I have a strange XP issue that I'm hoping some guru can solve:

My computer was working fine when I switched it off to go on holiday last
week. When I returned and switched it on, it boots as far as displaying
"Applying computer settings ..." and then thats it! I can drag the dialog
box around on the screen and background services (like anti-virus) appear to
be running fine.

1. I am running XP Pro SP2 with the latest patches
2. I can boot okay using 'Safe with networking'
3. I have tried using msconfig to boot without loading startup items - no
improvement
4. I have tried using the install CD to 'repair existing installation' - no
improvement
5. I have tried hanging garlic over the screen and putting a spike through
the keyboard ....

Any suggestions very gratefully received!

Thanks

Colin

Colin Jack wrote:
> I have a strange XP issue that I'm hoping some guru can solve:
>
> My computer was working fine when I switched it off to go on holiday
> last week. When I returned and switched it on, it boots as far as
> displaying "Applying computer settings ..." and then thats it! I can
> drag the dialog box around on the screen and background services
> (like anti-virus) appear to be running fine.
>
> 1. I am running XP Pro SP2 with the latest patches
> 2. I can boot okay using 'Safe with networking'
> 3. I have tried using msconfig to boot without loading startup items
> - no improvement
> 4. I have tried using the install CD to 'repair existing
> installation' - no improvement
> 5. I have tried hanging garlic over the screen and putting a spike
> through the keyboard ....
>
> Any suggestions very gratefully received!

Have any APC software installed on it (APC UPS..)?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

No .. have an APC UPS on it but using the inbuilt XP power management to
monitor it

Colin

> Colin Jack wrote:
>> I have a strange XP issue that I'm hoping some guru can solve:
>>
>> My computer was working fine when I switched it off to go on holiday
>> last week. When I returned and switched it on, it boots as far as
>> displaying "Applying computer settings ..." and then thats it! I can
>> drag the dialog box around on the screen and background services
>> (like anti-virus) appear to be running fine.
>>
>> 1. I am running XP Pro SP2 with the latest patches
>> 2. I can boot okay using 'Safe with networking'
>> 3. I have tried using msconfig to boot without loading startup items
>> - no improvement
>> 4. I have tried using the install CD to 'repair existing
>> installation' - no improvement
>> 5. I have tried hanging garlic over the screen and putting a spike
>> through the keyboard ....
>>
>> Any suggestions very gratefully received!
>
> Have any APC software installed on it (APC UPS..)?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Check this one first:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329457

Else, disconnect all netorking devices - wifi, modem, or

Enable all (or one at a time for debugging) XP services (set them on
Automatic) while in Safe Mode.
Michael

Colin Jack wrote:
> No .. have an APC UPS on it but using the inbuilt XP power management
> to monitor it

Ah well - the old APC software is KNOWN to cause this problem. If you do
not have it or it's services installed - no worries.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Hmm ... checked out the knowledgebase article .. but I'm not even getting to
the login prompt! I'm also fully patched.

Will try disconnecting everything ;)

Colin

"Phillips" <afn18721@afn.org> wrote in message
> Check this one first:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329457
>
> Else, disconnect all netorking devices - wifi, modem, or
>
> Enable all (or one at a time for debugging) XP services (set them on
> Automatic) while in Safe Mode.
> Michael
>
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Colin Jack wrote:
>>> I have a strange XP issue that I'm hoping some guru can solve:
>>>
>>> My computer was working fine when I switched it off to go on holiday
>>> last week. When I returned and switched it on, it boots as far as
>>> displaying "Applying computer settings ..." and then thats it! I can
>>> drag the dialog box around on the screen and background services
>>> (like anti-virus) appear to be running fine.
>>>
>>> 1. I am running XP Pro SP2 with the latest patches
>>> 2. I can boot okay using 'Safe with networking'
>>> 3. I have tried using msconfig to boot without loading startup items
>>> - no improvement
>>> 4. I have tried using the install CD to 'repair existing
>>> installation' - no improvement
>>> 5. I have tried hanging garlic over the screen and putting a spike
>>> through the keyboard ....
>>>
>>> Any suggestions very gratefully received!
>>
>> Have any APC software installed on it (APC UPS..)?
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Another possible cause: System time - you have to have it to date in BIOS;
of course, it's very unlikely to have the system time reseted to some time
in the past unless you change the CMOS battery or reset BIOS.
Michael