built in 32nm process.
a c 159 à CPUs
December 22, 2010 5:29:37 PM

Good question. I would write Intel tech support on their website.
December 22, 2010 5:35:42 PM

ranX3 said:
didnt really understand :\

so their isnt any info about a new socket coming ?

so their is a chance they will get some more i7 cpus for the 1366 socket which are built in 32nm process.

From what it sounded like to me it was a bunch of corporate mumbo jumbo that seemed to imply that they were going to keep 1366 for some time. I personally am not worried about them phasing it out in the next two years, but those are just my impressions. The reason that 1366 is such an advantage is because it supports triple channel memory, which is a huge performance improvement over dual channel. I don't see any reason why they'd develop another triple channel socket or phase it out in lieu of a dual channel socket.
December 22, 2010 5:50:22 PM

what about the LGA2011 I heard rumors about it in anther forum ?
December 22, 2010 6:19:27 PM

ranX3 said:
what about the LGA2011 I heard rumors about it in anther forum ?

Well... Internet rumors are internet rumors... :pt1cable: 
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2010 6:34:07 PM

yes...the LGA2011 is slated for Q3 2011 - Q1 2012 release date and will be the successor to LGA 1366. but that means you will have to wait at least a year to start to get a CPU & motherboard. there will always be something faster on the horizon...your GTX 570 will be outdated within 6 months. Get the i7 950 and be happy...
December 22, 2010 6:41:00 PM

ya but I still got a i7920 and a GTX285 I can wait and I dont have any of this parts yet.

anew series of CPU isnt coming out every year (more like once every 2.5-3 years) while GPU is coming out each year I rather wait for the LGA2011 and it will last me for a long time :) 

also if I got anything now it would be a 2600K
December 23, 2010 5:02:40 AM

2600K release is on the 9\1\2011
December 23, 2010 5:19:25 AM

just get the 1366, you will not regret it...there are many top of the like i5, i3 and AMD systems that can't compete. 1366 will still be here for a while
December 23, 2010 5:21:13 AM

did i mention that sandy bridge is not all that...if you have a nice graphics card setup you don't need sandy bridge...that tech i more for people that don't know what they are doing when it comes to computer building. why would you want a all in one solution?
December 23, 2010 6:52:19 AM

ok I have 2 systems to compare

I am not waiting for their LGA2011 or the LGA1356 or what ever intel goan bring unoless they will say they will say the release date and some more info about the 1366 replacement.

for now I have 2 systems to compare:
first 1 :
I7 950
GIGABYTE UD3 X58 (3WAY SLI\CF support (the 2way support cost 3$ less lol))
GTX570 Gigabyte SLI
6GB ram mushkin black
H70 CPU cooler
1Tb wd black
AX850 corsair
HAF-X case

the other option is:
I7 2600K
Gigabyte flag ship motherboard UD7 1155 socket.
GTX570 Gigabyte SLI
4GB or 8GB ram not sure what amount to take. (also not sure about what company)
H70 CPU cooler (the 1156 socket coolers also work for 1155)
1Tb wd black
AX850 corsair
HAF-X case

I am going to crazy overclock it lol so I think the SB is a better option.
the SB come with stock speed of 3.4 while the 950 only 3.0 and the 2600K is allot easier and better to overclock its the same as EXTREME cpus and I saw benchmarks of it and it beat the I7 875 in all the benchmarks by far.

with the H70 and 950 CPU I will probably max overclock it to 4.2-4.3 with the 2600k I can overclock it to 5 and it will also be cooler cause its a 32nm and not 45 like the 950.

!