ASUS M4A87TD DRAM LED at boot

zombiemoses

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
My computer shut off at a seemingly random time, the DRAM LED lit up then my computer reset. Now every time I boot up my machine the DRAM LED lights up for about 5 seconds then turns off. The computer boots and runs fine. It detects all the RAM I have installed. The manual wasn't helpful in this situation. Thinking the RAM went bad, I swapped it out one stick at a time and the DRAM LED didn't turn off. I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

Mother board: ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 x 2GB DDR3 sticks

zombiemoses

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I just replaced two sticks of 2GB RAM for two 4GB sticks (making my total RAM 12GB), the DRAM LED is still lighting up during boot. I pushed and held the MEM OK button for a few seconds after installing the new RAM while the computer was shut down hoping for a result. The computer started up and tested the RAM with no problems reported but the DRAM LED is still doing its thing...

zombiemoses

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Thank you for this! I will give it a try when I'm off work.

I just got off the horn with ASUS and they think the DRAM slots might be bad so they are issuing a RMA and giving me a brand new motherboard. I'm a little confused buy this because they didn't ask any questions about my issue. They just read the help ticket I submitted and asked if I wanted a replacement. Oh well I guess. A new mobo is a new mobo...

MrEs

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Haha win win, can't complain about a new board =)

Yea my PC would BSOD within 2 mins with 4 sticks until I followed the above post (namely step 5). Last night I could run my pc for ~8 hours no problems including 4 hours of prime95... which previously would have INSTANTLY failed .