Sign in with
Your question

Non-Genuine Windows 7 to Genuine Windows 8 HELP

Last response: in Windows 8
January 6, 2013 7:04:51 AM

I just built my first PC, and bought a copy of Windows 7 online for cheap. I installed it, and it turns out it's not genuine. =/ I want my new PC to be genuine, so I was wondering if it would be possible to upgrade to Windows 8 over that for the $40 price..
January 6, 2013 7:10:14 AM

Yes, Windows 8 does have an upgrade feature, it will give you the option to do this during the installation.

It should still work with any copy of windows 7.
January 6, 2013 7:15:41 AM

Thank you. I spent more than my budget on my build.. I don't think be able to buy another full price OS..
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 6, 2013 7:33:53 AM

You didnt buy the first one at full price as you said you got it cheap. Shoulda been your first clue it wasnt genuine.
January 6, 2013 7:41:10 AM

I didn't mean another. I meant a. I was thinking of it as a component of my PC.. My bad.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
January 6, 2013 8:06:57 AM

No you can't. Windows must be genuine and even if you could it would be piracy. Return it, report it to the vendor, and if they won't issue a new key or refund report it to your credit card company as fraud so they stop payment. Then go buy a LEGAL copy. There is no such thing as windows 7 "for cheap"
January 6, 2013 8:09:45 AM

I was afraid of that. I suppose I'll just have to buy the "System Builder" version of Windows 8...
January 6, 2013 8:15:57 AM

unksol said:
No you can't. Windows must be genuine and even if you could it would be piracy. Return it, report it to the vendor, and if they won't issue a new key or refund report it to your credit card company as fraud so they stop payment. Then go buy a LEGAL copy. There is no such thing as windows 7 "for cheap"

On this note, I would just like to ask if you've tried requesting a refund or reported a fraud transaction to your card company? What usually are the requirements for such claims? Thank you.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
January 6, 2013 8:56:10 AM

chocostain said:
On this note, I would just like to ask if you've tried requesting a refund or reported a fraud transaction to your card company? What usually are the requirements for such claims? Thank you.

You'd have to talk to your credit card company or look I their site. almost all have fraud protection. Usually a simple "dispute this purchase" and give a reason online, or on your credit card bill. Common reasons being you did not authorize the charge, did not recurve the product, or product received was not as described which is what I would go with. Usually its a very simple process, and the credit card company doesn't pay them and notifies them its been contested. I've only had to use it for a random purchase at a store I had never been to, and a card being stolen.

If they sold you a fake version of windows, said it was real, and won't fix it then they are wrong, should not get paid, and probably wont contest it at all. If is a COMPANY or website doing it may want to notify Microsoft's fraud department too. Not that helps you.

If you bought it off, God forbid, Ebay, they have buyer protection.
!