Reclaiming files from 2 SATA hard drives

dantecantal

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
Hello,

My old computer was using two SATA hard drives. I got a new computer and bought a SATA to USB adapter. When I plug in one of the drives, I am able to use a file recovery program and can see the file names of every file I had. However, when I save the files to my computer, I can't access them. Is this because there is information on the other hard drive too? If so, is there a way for me to combine them and have the adapter recognize it as one? Thank you.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I'm assuming you don't have permission to read files. Here's what you can do:
1) Open the folder with copied files, press shift and right click inside the folder then choose 'open elevated command prompt'
2) Type icacls * /t /q /c /reset and press enter
3) Wait for the process to complete, you'll be notified with number of files successfully fixed, if everything went well, failed count should be 0

Tussin

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
i have a similar problem... my 500gb sata 2.0 drive just crashed.. i bought a usb 2 to sata adapter kit and have tried loading my old hd files... unresponsive... it doesnt detect the drive, only wants to try to format it. it says its designed for 2.5, 3.5, 5.25 sata drives... did i get the wrong adapter? it doesnt say for 2.0.

dantecantal

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

I should have worded my original post a little better haha. I am able to access the files but the images come up as an invalid image file and the videos don't play (even in VLC). But I am able to copy the files and they still have their original file names.

dantecantal

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

You may have to use a program to recovery the files. I use ReclaiMe File Recovery. It does cost money but it seems to be working as intended so far. I just hope my hard drive isn't damaged to the point where I can't recover the files. If you have any questions, email them. I've been getting really quick replies from them and they even offered a refund if I'm not able to recover my files.

Tussin

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
ok i tried reclaim and another program. still unable to read device. very frustrating to have 0 video tutorials online and even harder to find text ;p