A Disk Read Error Occurred..

what3ver

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
Hi.

I was browsing online, and randomly the internet stopped working, then i got the Blue screen of death and pc restarted..

When it first ran after restart, it didn't detect the hard drive, and went to the boot from CD screen.

I turned it off, and came back about an hour later, and now it detects the hard drive but I get Disk read error.

I had win7 x64 installed, and the hard drive has been working fine for 5 years.

I'm going to try reinstalling windows soon, see if that fixes it, if not, what could be the problem?

I don't really care about the data on the HDD. Would be preferable to keep, but most of the important stuff is backed up.

How do i check to see if my HDD is broken? It's recognized in BIOS

Boot from a CD/DVD and run tests.

UBCD has a long list of features and is completely free
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Hiren's has some good features too
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/

An HDD error can be caused by the motherboard, RAM, or PSU as well. Even the CPU can be the culprit... but all of those are less likely than the HDD going bad. They don't last forever.

what3ver

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
When i try format the disk it reads 'Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged', I guess that does mean my HDD is screwed up?

Probably, but there are no promises. Swapping in a good drive and successfully using it would prove the theory though. Take a little time to read the PSU guide linked in my sig. A poor power supply can lead to failed hardware.

dannylivesforher

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Guys,I got a problem here.Please help me.Today my system freezed and on restarting,I got the message:"A disk read error occured. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart"
So I thought it was the trouble with my HDD SATA cable,and replaced it with another one. But even after that,the problem persisted,and I happened to hear some clicking noise from my HDD at the time my system freezes. And so,I checked my HDD with HD Tune Pro and found no errors in Quick Checking. But under the Health tab,I get the following errors:

Drive has damaged sectors. Replaced Sectors:45
Number of sector replacement operations:54
Number of unstable sectors:8
There were communication errors:242 errors

So,what should I do? Is my Hard Disk about to die? If so,I should get the warranty.Please give me some information as to what's going on with my HDD.
Thanks in advance.

Replace the drive. Use the old drive just long enough to transfer anything you need from it. Then RMA.

... and don't resurrect old threads to ask questions. Make a new thread next time.

dannylivesforher

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Okay...Thanks for the info....But I wonder if it is some sort of bad sector issue and if it would be covered by the warranty.
And,yeah,next time I'll make a new thread bro... :)