Pronunciation of "instagib"

Last response: in Video Games
April 27, 2004 8:31:49 AM

"instagib"

Hard g or soft? I.e., gib as in gill or jill?

Seems to me that whether the word derives from "gibbet" or "giblet", it
should be a soft g. But everyone I've heard actually say the word uses a
hard g.

So which is it?

-Dan / :TsT:Tuber

More about : pronunciation instagib

Anonymous
April 27, 2004 1:24:44 PM

I use soft, like giblet. I don't know though.

--
Toby
asktoby.com

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 04:31:49 GMT, Daniel Damouth wrote:

> "instagib"
>
> Hard g or soft? I.e., gib as in gill or jill?
>
> Seems to me that whether the word derives from "gibbet" or "giblet", it
> should be a soft g. But everyone I've heard actually say the word uses a
> hard g.
>
> So which is it?
>
> -Dan / :TsT:Tuber

I'd pronounce it as "who cares?"

--
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
Related resources

# Mr K

> I'd pronounce it as "who cares?"

Thankyou for your valued contribution.

--
Toby
asktoby.com

Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in

> "instagib"
>
> Hard g or soft? I.e., gib as in gill or jill?
>
> Seems to me that whether the word derives from "gibbet" or "giblet",
> it should be a soft g. But everyone I've heard actually say the word
> uses a hard g.

http://dict.die.net/gib/

Skip to the bottom of the page (past "shoe" and "slipper") for the relevant
entry.
April 27, 2004 4:14:59 PM

Daniel Damouth enlightened us with:
> "instagib"
>
> Hard g or soft? I.e., gib as in gill or jill?

I pronounce it with a g as in "get", and from what I hear so do other
Dutch people. Then again, that might not be the right pronounciation :)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
April 27, 2004 4:15:00 PM

The American Heritage Dictionary says:

gib: hard g, short i as the Gibb brothers of the Bee Gees.

It also defines it as a piece of wood in a wedge shape.

"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote in message
> Daniel Damouth enlightened us with:
> > "instagib"
> >
> > Hard g or soft? I.e., gib as in gill or jill?
>
> I pronounce it with a g as in "get", and from what I hear so do other
> Dutch people. Then again, that might not be the right pronounciation :)
>
> MeltDown
> --
> !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
> ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
> !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 4:48:06 PM

On 27 Apr 2004 11:00:06 GMT, Toby Newman wrote:

> Thankyou for your valued contribution.

Anytime. Feel free to ask for help on any UT2K4 *problems* ("how do you
pronounce <word>" is not a problem as far as I know. YMMV).

--
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 4:48:07 PM

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 Mr K wrote:

> Then killfile the offending threads. It's as simple as that.

:p

--
Mutley!! Doooooo Something!!
Fix Outlook Express - http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:36:55 -0500, "Randy" <randy1640@cox.net> wrote:

>The American Heritage Dictionary says:
>
>gib: hard g, short i as the Gibb brothers of the Bee Gees.
>
>It also defines it as a piece of wood in a wedge shape.

But as it doesn't define the word in this context, it can't be relied
on for the correct pronunciation.
April 27, 2004 6:57:30 PM

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message > But as it doesn't define
the word in this context, it can't be relied
> on for the correct pronunciation.

lol....so true.
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 10:03:05 PM

"Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Anytime. Feel free to ask for help on any UT2K4 *problems* ("how do you
> pronounce <word>" is not a problem as far as I know. YMMV).

Surely then, by definition, not your problem either - killfile the guy -
stop bitching :)

April 28, 2004 1:21:04 AM

Mr K wrote:
> Anytime. Feel free to ask for help on any UT2K4 *problems* ("how do
> you pronounce <word>" is not a problem as far as I know. YMMV).

Since when is this the alt.games.unreal.tournament2003.problems newsgroup? I
must have missed that particular name change.

--

(O) e n o n e
Anonymous

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:21:04 GMT, "Oenone" <Oenone@nospam.com> wrote:

>Mr K wrote:
>> Anytime. Feel free to ask for help on any UT2K4 *problems* ("how do
>> you pronounce <word>" is not a problem as far as I know. YMMV).
>
>Since when is this the alt.games.unreal.tournament2003.problems newsgroup? I
>must have missed that particular name change.

Speaking of that, I've been playing this evening and all the sudden it
says "Black Monkey!" every so often. What's up with that?

--
Everything I believe could be wrong.
April 28, 2004 1:21:06 AM

It is not "black monkey" it's "FLAK monkey" happens when you do a certain
of kills in a row with the...flak!

HellSpawn

--
Top posting, it's my right and I am keeping it.
Make me smile and tell me you hate that!

"{AGUT}gopostal" <agutgopostal@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message

> Speaking of that, I've been playing this evening and all the sudden it
> says "Black Monkey!" every so often. What's up with that?
>
> --
> Everything I believe could be wrong.

April 28, 2004 4:38:41 AM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 04:31:49 GMT, Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com>
wrote:

>"instagib"
>
>Hard g or soft? I.e., gib as in gill or jill?
>
>Seems to me that whether the word derives from "gibbet" or "giblet", it
>should be a soft g. But everyone I've heard actually say the word uses a
>hard g.
>
>So which is it?
>
>-Dan / :TsT:Tuber

July 1997

American McGee made the following two plan updates (the more recent is
above the older one) regarding how to actually pronounce the word (Gib
with a G or a J sound). According to id and the source of where they
got the word, it is Gib with a J sound. Here's the plannage to prove
it all.

American first said about the subject:

As far as I know, the word "Gib" was invented here at id during the
DOOM days. At first it was how we referred to the little chunks of
meat that we left laying around the level in order to add atmosphere
to a level. The editor included all types of "Gib". The editor
entities were created by John Carmack and John Romero. I am pretty
sure that Romero was the inventor of the word, and I know for a fact
that he (and everyone else at id) pronounces it "Jib", not "Gib".

When Christian started working here he would say "Gib". After much
beating and torture I have convinced him that he was wrong. If you
find yourself having a hard time saying "Jib" then please whack
yourself in the head a few times and try again.

American added this later:

**Ugrent update to the Gib-Jib Debate**

The TRUE inventor of the word "Gib" turns out to be Adrian Carmack,
who explains as follows:

"Gib is short for gibblet. Gibblets are guts of a chicken. I first
heard a friend of mine use the term. Once I started working at id, I
would call the guts I drew "gibs"."

Apathy[AGQx]
Scientia Est Potentia >>======>
Illiterate? Write here for help:
http://www.p0rn0finish.org
April 28, 2004 10:26:53 AM

JC enlightened us with:
> It is not "black monkey" it's "FLAK monkey" happens when you do a
> certain of kills in a row with the...flak!

JC, your sense of humor can't cease to amaze me :)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
April 28, 2004 1:06:51 PM

Simple minds are easily amused, and since in this case there no humor...

HellSpawn

--

> JC enlightened us with:
> > It is not "black monkey" it's "FLAK monkey" happens when you do a
> > certain of kills in a row with the...flak!
>
> JC, your sense of humor can't cease to amaze me :)
>
> MeltDown
> --
> !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
> ! http://www.acoffeeandapretzel.org/faq
> !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

April 28, 2004 4:32:37 PM

i thought the word "gibs"(refering to all the guts and stuff dispersed upon
death),was an abreviation of giblets,in which the phonetic pronunciation
would be "jibs".

damyjuk

"Apathy" <apathy@NOSPAMp0rn0finish.org> wrote in message
news:o ngu80919apiq2am3kpd0j65skc7k92cmm@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 04:31:49 GMT, Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
> >"instagib"
> >
> >Hard g or soft? I.e., gib as in gill or jill?
> >
> >Seems to me that whether the word derives from "gibbet" or "giblet", it
> >should be a soft g. But everyone I've heard actually say the word uses a
> >hard g.
> >
> >So which is it?
> >
> >-Dan / :TsT:Tuber
>

> July 1997
>
> American McGee made the following two plan updates (the more recent is
> above the older one) regarding how to actually pronounce the word (Gib
> with a G or a J sound). According to id and the source of where they
> got the word, it is Gib with a J sound. Here's the plannage to prove
> it all.
>
> American first said about the subject:
>
> As far as I know, the word "Gib" was invented here at id during the
> DOOM days. At first it was how we referred to the little chunks of
> meat that we left laying around the level in order to add atmosphere
> to a level. The editor included all types of "Gib". The editor
> entities were created by John Carmack and John Romero. I am pretty
> sure that Romero was the inventor of the word, and I know for a fact
> that he (and everyone else at id) pronounces it "Jib", not "Gib".
>
> When Christian started working here he would say "Gib". After much
> beating and torture I have convinced him that he was wrong. If you
> find yourself having a hard time saying "Jib" then please whack
> yourself in the head a few times and try again.
>
> American added this later:
>
> **Ugrent update to the Gib-Jib Debate**
>
> The TRUE inventor of the word "Gib" turns out to be Adrian Carmack,
> who explains as follows:
>
> "Gib is short for gibblet. Gibblets are guts of a chicken. I first
> heard a friend of mine use the term. Once I started working at id, I
> would call the guts I drew "gibs"."
>

> Apathy[AGQx]
> Scientia Est Potentia >>======>
> Illiterate? Write here for help:
> http://www.p0rn0finish.org
April 28, 2004 11:03:08 PM

JC enlightened us with:
> [...] in this case there no humor...

My point exactly, thank you oh great humorless one.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
April 28, 2004 11:03:09 PM

Hey mindless boy, did you read the post I was replying to ??
Did you ? You have no context and come in here with your usual smart ass
comments, no wonder so many people are sick tired of you in here !!

HellSpawn
--

> JC enlightened us with:
> > [...] in this case there no humor...
>
> My point exactly, thank you oh great humorless one.
>
> MeltDown
> --
> !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
> ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
> !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

April 28, 2004 11:49:35 PM

JC wrote:

Whoosh

> Hey mindless boy, did you read the post I was replying to ??

Yes and it was a joke post

> Did you ?

YES

> You have no context and come in here with your usual smart ass
> comments, no wonder so many people are sick tired of you in here !!

Yes he does, it was a joke post that you didn't get and he did. You
displayed no humour in your reply.
You'll have to go back to the beginings of the group if you want to
understand the joke.

HTH

--
sid
RLU 300284 Mdk 10 2.6.3-8

"Daniel Damouth" <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> "instagib"
>
> Hard g or soft? I.e., gib as in gill or jill?

As in Jill.

> Seems to me that whether the word derives from "gibbet" or "giblet",
it
> should be a soft g. But everyone I've heard actually say the word
uses a
> hard g.

Derived from "instant giblets" so soft g would be accurate.

> So which is it?
>
> -Dan / :TsT:Tuber
May 5, 2004 11:29:45 AM

On Tue, 04 May 2004 22:07:37 -0400, "Christopher A. Shamis"
<cshamis0@woh.rr.com> wrote:

>If it did derive from gibbet or giblet, then it makes no sense.

Read Apathy's reply, its based on giblet (soft g) and does make sense.
May 5, 2004 7:09:22 PM

Andrew wrote:
> On Tue, 04 May 2004 22:07:37 -0400, "Christopher A. Shamis"
> <cshamis0@woh.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> If it did derive from gibbet or giblet, then it makes no sense.
>
> Read Apathy's reply, its based on giblet (soft g) and does make sense.

I believe a soft g is correct, but I just think a hard g sounds better, and
I've said it that way from the start...

Martin
May 5, 2004 8:16:41 PM

On Wed, 5 May 2004 15:09:22 +0100, "Martin" <martin@scotland.org>
wrote:

>I believe a soft g is correct, but I just think a hard g sounds better, and
>I've said it that way from the start...

Well, if you want to mispronounce giblet, thats up to you.
May 5, 2004 8:16:42 PM

On Wed, 05 May 2004 16:16:41 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:

>On Wed, 5 May 2004 15:09:22 +0100, "Martin" <martin@scotland.org>
>wrote:
>
>>I believe a soft g is correct, but I just think a hard g sounds better, and
>>I've said it that way from the start...
>
>Well, if you want to mispronounce giblet, thats up to you.

He's not mispronouncing 'giblet', he's pronouncing the made-up word
'gib' the way he sees fit.
May 5, 2004 9:12:01 PM

On Wed, 05 May 2004 12:10:10 -0400, Folk <Folk@folk.com> wrote:

>He's not mispronouncing 'giblet', he's pronouncing the made-up word
>'gib' the way he sees fit.

So we can all pronounce any words in any way we see fit?
May 5, 2004 10:15:33 PM

Andrew enlightened us with:
> So we can all pronounce any words in any way we see fit?

Of course you can! Perhaps people look at you a bit weird when you
mis-pronounce things, but you can pronounce any word any way you like.
And of course, all words are made up :)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
May 5, 2004 11:29:49 PM

On Wed, 05 May 2004 17:12:01 +0100, Andrew wrote:

>>He's not mispronouncing 'giblet', he's pronouncing the made-up word
>>'gib' the way he sees fit.

> So we can all pronounce any words in any way we see fit?

No, not "any words". The "made-up" words, like he said.

Linux Registered User #327951
May 6, 2004 1:45:21 PM

Dan C enlightened us with:
> No, not "any words". The "made-up" words, like he said.

Aren't all words "made-up" somehow?

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 11:22:16 PM

On Thu, 06 May 2004 09:45:21 +0200, MeltDown wrote:

>> No, not "any words". The "made-up" words, like he said.

> Aren't all words "made-up" somehow?

Well yeah, but I read that to mean "a word that we use which is not really
a word". Like "gib" or "hootchiewallabanger".

Linux Registered User #327951
May 7, 2004 1:46:35 AM

Apathy enlightened us with:
> "No, no, no. It's spelt 'Raymond Luxury-Yacht,' but it's pronounced
> 'Throat-Warbler Mangrove'."

LOL that's the best post in this thread so far ;-)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
May 7, 2004 9:29:15 AM

On Thu, 06 May 2004 19:22:16 -0500, Dan C
<youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote:

>Well yeah, but I read that to mean "a word that we use which is not really
>a word". Like "gib" or "hootchiewallabanger".

It is a word as we all know what it is and are discussing it. How to
pronounce it properly goes to the person who "invented" it, and that
has been established. If you want to mispronounce it and any other
words you think are wrong, that is up to you.
May 12, 2004 8:23:37 PM

Andrew wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 2004 15:09:22 +0100, "Martin" <martin@scotland.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I believe a soft g is correct, but I just think a hard g sounds
>> better, and I've said it that way from the start...
>
> Well, if you want to mispronounce giblet, thats up to you.

Well, I did say I was mispronouncing it. It's just that the hard g sounds a
bit more rock and roll.

(says the 40+ salary slave with mortgage, wife and 3 kids....)

;>)

Martin aka Tux
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 11:39:55 PM

On Wed, 05 May 2004 07:29:45 +0100, Andrew wrote:

> On Tue, 04 May 2004 22:07:37 -0400, "Christopher A. Shamis"

> Read Apathy's reply, its based on giblet (soft g) and does make sense.

I disagree, people (computer generated or otherwise) aren't made up of
chicken guts. Therefore, I think giblet, is a poor match. I still
maintain that gobbet (hard g; chunk of raw meat) is a better fit.

But, at any rate, I'm not losing sleep over either pronunciation;
regardless of its pedigree. :)

(I gave up the fight long ago, when irregardless[sic] became a word)
May 16, 2004 10:55:02 AM

On Sat, 15 May 2004 19:39:55 -0400, "Christopher A. Shamis"
<cshamis0@woh.rr.com> wrote:

>I disagree, people (computer generated or otherwise) aren't made up of
>chicken guts. Therefore, I think giblet, is a poor match. I still
>maintain that gobbet (hard g; chunk of raw meat) is a better fit.

You can disagree all you like, you didn't coin the word so its not
your call.
May 16, 2004 12:24:17 PM

On Sun, 16 May 2004 06:55:02 +0100, Andrew wrote:

>>I disagree, people (computer generated or otherwise) aren't made up of
>>chicken guts. Therefore, I think giblet, is a poor match. I still
>>maintain that gobbet (hard g; chunk of raw meat) is a better fit.

> You can disagree all you like, you didn't coin the word so its not
> your call.

Nor is it yours. As we've already discussed (ad nauseum) in here, it'll
be pronounced any goddam way an individual wants to. How do you like that?

Linux Registered User #327951
May 16, 2004 6:36:00 PM

On Sun, 16 May 2004 08:24:17 -0500, Dan C
<youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote:

>Nor is it yours. As we've already discussed (ad nauseum) in here, it'll
>be pronounced any goddam way an individual wants to. How do you like that?

If you want to babble words incoherently in public thats up to you,
just don't expect anyone to take you seriously.
May 16, 2004 6:36:01 PM

On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:36:00 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> sayeth:
>On Sun, 16 May 2004 08:24:17 -0500, Dan C
><youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote:
>
>>Nor is it yours. As we've already discussed (ad nauseum) in here, it'll
>>be pronounced any goddam way an individual wants to. How do you like that?
>
>If you want to babble words incoherently in public thats up to you,
>just don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

It's pronounced with a hard "g", as in "gourd". If you go around
pronouncing it "jib", you're gonna look like a fool around those
who have been around the online FPS scene a while.

You may have a group of friends who pronounce it otherwise, and
you're free to do so, but don't whine when people think you're
odd for pronouncing it wrong.

--
Chris B.
furrier@iglou.com

On 16 May 2004 14:26:04 -0400, furrier@iglou.com (Chris Bradley)
wrote:

>On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:36:00 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> sayeth:
>>On Sun, 16 May 2004 08:24:17 -0500, Dan C
>><youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote:
>>
>>>Nor is it yours. As we've already discussed (ad nauseum) in here, it'll
>>>be pronounced any goddam way an individual wants to. How do you like that?
>>
>>If you want to babble words incoherently in public thats up to you,
>>just don't expect anyone to take you seriously.
>
>It's pronounced with a hard "g", as in "gourd". If you go around
>pronouncing it "jib", you're gonna look like a fool around those
>who have been around the online FPS scene a while.
>
>You may have a group of friends who pronounce it otherwise, and
>you're free to do so, but don't whine when people think you're
>odd for pronouncing it wrong.

Heh.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 10:08:04 PM

> It's pronounced with a hard "g", as in "gourd". If you go around
> pronouncing it "jib", you're gonna look like a fool around those
> who have been around the online FPS scene a while.

Twoddle =] The guy who coined the phrase said it came from 'giblets'.
Gobbets were never mentioned. Were it the case, it would have been
'instagob', which it plainly isn't.

http://www.thehaus.net/dict.shtml

--
IWIK
Anonymous

On Mon, 17 May 2004 18:08:04 +0100, IWIK <alexAN.TIlivingstoneSP@ambtinternet.com> sayeth:
>> It's pronounced with a hard "g", as in "gourd". If you go around
>> pronouncing it "jib", you're gonna look like a fool around those
>> who have been around the online FPS scene a while.
>
>Twoddle =] The guy who coined the phrase said it came from 'giblets'.
>Gobbets were never mentioned. Were it the case, it would have been
>'instagob', which it plainly isn't.
>
>http://www.thehaus.net/dict.shtml

If the guy who coined the phrase walks around pronouncing it like "jib",
then he too is going to look like a fool around the overwhelming rest
of the world that pronounces it otherwise.

--
Chris B.
furrier@iglou.com

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:54:51 -0400, Chris Bradley wrote:

> If the guy who coined the phrase walks around pronouncing it like "jib",
> then he too is going to look like a fool around the overwhelming rest
> of the world that pronounces it otherwise.

Damn right. Sad how the use of proper English pronunciation has gone
downhill.

Linux Registered User #327951
May 18, 2004 10:35:23 AM

On Mon, 17 May 2004 19:37:20 -0500, Dan C
<youmustbejoking@invalid.org> wrote:

>Damn right. Sad how the use of proper English pronunciation has gone
>downhill.

Just as sad as the lowering IQ's of Usenet posters.
May 18, 2004 11:20:11 AM

# IWIK

> Twoddle =] The guy who coined the phrase said it came from 'giblets'.
> Gobbets were never mentioned. Were it the case, it would have been
> 'instagob', which it plainly isn't.

Instagob. What a great idea for a mod. Call me Captain Loogie!

--
Toby
asktoby.com

> Just as sad as the lowering IQ's of Usenet posters.

Buh? ;)

--
IWIK
Anonymous

> overwhelming rest of the world that pronounces it otherwise.

Just out of interest, how could you possibly know that?

--
IWIK
May 23, 2004 3:02:14 PM

IWIK enlightened us with:
> Twoddle =] The guy who coined the phrase said it came from 'giblets'.

Let's ask him to record his pronounciation of the word "instagib" and
put that file on a website somewhere ;-)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 4:11:11 PM

> Let's ask him to record his pronounciation of the word "instagib" and
> put that file on a website somewhere ;-)

You mean like a certain OS author? ;)
!