digitalsamurai

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
I asked this in another category but maybe its better suited here.

I have a newly built HTPC and I'm building a workstation for my home studio. I've gathered most of the parts already for the new built except for the ram and PSU. While pricing out and researching PSU's I came to the conclusion that my current PSU for my HTPC (ANTECH Earthwatts 500) might be a bit much and maybe I can just switch it out for a smaller (400 watts) and cheaper PSU.

Here's my HTPC

-ASUS M4A785TD-M evo
-AMD PHENOM II X2 550 3.2
G-SKILL 4G 1600 DUAL
-1T SEAGATE hdd
-Antec Earthwatts 500

Graphics and sound are onboard for the moment, will be installing the XFX Radeon HD 5450 lowprofile for HD audio.

Here's my Workstaion so far

-Asus P7P55D-E pro
-Intel I5 760 2.8ghz (will OC 3.2)
-8 gigs memory planned
-XFX Radeon 5770 (will not crossfire)
-120g SSD SATA2 (extra space is a server)
-ASUS xonar essence.

My original plan was to get the Antec Earthwatts 650, but considering this will not be a gaming rig and Im not going to crossfire maybe 500 watts is more than enough. So should I just get a 400 watt PSU and switch it with the 500watt or should I just stick with my original plan?

Thanks

popatim

Titan
I have almost the exact same HTPC setup you have right now except I have the Athlonx3 440 and its running on a 250w PSU so yes you could swap down to a 400w in the HTPC with no ill effects and the 500w should handle the 5770 so you are golden!

TRENDING THREADS